Options

Films that have stayed most true to the book

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
What films do you think have stayed most true to the books, or let's say comics as well, they were based on?

Comments

• Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    What films do you think have stayed most true to the books, or let's say comics as well, they were based on?

I think the 1985 film of A Room with A View is very good because it sticks closely to the book. :)
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Comics is such a different beast as the origins of characters have been retold and rebooted so many times. So many fans have come into the comics at different eras, with different origin stories, so to do a definitive version that on a whole was true to the comics would be near impossible. If a film adaptation stays true the the character of the main protagonist and has an original story, then I am happy.

As for novels, I'll have to give that some thought.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albeit for the exclusion of a few characters here and there, most 70s/80s Agatha Christie adaptations such as Death On The Nile are very faithful to the novel.

It always surprises me how uppity people get about adaptations missing characters and scenes. I mean, seriously, how do you fit everything from a book into 1 hour 45 minutes? You can't.

But books that are rewritten and altered beyond recognition - well that's entirely different.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watchmen stuck almost exactly to the comic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Albeit for the exclusion of a few characters here and there, most 70s/80s Agatha Christie adaptations such as Death On The Nile are very faithful to the novel.

It always surprises me how uppity people get about adaptations missing characters and scenes. I mean, seriously, how do you fit everything from a book into 1 hour 45 minutes? You can't.

But books that are rewritten and altered beyond recognition - well that's entirely different.

I think most people do realise that, but if you're a big fan of a particular character or moment in a book and it's either cut or not played as you want it, it can be disappointing and it can leave you wishing they'd cut something else. Not that I'd ever lose sleep over it, however.

Admittedly I watched the film before I read the book, but when I read The Hunger Games I was surprised by how little they'd missed out. They had to play some things differently, i.e. by showing commentators talking about the arena, given that we lacked access to the protagonist's thoughts (the unfortunate shortcoming of most adaptations). I might think differently when I re-watch it, though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Shining remake/mini series was purposely made to be closer to the book as the Kubrick version was his vision and King wanted a closer adaptation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

I was thinking that after my previous post about comic book adaptations. It worked because watchmen hasn't been rebooted or expanded upon, well until now post movie.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

Ahem.....

http://www.avclub.com/articles/book-vs-film-watchmen,24746/
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The Shining remake/mini series was purposely made to be closer to the book as the Kubrick version was his vision and King wanted a closer adaptation.

And it was terrible. Stephen King should never be let anywhere near a movie camera or a script for that matter.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Godfather, one boring subplot aside, is a pretty true adaptation of the book.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Help was very true to the book
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say Watchmen. Although the ending is very different (and imo is actually better) loads of the script/lines was taken exactly from the graphic novel. It does stay true to the original, all of the characters are the same, etc. Zack Snyder did not mess with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, there's also the BBC adaptation of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (admittedly a series, but I saw it on VHS where all the episodes were merged together as a film, so this is how I've always seen it). I remember having the book out in front of me when I was younger, and the cast were saying exactly the same lines as the characters, word for word.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile, if I remember rightly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Sin City
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brighton Rock. (b/w version)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until the introduction of Mina reing the reincarnation of his dead wife, and falling in love with Dracula, the Francis Ford Coppola film version of Dracula was doing rather well. Most film versions can't find space to fit in Dr Seward, Lord Holmwood and Quincey Morris.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawshank Redemption (apart from Red in the book is a red-haired, white-skinned Irishman).
    Firestarter.
    Pet Semetary.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The animal factory
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the first and last 5 minutes, the Ghost(writer) was an almost word for word adaptation of the Robert Harris novel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Until the introduction of Mina reing the reincarnation of his dead wife, and falling in love with Dracula, the Francis Ford Coppola film version of Dracula was doing rather well. Most film versions can't find space to fit in Dr Seward, Lord Holmwood and Quincey Morris.

It was hailed at the time as being the truest Dracula adaptation to the book. Never got why really. The Mina story is really a huge change from the book, not to mention the appearance of Dracula in his various forms.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    David Lean's 'Great Expectations'. Apart from the ending.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Apart from missing out all of the roadside café stuff.

From Russia With Love. Slightly changed train fight sequence and SPECTRE is included in the film.

Dr. No. SPECTRE is included in the film and a different death for Dr. No.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosemary's Baby.
  • Options
    TedBovisTedBovis Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Jaws.
    The Exorcist.

Both adapted almost word for word.
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philosopher's Stone (Extended) and Chamber Of Secrets (Extended) are both highly faithful to their source material.