Options

What should I do if the university library refuses to give me lenience in returning a

Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...book someone has requested?

Basically, I set off to return it today. However, there were problems with tyre pressure and later the car broke down. The book is due in tomorrow and we don't want to risk it; equally, I don't want to pay to go on the train (it's not a local university) for the sake of dropping off a library book.

My Dad's contacting the university to explain it because if I did, I would get annoyed if they refused to be lenient and shout down the phone. But what should I do if they refuse to be lenient because I really don't want to pay a £2 fine for something that's not my fault?

Comments

• Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    My Dad's contacting the university to explain it because if I did, I would get annoyed if they refused to be lenient and shout down the phone.

Why? Do you have abnormally sensitive ears?
    But what should I do if they refuse to be lenient because I really don't want to pay a £2 fine for something that's not my fault?

It is your fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Why? Do you have abnormally sensitive ears?
    No. Because I have occasionally had trouble controlling my anger when I'm stressed.

It is your fault.

It's not my fault if a car has broken down.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I don't think a £2 fine is neither here or there. It's a very small amount. Just pay the fine and then forget about it, if you can't easily get to the university to return the book.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad just rang the university and they said they offer no leniency for people not being able to drop books off due to their stupid policy. However, they said they'll let me get away without paying the fine if I send the book via post with a first class stamp.

I think their policy is totally wrong, though and told them so on Twitter. It's ridiculous that if something goes wrong that's not your fault, they don't take it into account. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies people. But even though I'm not going to have a fine, I still think it's unfair of their policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not my fault if a car has broken down.

Perhaps you should have returned the book sooner given that ...
    The book is due in tomorrow ...
    But what should I do if they refuse to be lenient because I really don't want to pay a £2 fine for something that's not my fault?

Take a deep breath, pay up like a brave little soldier and think of it as just one step along the the learning curve of life.

Alternatively, ask your dad for the money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what they say, shit happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Dad just rang the university and they said they offer no leniency for people not being able to drop books off due to their own lack of forethought.

Corrected for accuracy.
    However, they said they'll let me get away without paying the fine if I send the book via post with a first class stamp.

So they do exercise leniency after all.
    I think their policy is totally wrong, though and told them so on Twitter. It's ridiculous that if something goes wrong that's not your fault, they don't take it into account. >:(

They have taken it into account.

Would someone please direct me to the "throwing toys out of pram" smiley.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    University Libraries - there's a memory - I got the "we cannot confirm your graduation until you return your books" letter 30 years ago after not returning any all term - It really isn't fair on everybody if they aren't strict on returning books - I recognise that now.

Everyone moved the books in the library too (so that nobody else found them) - so you'd find your physics book in the history section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Corrected for accuracy.
    Inaccurate. No way we could have known the car would break down on the way.

So they do exercise leniency after all.
    Not really because first class postage still means they get it on the day it is due. Therefore there's no leniency, it's just expected on the day regardless of problems.

They have taken it into account.
    See above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    University Libraries - there's a memory - I got the "we cannot confirm your graduation until you return your books" letter 30 years ago after not returning any all term - It really isn't fair on everybody if they aren't strict on returning books - I recognise that now.

Everyone moved the books in the library too (so that nobody else found them) - so you'd find your physics book in the history section.

I would expect people to understand in this situation (in the original post).
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    My Dad just rang the university and they said they offer no leniency for people not being able to drop books off due to their stupid policy. However, they said they'll let me get away without paying the fine if I send the book via post with a first class stamp.

No. Because I have occasionally had trouble controlling my anger when I'm stressed.

Really?

Equally, neither is it the fault of the person who has eserved the book, turning up to collect it and it not being there leaving them a wasted journey.

The fine is for a late return. If you return it late .....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Really?

Equally, neither is it the fault of the person who has eserved the book, turning up to collect it and it not being there leaving them a wasted journey.

The fine is for a late return. If you return it late .....

As I said, I'm sure they would be perfectly understanding if they knew the circumstances.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    As I said, I'm sure they would be perfectly understanding if they knew the circumstances.

But the fact is you have the opportunity to return it, but choose not to. (using the train)

If the boot was on the other foot, and you'd traveled in by train to collect a book you'd reserved, and were told you couldn't have it as it hadn't been returned as "I'm sure they had a good reason", how would you react?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    But the fact is you have the opportunity to return it, but choose not to. (using the train)
    Yeah but the train ticket would be a fair bit to pay just to return a book then go home. I would only do that if I had another reason for going to the university.
    If the boot was on the other foot, and you'd traveled in by train to collect a book you'd reserved, and were told you couldn't have it as it hadn't been returned as "I'm sure they had a good reason", how would you react?

It would depend on the reason. If it was because of a car breaking down, I'd be understandable.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies people. But even though I'm not going to have a fine, I still think it's unfair of their policy.

You only think it is unfair because in this instance you feel that is gives you personally a disadvantage.

However, when setting their policy they need to consider everybody and not just you - in particular they need to be fair to the person who wants to borrow it next.

Just think if you were that next person in line for the book and how you would react if the library said "sorry sir, we have no policy that enables us to insist that a book be returned on time and the person who has the book now can more or less keep it forever or until they get their car fixed, so you will need to complete your assignment without being able to read the referenced text"

And yes, it is your responsibility that your car broke down. I agree you could not have predicted it, but it is still your responsibility. And you yourself said that you opted not to do the journey by alternate means (train,bus) so that means you and you alone made the decision that you were not going to meet the deadline.

And if they did have a clause in their lending policy that you can return a book, say 3 days after the due date then that date+3 will become the defacto due date everybody uses which will render the grace period meaningless and then you'd be complaining they would not give you a fourth day because you'd planned to return it at the end of the +3.

So in short. It may not seem fair, because life itself isn't "fair" (or at least it isn't a phantasmagorical wonderment designed to be totally in your favour all the time). Get used to it or you're going to spend you whole life shouting down the phone at people who are just trying to do a job of work in order to pay their rent.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised the OP can make it out the front door each morning without collapsing through outrage at a perfectly reasonable everyday situation.

It's ok daddy will take care of it...
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sooooo unfair!!!! *flounces out and slams door*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

Just think if you were that next person in line for the book and how you would react if the library said "sorry sir, we have no policy that enables us to insist that a book be returned on time and the person who has the book now can more or less keep it forever or until they get their car fixed, so you will need to complete your assignment without being able to read the referenced text"
    It's not a question of no policy though, is it?

It's a question of leniency for a book to be returned after its due date if someone is unable to return it due to a problem.

If I was the other person and I knew the reason for the book not being returned yet, then I would be understanding of the situation.
    And yes, it is your responsibility that your car broke down.
    No because:

1. It's not my car.

2. I wasn't the driver.

3. It wasn't a predictable event.
    I agree you could not have predicted it, but it is still your responsibility.
    Not when it isn't your car and you're not the driver. Even if it was your car and/or you were the driver, I think there should be leniency because it's not like you set off thinking 'The car's going to break down today...I'll risk it!'.
    And you yourself said that you opted not to do the journey by alternate means (train,bus) so that means you and you alone made the decision that you were not going to meet the deadline.
    Why should I have paid extra expense for something that was not my fault?
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a question of no policy though, is it?

It's a question of leniency for a book to be returned after its due date if someone is unable to return it due to a problem.

If I was the other person and I knew the reason for the book not being returned yet, then I would be understanding of the situation.

No because:

1. It's not my car.

2. I wasn't the driver.

3. It wasn't a predictable event.

Not when it isn't your car and you're not the driver. Even if it was your car and/or you were the driver, I think there should be leniency because it's not like you set off thinking 'The car's going to break down today...I'll risk it!'.

If you borrow, or lease anything, that has to be returned by a certain date, and you refuse to return this "thing" by that date, then you are at fault.

It's no good saying "The car broke down" or "My dad normally drives me but today he couldn't" and basically crying that it's not your fault.

It is your fault because you didn't guarantee that the item in question - in this instance a book - was returned by the agreed date.

The second that your dad's car started playing up or his tyre went down or whatever your flaky excuse as to how it happened occurred, it is up to you to make alternative arrangements to ensure that you still keep your end of the bargain. You didn't have an alternative plan in mind if the first plan didn't work. So it is YOUR fault. Nobody else's. Stop crying about it.

Why were YOU depending upon a car that has low tyre pressure and breaks down to get you where you wanted to go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you borrow, or lease anything, that has to be returned by a certain date, and you refuse to return this "thing" by that date, then you are at fault.

It's no good saying "The car broke down" or "My dad normally drives me but today he couldn't" and basically crying that it's not your fault.
    I admit if the latter was the excuse, it would not be acceptable and it would be my fault. But I don't believe the former is anybody's fault.

What would happen if somebody ended up in a major accident? They could hardly expect said person to limp into the library and return the book.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I strongly doubt that. I think you would be on twitter complaining about it.

As a fully grown adult you have the responsibility to attend to your duties.

When YOU borrowed the book YOU agreed to their terms, and therefore when YOU don't meet the responsibility that YOU took upon to return the book on time, then YOU are responsible for YOUR fine.

The circumstances around WHY you did not meet that deadline are utterly irrelevant.

Stop looking for fault and blame, stuff in the real world isn't that clear cut. Crappy things happen and sometimes they cost us a couple of quid. Big deal. Welcome to being an adult.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if somebody ended up in a major accident? They could hardly expect said person to limp into the library and return the book.

They'll pay two quid and have done with it. Then they can worry about their broken leg.

The reason behind why you didn't return it is irrelevent. It is of NO concern to either the library or the person who has reserved this book for tomorrow as to WHY you didn't keep your end of the bargain. But, if you can't keep your end of the bargain (and let's face it, a two pound fine is nothing) then don't try to pass the buck.

Who do you think should accept the blame? Your dad? After all, he's the one who doesn't inflate his tyres (or ensure other parts of his car are working by the sound of it). Are you going to pass the fine on to him, or ask him to pay the postage to return this book, or ask him to pay your bus or train fare to get to the library before tomorrow? Was he charging you something for agreeing to take you in the first place, in this death-trap car of his?
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ever get a job, you will be in for lots of big shocks, with your attitude, you will probably be sacked very quickly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I strongly doubt that. I think you would be on twitter complaining about it.
    Not if I knew the reason.

As a fully grown adult you have the responsibility to attend to your duties.
    Providing the duties can be attended. I think the library would expect someone to risk their life to bring a due book to them.
    When YOU borrowed the book YOU agreed to their terms, and therefore when YOU don't meet the responsibility that YOU took upon to return the book on time, then YOU are responsible for YOUR fine.
    That I did. But I expected that if something went wrong, there would be some leniency offered.
    The circumstances around WHY you did not meet that deadline are utterly irrelevant.
    Hardly.

The circumstances are why it couldn't happen as intended.
This discussion has been closed.