Why do people drive different to they were taught?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
For the drivers. Every time I drive I subconsciously recall what I was taught - by my Dad and by the instructor in the lessons I had.

Make your intent clear
Mirror, signal, manoeuvre
Travel at the speed limit if conditions allow
Don't speed
Hold the wheel properly

You know, the usual.

But when I am driving I am seeing so few people doing as they should. I am seeing people just resting their arm on top of the steering wheel (what's that about?), not travelling at the correct speed (usually too fast), fiddling with things and swerving about in the lane, not making their intent clear and just not driving as good as they should. They would certainly fail any test driving like that.

Why is it that people make an effort to do different to what they were instructed? I though my lessons were valuable and they have helped me keep a clean licence and not have an accident. The weird driving styles I see around me make me all the more glad that I am not one of them and can keep safe. So have you integrated what you were taught with real world driving experience? Have you managed to keep safe on the roads when others are driving all cranky?

Comments

• RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad habits creep in with no one telling them to stop. They'll carry on with whatever feels more comfortable to them.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holding the steering wheel differently and driving faster than you'd like are not necessarily as unsafe as 'swerving about'. I think you need to make a distinction.

Personally I drive in a way that I feel is safe and comfortable. I'm not going to hold myself stiffly when there's nobody watching me to make sure I'm doing it.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    You pick up your own habits
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Im pretty sure I would fail my test if I took it tomorrow. I was taught to hold the wheel at a '10 to 2' position and to pass it between my hands when I turn it. That doesnt happen. I passed in May 2000 so over 15 years bad habits have developed.

I still remember doing my theory test with pen and paper, none of this touchscreen business.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,253
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    You pick up your own habits

Exactly.
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    You pick up your own habits. After a a while you become relaxed, with not as much thought given to what your doing
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Ah yes..... Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre........ this is usually the first thing to go out of the window. Too many bad drivers on the roads these days. :cool:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes..... Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre........ this is usually the first thing to go out of the window.
    Yep.
    I think power steering makes it easy to use just a couple of fingers.

I have never bothered with the handbrake on a 3 point turn though (unless there is some sort of gradient).
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Ah yes..... Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre........ this is usually the first thing to go out of the window. Too many bad drivers on the roads these days. :cool:

I suffered the effect of someone not being bothered with this when taking the family on holiday a couple of years back. Car was loaded and I was on a derestricted road and the person in front was wanting to turn into a cart track and would need to nearly come to a halt to do this. Sad thing was I got no signal at all apart from the brake lights...which did not mean much as the road was completely empty. I lifted off and covered the brake but soon realised he had braked hard - on an clear road. I braked hard and just about managed to stop but the car behind me had to take evasive action and was VERY angry.

Its a shame that 'developing your own style' or 'habits' are always negative traits. Why not make being more observant a habit - or being more courteous?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    As with everything, familiarity leads to cutting corners (metaphorically and literally) and bad habits.

I wouldn't say I adhere to everything I was taught eg I don't always drive with my hands at the ten-to-two position.
    I always use my mirrors before manoeuvering though, and indicate when necessary.
    I can't abide drivers who don't indicate at roundabouts.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Does anyone who has passed years ago still feed the steering wheel like they were taught? I stopped doing it about a week after my test.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most drivers just do what is needed to get their licence then don't bother after that!

Non indication, drivers trying to barge through when it's not their right of way & drivers too close behind you are my main gripes!
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, people trying to barge in by speeding down the right hand lane and people not indicating (usually at roundabouts) are easily the biggest bugbears.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Because the sitting upright, 10-2 hand position can only be done at the sorts for speed you do when you are learning. Only you are past the scared sh!tless stage and are confident to drive at a reasonable safe but faster speed, you just can't do that 10-2 feeding the wheel through your hands stuff. You also don't have time to nicely and gently go down through each gear like you can do at learning speeds, so you just miss out a few gears and brake.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Also you do it a certain way as the object of the exercise is passing the test. Passing tests in anything and real life are often different. People can have paper qualifications in many things and all that means is that once they passed a test. It's doesn't always translate into being good at a job and learning when to apply what they know and when not to.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone who has passed years ago still feed the steering wheel like they were taught? I stopped doing it about a week after my test.
    I have to admit, no, I don't. Haven't 'Tea-Trayed' for years........ :cool:
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because stuff like 'feeding the wheel' and adopting a 10-to-2 hand position are pointless and uncomfortable. You drive 'correctly' because you want to pass the test and drive by yourself - not because it's the best way to drive.

Stuff like not indicating, no M-S-M and the like are down to lack of consideration rather than a conscious effort to drive like an arse..
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Drivers are taught to pass a test. What happens afterwards are accumulated habits.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I was taught to hold the wheel at a '10 to 2' position and to pass it between my hands when I turn it.

I was taught this way as well, but lets be honest, does ANYONE actually drive like this?!!
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I was taught this way as well, but lets be honest, does ANYONE actually drive like this?!!
    Police Area Car drivers do i believe. :cool:
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

I tend to feed the wheel still, but I have picked up a load of other bad habits...like singing along with Taylor Swift..
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Police Area Car drivers do i believe. :cool:

Its so that you are never at a point where you have less control of the wheel. This was more important in the days when you had steering kickback on rough roads (steering box, not rack and pinion). Reaching the point of 'crossed arms' is a point where your steering is limited. These days it is less important but it is still the only way to have both hands on the wheel and maximum control.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Also you do it a certain way as the object of the exercise is passing the test. Passing tests in anything and real life are often different. People can have paper qualifications in many things and all that means is that once they passed a test. It's doesn't always translate into being good at a job and learning when to apply what they know and when not to.

I'd say this is it. You are taught to pass the test, not taught to survive the 250000 miles you might drive in a lifetime. You dont get taught to drive on motorways, for instance. And boy, does that show! Something intensely irritating to more experienced drivers is people who dont progress, drive better with experience. You know why insurance companies prefer and give better rates to older, more experienced drivers? If you don't know, you probably shoundnt be driving, you lack humility.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to feed the wheel still, but I have picked up a load of other bad habits...like singing along with Taylor Swift..
    If the traffic rozzers catch you doing that they immediately seize your car and it gets sent to the crushers, with you still inside :o:D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You aren't taught to flash other drivers to exit a side road, pull closer to the left when a cyclist is approaching in the other lane (to give more space for oncoming cars to overtake), or other advanced skills so post-passing your test, you develop new skills and drop those that no longer add any value to your (or anyone else's) driving experience.