Options

Wanted Down Under

PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone as irritated by this as I am but find it strangely addictive TV?

The family today really annoyed me - the kids are barely out of their teens and the parents are desparate to bugger off and start a new life for themsleves and the youngest child.......their life and environment (on Scotlands lovely West Coast) was equal to that in their surroundings in New Zealand!

It seems like the BBC is on an agenda to depart this country of its skilled workforce and sell them this glossy brochure of life down under. Anyone member of the family who is not sold on this image is een as a "problem" amd must be won over.

I can speak from experience that the grass is not always greener - my family emigrated in the late 70s to Australia and we came back after 2 years and have never looked back.(1 was 11 )

And whats going on with Nikki bloody Chapman?? what a useles bint she is!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come and sweat in 114 degrees (and that is Melbourne). :eek:
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch it much, but it does seems like we are all paying for them to go on a free holiday, and all they have to do is look at a few houses in return :mad:

And nearly always they end up coming home twirling their stupid flag cards.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    The dad on today's edition struck me as being incredibly selfish, although I think the mum was a bit of a wet lettuce - she should have stood her ground better.
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch it much, but it does seems like we are all paying for them to go on a free holiday, and all they have to do is look at a few houses in return :mad:
    And nearly always they end up coming home twirling their stupid flag cards.

Never really though about it like that before!:mad:

Further deepens my argument that the BBC along with our pathetic govt are trying to rid the country of the skilled workforce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I'd love to know what happened to the family who moved to NZ without the dad because they couldn't sell the house in UK. It felt as if the production people put them in situations that got a bit too emotional, that felt a bit uncomfortable. But I suppose if you agree to go on a TV programme you know what you're in for.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the BBC could do a sideline as relocation consultants...
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are addicted to this programme too, and record it to watch in the evening, as we do with the current series of Wanted Down Under Revisited.

We miss Nadia Sawalha as she added a touch of humanity and warmth which is missing now. It does seem to have been pared down this year compared to previous series and it doesnt appear that Nicky Chapman ever meets the applicants, whereas Nadia Sawalha always met them at Australia House to help them choose a location.

Some of Nicky Chapman's pieces to camera seem to be identical in each programme and are just cut and pasted in each programme for cheapness. They all visit in winter and the houses they view are selected more along the lines of what they can afford on their budget, which keeps being emphasized.

We thought it was quite ridiculous to put up one family who had a gorgeous house in Scotland in a wooden holiday cottage in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand, where they weren't even given enough wood for the wood burning stove so had to burn pine cones all night!

I thought I had heard that the Australian and New Zealand Tourist Boards contributed to the programmes' costs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that the family who stayed in the log cabin moved into a hotel as the cabin was too basic.
    I'd love to know what's happened to the family that left the Dad behind while they went to live in Christchurch.
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davemba wrote: »
    Come and sweat in 114 degrees (and that is Melbourne). :eek:

Blimey, that's hot, water boils at around 100!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, that's hot, water boils at around 100!

That's 100 centigrade, Australia is 100 fahrenheit! :eek: :D;);)
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too old and trained in the wrong job (railway) to go to Aus or NZ or even the U.S. :cry:
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister and her husband emigrated out there too Brisbane and they love it.
    They will never come back here too live.
    They become Australian citizens this month.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I always thought the BBC could do a sideline as relocation consultants...

Hehe,

BBC Estate Agents
    BBC Relocation Agency

Or they can just rename the BBC to BRC (British Relocation Corporation ;))

*smallprint* let licence fee payers send you for a free holiday to australia, or sample lots of houses whilst getting on tv as a bonus
    :rolleyes:
    :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying but strangely compelling.

What I don't get is when one of the teenage kids says 'I'm not moving coss I've got a boyfriend in the UK'. The parents always let them have a choice. What they hell is going on with modern parenting? When I was a kid if my parents had wanted to emigrate and I hadn't wanted to go they'd have just said tough luck, get used to it.

Nicki Chapman is supremely irritating - what's the point of her? She never actually meets the families. They could just have someone doing a voice over like on Come Dine With Me. Taking the mick out of the families would improve the show no end!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicki Chapman is supremely irritating - what's the point of her? She never actually meets the families. They could just have someone doing a voice over like on Come Dine With Me. Taking the mick out of the families would improve the show no end!

Swahala was better though she's been in the irritating Place in the Sun/Escape to the Sun beforehand

I'd quite like to see that return now and see how the expats are coping with the recession
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    My sister and her husband emigrated out there too Brisbane and they love it.
    They will never come back here too live.
    They become Australian citizens this month.

It's nearly 2 years since my sister and her family went to Melbourne. I don't think they will ever come back either, they have got a lovely life out there.

I'm watching these programmes with interest as one of them - not sure whether it was Wanted Down Under or a similar programme on another channel - was partly filmed at a Melbourne restaraunt where my nephew works as a pastry chef.