The voice of BT - 1471

PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
Forum Member
Does anyone know who the voice is for 1471?

It's the same lady who says "the number you have dialled has not been recognised, please check and try again".

To my knowledge, it's been the same voice since 1994, yet despite my continued research, I cannot for life of me find out who it is.

Comments

• Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it may be the same voice who was on cable, then Telewest. I have often wondered who it is.

Thinking back - i am sure i remember an advert back in the late 90's and i think she was in her late 20's/ early 30's with blonde hair in a bob-cut style...but i cannot remember her name...but i know exactly who you mean though. :p
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    It's been over a year and I'm still very curious about this.

My quest may have moved a step forward today when I called HSBC and (I believe) I heard this woman as the automated voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    It's my mum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were electronically generated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

Well there's your answer, It's Frankenstein's Monster. :D
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

I definitely remember reading that they recorded a cross section of different ages and genders, and then electronically combined them to come up with a voice that wouldn't be too offensive to anyone, but I don't remember if they then selected the person with the voice most closely resembling this 'average' to record the messages or actually used a computer generated 'average voice'.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the voice is for 1471?

It's the same lady who says "the number you have dialled has not been recognised, please check and try again".

To my knowledge, it's been the same voice since 1994, yet despite my continued research, I cannot for life of me find out who it is.

IT'S DA COMPOOTAH.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will find a number for BT Swindon (Head Office and Research) somewhere. Phone them up and ask them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1471 might be Martlesham and Ipswich
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I am half cut and on my own this New Years Eve.

My Ring tone is a BT Public Red Telephone Box....it is very loud and scares the hell out of other shoppers when I am on the high st.
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    _ben wrote: »
    I definitely remember reading that they recorded a cross section of different ages and genders, and then electronically combined them to come up with a voice that wouldn't be too offensive to anyone, but I don't remember if they then selected the person with the voice most closely resembling this 'average' to record the messages or actually used a computer generated 'average voice'.

Nope. A clear example of the person talking is on the BT Choose to refuse service or 1471 Extra service, its a real person. lol
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    The same voice is now used on HSBC numbers.

0800 032 1770 - automated

EDIT - oops, already mentioned this here. But it just goes to show how difficult this is to answer.

I also phoned up BT Head Office and they had no idea.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure (99%) that it is some sort of synthesis/electronic voice.

I'm sure I've read that before. Ergo you probably find the 'rights' to the software or whatever creates it can be sold (in this case, to HSBC)
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow this is an old thread... and when did andy calton get made inactive?
  • Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    It probably is the same person.

Its part of BT's IVR service what they provide for companies, the same one for BT Business 152 is the same as the DWP helpline.

I heard that when these people die or quit the job they replace them with somone else, thats what happened with the talking clock.

In fact the talking clock on Virgin Media is now different to the BT one, it looks like they have there own.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably is the same person.

Its part of BT's IVR service what they provide for companies, the same one for BT Business 152 is the same as the DWP helpline.

I heard that when these people die or quit the job they replace them with somone else, thats what happened with the talking clock.

In fact the talking clock on Virgin Media is now different to the BT one, it looks like they have there own.

I'll re-iterate,

I'm 99% sure that it's synthesised or artificial in some shape or form.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why it is that whenever an old thread gets re-energised, there is always at least one 'Inactive member' who has posted in it?
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I worked for BT we had a contract with RBoS just after Natwest merged with them and they needed a job done where a recording needed to be put on the main Natwest number advising them that the number will be changing.

It was me who got to do the recording. Took about 10 goes though :D

So in answer to the OP its probably some BT office monkey who picked up the request first
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing company, what about the female voice on Orange? Is she on Helium?
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    When I worked for BT we had a contract with RBoS just after Natwest merged with them and they needed a job done where a recording needed to be put on the main Natwest number advising them that the number will be changing.

It was me who got to do the recording. Took about 10 goes though :D

So in answer to the OP its probably some BT office monkey who picked up the request first

At a place I used to work, they got some ordinary member of the public to come in and record the voice annunciations for an avionics system. The poor woman had to sit there saying things like "altitude! altitude!" and "terrain - pull up! terrain - pull up!". She looked thoroughly bemused by the whole thing, but did very well. Disappointingly they got a computer to do the whoop whoop noises, I would have loved it if they'd had her going "whoop whoop whoop" Red Dwarf style :D
  • DJPTDJPT Posts: 4,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the voice is Eleanor Bron.
    In 1985, Bron was selected for her authoritative tone to become "the voice of BT" and can be heard on various error messages such as "Please hang up and try again".
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJPT wrote: »
    I believe the voice is Eleanor Bron.

Is that the same voice?
    I'm not certain but from what I remember the error voice is a much harsher sounding woman than the nice 1471 lady.
    Who does indeed sound a bit robotic.

Just imagine the mischief that could be done if someone got their hands on that software....mwa haha
  • Mrs RiversMrs Rivers Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    I think it may be the same voice who was on cable, then Telewest. I have often wondered who it is.

Thinking back - i am sure i remember an advert back in the late 90's and i think she was in her late 20's/ early 30's with blonde hair in a bob-cut style...but i cannot remember her name...but i know exactly who you mean though. :p

..if the person above is still looking in, you're probably correct, and that person is or was an actress at the time. She used to play in local theatre often alongside well known actors from Soaps, on tour and she fits the physical description you state.

She was at Eastbourne doing a drama and I remember reading about it in her mini biography in the shows programme. Unfortunately, I cannot remember her name or whether it said she was the voice of Orange or BT.
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of related, my Mum thinks that when the BT callminder voice says 'the caller did not leave a message', she sounds really cross about it!
    Forum Member
    Subrosa wrote: »
    Kind of related, my Mum thinks that when the BT callminder voice says 'the caller did not leave a message', she sounds really cross about it!

And when she says 'message deleted' she sounds rather sad.

Before they got a new system there was a Virgin Trains announcement that sounded like the same woman. When she said 'please stand well clear of the platform edge, the train approaching does not stop here' she sounded really wistful as if remembering a long gone time when even the most minor rural stations had a regular service.