Simon Cowell and his credibility

GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I little bit of history for you:

X Factor 1 winner: Steve Brookstein - Dropped
X Factor 2 winner: Shayne Ward - Flopped, likely to be dropped.
X Factor 3 winner: Leona Lewis - Successful
X Factor 4 winner: Leon Jackson - Dropped
X Factor 5 winner: Alexandra Burke - Moderately successful, still rumoured to be in trouble though.
X Factor 6 winner: Joe McElderry - Flopped, likely to be dropped.

Sooner or later, if Cowell really wants this show to have any sort of credibility, then he really is have to stop the rote in regards to his treatment of winners.

I mean it's ridiculous. Furthermore I think this is the reason he is allegedly signing Rebecca, Cher and One Direction up. He is desperately hedging his bets in the hope that one of the acts from this year produce a successful (but rushed) album so he can hold them up as the shining example of what this show can produce when he "unveils" them on the US X Factor.

Comments

• CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowell and the show have never had credibility.

Mr Blobby
    Zig and Zag
    Robson and jerome.

All previous Cowell proteges.

The show is about TV entertainment, its judged on ratings , not on musical success.

My guess?

The show earned as much in advertising revenue last weekend as the entire catologue of winners has made for syco.(Although obviously, Cowell himself doesnt profit directly from the ad revenue, its how the show itself is valued- its broadcast income)
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither the winner nor the runners up are going to be in the US before XF US starts and Alexandra Burke isn't in any "trouble" whatsoever.

So long as they have some that show it can be done, then that's enough for the show.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    How is Alexandra "moderately successful" or anywhere near to being dropped?. 3 #1's in Ireland and the UK...top 10 in 6 countries across Europe with her first single. Passed the 700K mark with her debut album. Passed 1 million sales mark worldwide according to a press release from Sony. Sold over 4 million records (singles/albums) in the UK alone in 2 years.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    How is Alexandra "moderately successful" or anywhere near to being dropped?. 3 #1's in Ireland and the UK...top 10 in 6 countries across Europe with her first single. Passed the 700K mark with her debut album. Passed 1 million sales mark worldwide according to a press release from Sony. Sold over 4 million records (singles/albums) in the UK alone in 2 years.

Not quite achieved Leona Lewis status though has she? As for being in trouble, I don't she in any way deserves to be doing dropped as she's doing well, but Elton John seems to think she's in trouble for some reason. :confused::confused:
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »

I thought that was a bit of a bold statement too. Going back to the original point the OP was making, this program is not trying to be credible despite what Mr Cowel may have us believe. It is an entertainment program with all the manipulation and dishonesty that implies. This year had some very good artists - most of them had potential - but it in typical X Factor style it was squandered in the great name of entertainment.
    Forum Member
    Gotham wrote: »
    Not quite achieved Leona Lewis status though has she? As for being in trouble, I don't she in any way deserves to be doing dropped as she's doing well, but Elton John seems to think she's in trouble for some reason. :confused::confused:

She's Alexandra Burke, though. And has got nothing to do with Leona or her debut era...which Syco have failed to capitalise on, anyway. They are that incompetent.

Elton's comments were regarding Xfactor acts in general. He mentioned both Leona and Alex...saying that they were talented but relied entirely on who wrote them the next best song in order to "survive" in the business. As if he would be anywhere without Bernie Taupe :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I think the answer is...stop voting for men. Leona and Alexandra are doing fine. I don't know why but men in these competitions don't have success in the long run.

Look at Idol too, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson(who didn't even win), and Jordin Sparks did very well. All women. The men who did have moderate success after idol weren't even the winners! Clay Aiken, Daughtry, Adam Lambert didn't win but they're most memorable men.

Idk, I think female winners are easier to launch in the biz. Maybe i'm wrong.
  • George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SC has now lost the little credibility he had left by allowing the this years show to become a joke.

Yes, we continued to watch it until the final (most people), but will as many be turning on next year? I certainly won't be - unless the show is re-hashed and the format is clearly laid out in advance for all to see. That is, if you vote, you know it's not going to be effectively cancelled by a sing-off and very dubious voting by the judges.

Why don't the BBC just do something similar instead? At least they seem all above-board.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Cowell never had and never will have credibility in the music world but he's clearly an excellent businessman.
    Forum Member
    I've always seen it as just television. Not the search for a superstar. I just wish the contestants were in on it. Elton has a point but he comes off as bitter when he says things about how awful modern music is. Its annoying
    Forum Member
    I don't think credibility is associated with this show no matter how hard Simon tries, he doesn't even try or care to be honest. He cares about ratings first and foremost. I don't believe success translates into credibility for him or the show. The acts that come from it will always be seen as Xfactor constants no matter what they do.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the answer is...stop voting for men. Leona and Alexandra are doing fine. I don't know why but men in these competitions don't have success in the long run.

Look at Idol too, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson(who didn't even win), and Jordin Sparks did very well. All women. The men who did have moderate success after idol weren't even the winners! Clay Aiken, Daughtry, Adam Lambert didn't win but they're most memorable men.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the fiasco of PI2 when Simon's little project to get someone who did not look like a pop star to win. (Michelle McManus). Waterman was correct with his words at the end *It isn't about the music anymore* Michelle bombed within a year and Simon didn't want anything more to do with her.

The 2 runners up were also put together as a duo and signed and also flopped after their 2nd single. They didn't even have an album out.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very true, I was actually thinking about that earlier on. I was trying to think of all the AI winners who went onto greater things and all I could think or were Clarkson, Underwood and to a lesser extent Sparks. Could not think of one male winner who succeeded.

But personally I think that's laziness on the part of the team who are tasked with making the winners successful. If they don't see instant $$$ then they put in a half assed effort at making someone successful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    One of Simon's biggest compliments (said to Rebecca for example) - tellingly - is that your voice is "on the money". He's always been out for the dosh. X factor contestants must see it as a step to fame, never the be all and end all.

I feel sorry for Louis in a way. He's been set up as a joke to Simon's 'credible music mogul' persona but in actual fact, he's a far more credible manager (although I must admit I've never been a fan of boyzone or westlife, you've gotta admit they are more credible then Simon's 'make a quick buck' acts of Zig & Zag or Robson and Jerome...)
    Forum Member
    Gotham wrote: »
    Very true, I was actually thinking about that earlier on. I was trying to think of all the AI winners who went onto greater things and all I could think or were Clarkson, Underwood and to a lesser extent Sparks. Could not think of one male winner who succeeded.

But personally I think that's laziness on the part of the team who are tasked with making the winners successful. If they don't see instant $$$ then they put in a half assed effort at making someone successful.

Yeah, and thats where Eltons comments ring true I guess. The singers have to depend on the team that creates the music for them and the team seems to make more of an effort for a woman than a man.

I mean..you never know, Matt might do well but I still think people should stop voting for men. Its sort of pointless. The only successful men in the industry I can think of are the ones that write and create their own music. The formula shows it doesn't work. It shows the most successful contestants are pretty girls in their early twenties. They are more marketable and so the team gets excited and puts in more effort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZERO musical credibility. At least Waterman could write songs and didn't need a prime time TV show. Cowell - he cripples British society just to get his hands on more money. (If you didn't know, TV businesses are more successful during recessions)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member

Simple reason- boys/men win this show (bar steve) because girls vote for them based on looks- not on talent (whether they have talent or not doesnt matter, as it comes secondary for most of thier fans during the show). So after the show their looks dont get them anywhere with out good songs and standout talent, guys like this are two a penny in the business. And their girl fanbase move on to the next cute guy.

The girls who win are voted for by girls and guys, who appreciate unique talent. They have something will make them standout in the market.

Matt is better than previous guys that have won the show, but it remains to be seen whether he will get the right songs under cowel- and whether his fanbase will stand by him.