mountymounty Posts: 19,155
Forum Member
✭✭
those spy cams look like fun :p

Comments

• brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic stuff - don't think they faked this in the studio...
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems like a very good production. It captures the intimacy between the male and female Polar bears well and with good humor. I think insightful programs are a delight in the schedules and especially at the festive period. The camera work is also excellent and the BBC always produces very good nature documentaries .
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the curiosity of the bears and mum's paws sticking out of the water when she was gathering food.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying this documentary and like all other BBC documentary they are fantastic.
  • AfterTodayAfterToday Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very interesting, beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That cub is beautiful:)
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fab programme this was! I loved the bit at the end when they showed the bears destroying the poor old cameras!:)
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    What a fab programme this was! I loved the bit at the end when they showed the bears destroying the poor old cameras!:)

Fab but stressful. We were on the edge of our seats worrying that one of those cubs was going to drown or get eaten at any moment!

Their curiosity made me think of our cat who is always having a nose and sniff (and a quick prod with her paw) whenever she sees anything new.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My dad was watching it but then something cropped up and he had to make a phonecall so he asked me to record it for him. He hasn't got around to watching it yet. Even I was enjoying it and I don't normally watch those kinds of shows.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those polar bears were so cute!

Loved how the female was teasing the male, then making him chase after her. So many similarities between human dating and polar bear mating!

The cubs were adorable, loved how they rolled about on the snow.

Best programme I've seen for a while
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Here's the female flirting with the male. She made me lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_FtPGyMPlU&feature=related
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a beautiful film.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it immensely and it was a pleasure to see a documentary that just presented the imagery with no browbeating or lecturing about global warming.

Maybe slightly sanitised too, but at least we were spared the harrowing stuff from the Attenborough documentary about polar bears.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this yesterday- very good. Had not known just how intelligent a creatures polar bears were.
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In HD it was sick, amazing camerawork and the pictures are so clear.
    I enjoyed it, the only criticism is that i couldnt sit through a whole hour of it and only managed the first half
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its on BBC HD this evening 8 pm http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wylng
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a good piece of television overall.
  • Ruby94Ruby94 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Watched this on catch up this evening - loved it.
    The scene with the unsuspecting seal on the ice with the polar bear's head rising s-l-o-w-l-y out of the water behind it was just priceless!
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aye those polar bears are far more clever and intelligent than I had realised. Though perhaps not those who get themselves stuck inside an SUV in Alaska :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I watched this today as I missed it last week. It was so good! :D I love polar bears, and I actually sponsor one in Svalbard. Such fascinating creatures, and beautiful too. Incredibly intelligent and funny at the same time. I really enjoyed, I wanted it to be longer or with more episodes though. :(

I didnt know Attenborough did one about polar bears...does it show the more violent side to them? :o
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd missed this first time round and watched it this afternoon.

I loved it. The cubs were so cute and I hadn't realised that Polar Bears were so intelligent and curious.

That female bear in the courtship ritual was a right little minx.

I also didn't realise that if necessary that Polar Bears would eat grass to survive.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was grateful not to see any creature actually being killed, just being eaten - it's OK then, it's just "meat". The most heartrending thing is seeing the struggle they all have just to survivie :cry:
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Fab but stressful. We were on the edge of our seats worrying that one of those cubs was going to drown or get eaten at any moment!
    I was a bit suspicious about that; the way it resolved itself with both families was all a bit too feelgood. It made me wonder if they followed other bears but didn't include them because their stories didn't pan out in such a viewer-friendly way. But maybe that's just my cynicism about nature programs.

I can't really fault what was on-screen though, which was beautifully filmed (looked great in HD) and put together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Watching this yesterday I noticed that all during the programme the mother had two cubs, then at the end had only one, or at least we only saw one. Did I miss something? I remember when they found the whale carcass one of the cubs fell into the water when the male bear approached, then two minutes later, at the end of the show, we saw the mother and (single) cub swim their way to the ice-cap...
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this yesterday I noticed that all during the programme the mother had two cubs, then at the end had only one, or at least we only saw one. Did I miss something? I remember when they found the whale carcass one of the cubs fell into the water when the male bear approached, then two minutes later, at the end of the show, we saw the mother and (single) cub swim their way to the ice-cap...
    You're getting confused - there were two mothers featured; one with two cubs and the other with a single one. One of the families (if that's the right term; I guess "single-parent family" might be better) got stranded by the rising water early in the year and the other family made it across safely. And the doc kept cutting between them to show their differing experiences as a result.