Straight Edge Celebrities

James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
Forum Member
I'm not sure how much response this will get but after reading The Celebrities Who Smoke thread it got me thinking how many Straight Edge Celebrities are there that we know of.

To me the obvious one is Wrestler CM Punk who is sXe in Real Life was well as his gimmick.

Been sXe myself it is something I do wonder about.

For the ones who don't know Straight Edge or sXe means that

You don't drink alcohol
You don't smoke tobacco
You don't take drugs

Some are also vegetarian and don't have promiscuous sex I don't do either of those things myself but for different reasons than sXe (I'm very pro animals rights and Asexual)

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Frankie Boyle and Frank Skinner are both tee total but that's because they are recovering alcoholics.
    I don't believe that they smoke or take drugs either. Boyle has said that he would like to to see if it alters his comedy writing but said that he hasn't.

Skinner has said that he doesn't smoke or do drugs anymore. Not sure that falls into your definition.

I believe i've heard Peter Kay say that he doesn't drink.
    Not sure if he is one of those who has a glass of Baileys at crimbo though.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine there are LOTS that don't drink, smoke, or do drug, but don't identify themselves as "straight edge" as being straight edge is more than just the above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure Leona Lewis doesn't drink alcohol?
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how much response this will get but after reading The Celebrities Who Smoke thread it got me thinking how many Straight Edge Celebrities are there that we know of.

To me the obvious one is Wrestler CM Punk who is sXe in Real Life was well as his gimmick.

Been sXe myself it is something I do wonder about.

For the ones who don't know Straight Edge or sXe means that

You don't drink alcohol
    You don't smoke tobacco
    You don't take drugs

Some are also vegetarian and don't have promiscuous sex I don't do either of those things myself but for different reasons than sXe (I'm very pro animals rights and Asexual)

I'm sure there are countless celebs who don't drink/smoke/take drugs/possibly vegan/non-promiscuous but that wouldn't make them straight edge necessarily or mean that they buy into the sXe *cough* 'philosophy'.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    I'd imagine there are LOTS that don't drink, smoke, or do drug, but don't identify themselves as "straight edge" as being straight edge is more than just the above.

That's just the simplified version I'm actually what you would call hardline

I don't even have caffeine ect as it is a drug
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    That's just the simplified version I'm actually what you would call hardline

I don't even have caffeine ect as it is a drug

"as being straight edge is more than just the above."
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    "as being straight edge is more than just the above."

As I said I'm using the simplification of it most people don't know what it is and it would take hours of typing to explain the full meaning behind it all which at the moment I don't have time to do
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Brand is a former addict who has sorted himself out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said I'm using the simplification of it most people don't know what it is and it would take hours of typing to explain the full meaning behind it all which at the moment I don't have time to do

Really? I don't think so. A quick google tells you pretty much all you need to know about its origins and the idea behind it.
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Really? I don't think so. A quick google tells you pretty much all you need to know about its origins and the idea behind it.

True enough but most of us our own personal take and reasons mine may not be the same as others as I said the description I gave is the quick one but the other stuff can easily be looked up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True enough but most of us our own personal take and reasons mine may not be the same as others as I said the description I gave is the quick one but the other stuff can easily be looked up

ok. :)
  • QueenMaudeQueenMaude Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olly Murs also doesn't drink but i doubt he is straight edge!

Caroline Flack mentioned it when she was on Grimmy's R1 show.

I hate the "straight edge" movement [or whatever it is] it's so preachy. I don't drink [and i have never smoked], not for any moral reasons but because 1. i don't really like the taste of it and 2. I am usually the one driving, but i do not feel the need to preach about it or try to stop others drinking.

Ok needed to vent a little :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So if you are sXe would it mean you have deliberately chosen to be, or could you be sXe without even realizing simply because you avoid all the various things mentioned?
    Forum Member
    So if you are sXe would it mean you have deliberately chosen to be, or could you be sXe without even realizing simply because you avoid all the various things mentioned?

I always avoid it i didn't even know about sXe until about 7 years ago but I never did any of those things before that but once I started reading up on it I really got into the whole idea

Of course I don't preach if others wish to do stuff that is up to them why should it bother me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Is Straight Edge the one where people put crosses on their hand?
    Forum Member
    blue34 wrote: »
    Is Straight Edge the one where people put crosses on their hand?

Yeah it is
    Forum Member
    Sorry I wasn't intending to ask about you personally OP, I meant would someone who avoids all those things be classified as sXe, even if they don't know they are?
    Forum Member
    Sorry I wasn't intending to ask about you personally OP, I meant would someone who avoids all those things be classified as sXe, even if they don't know they are?

I would say so
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only person I have ever heard describe themselves as 'straight edge' was Sam Pepper from Big Brother. He was a vegetarian too, and seemed to see that as a part of it.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwyneth Paltrow is a big square! She even has a website about how hip it is to be square
    Forum Member
    In that case I have learnt something new about myself today, and next time someone tells me that I am weird, boring, unsociable, etc:rolleyes: :sleep: because I don't do any of the things they think I should do, I will be able to say actually I'm just sXe! Unfortunately they will then probably think I am even more weird. :D
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gene Simmons comes to mind.

I would describe myself as straight edge and am so not because I wish to be particularly virtuous about my health,but because to me alcohol tastes like piss, smoke stinks worse than an enema overspillage and snorting something off a toilet seat has never had much allure for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say so

Surely not? It's a philosophy, something you actively buy into, a conscious rejection of things regarded as 'bad' for you. If you're not aware of the 'movement', then no, you can't be classed as part of it.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Surely not? It's a philosophy, something you actively buy into, a conscious rejection of things regarded as 'bad' for you. If you're not aware of the 'movement', then no, you can't be classed as part of it.[/QUOTE]

Id never heard of the saying before this thread..so looked it up.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs and am a vegetarian. I was not aware of a "movement" so am def not classed as part of it.... just doing my own stuff. I feel that I don't need a label:D its just my personal choice and not something I wish to push onto others. I haven't come across celebs promoting it but probably now that I have heard about it I might notice it.

EDIT: I do eat chocolate and other stuff which is bad for me so just because I don't smoke, drink or eat meat or fish doesn't mean that I don't eat other unhealthy stuff...I'm not a bleeding saint;)
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Didn't Amy Lee from Evanescence claim to be (probably not using the phrase "straight edge")?