6 Music 100 Greatest Hits

ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
Forum Member
Tommorow, BBC Radio 6 Music are counting down the top 100 tracks of their 10 years history, from 100 to 1, starting at 9am

Isnt it a bit ambitious to play 100 tracks in a day? presumably the no 1 song will be during Steve's show.

Ash

Comments

• cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ambitious, they should achieve it easily! We used to do the odd 500 countdown across Mon - Fri and they ran 9am til 6pm usually and that was fitting in 10mins of ads each hour too! The Beeb don't have that problem. Should be a good listen. I'll dip in and out.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not ambitious, they should achieve it easily! We used to do the odd 500 countdown across Mon - Fri and they ran 9am til 6pm usually and that was fitting in 10mins of ads each hour too! The Beeb don't have that problem. Should be a good listen. I'll dip in and out.

They do have rambling interviews with some of the artists on the list though....or in Lauren Laverne's case more insert her tongue in their backside than interview. Bobby Gillespie won't have to wipe for a month now .Her head was up there for what seemed about half hour. Its not as if he has anything worth listening to anyway.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really disappointed with the number one though. Coldplay and Clocks is not the best song of the last ten years, surely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Really disappointed with the number one though. Coldplay and Clocks is not the best song of the last ten years, surely!

It isn't, and the majority of voters weren't 6Music listeners. Coldplay rigged it - there was a post on their Twitter account the other week encouraging their followers, all 9 million of them, to vote (and as they told them, no registration was required). This happened last year with the live music poll.

Shame on the BBC for being fooled twice.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LoudGeoffW wrote: »
    It isn't, and the majority of voters weren't 6Music listeners. Coldplay rigged it - there was a post on their Twitter account the other week encouraging their followers, all 9 million of them, to vote (and as they told them, no registration was required). This happened last year with the live music poll.

Shame on the BBC for being fooled twice.

ah that explains it. When i saw that had won I thought it was a result more 'worthy' of Absolute Radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    They do have rambling interviews with some of the artists on the list though....or in Lauren Laverne's case more insert her tongue in their backside than interview. Bobby Gillespie won't have to wipe for a month now .Her head was up there for what seemed about half hour. Its not as if he has anything worth listening to anyway.

The Gruff Rhys phoner during her show was the worst. He was clearly intoxicated. Should have been ended within about 2 questions it was that obvious, but she dragged it out for 5 minutes of really uncomfortable radio
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yordel wrote: »
    The Gruff Rhys phoner during her show was the worst. He was clearly intoxicated. Should have been ended within about 2 questions it was that obvious, but she dragged it out for 5 minutes of really uncomfortable radio

I'm sure it's been claimed that Gruff Rhys speaks that way because English isn't his first language. On the other hand given the way Laverne handled the interview with her usual lack of finesse, rambling over the top of his answers and autocompleting his sentences, you couldn't blame him for getting high beforehand.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gruff always sounds like that! Which is not to say it's not because he's always intoxicated!

I've gone right off Laverne. She tries too hard. I emailed her the other day to say "stop talking all over the damn songs" which is another bad trait - she does it even when there's no imperative like a News bulletin. She's not naturally that funny in the way Keavney and Radcliffe are. She also has a slight deeeejay style that doesn't suit the station. Lamacq is the same - the most uncomfortable man on radio I ever heard - but at least he doesn't try to be the comedian. Not much anyhow. And I respect his love for music.

Coldplay as No 1 is a farce, but there was some great stuff in there.
  • CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I've gone right off Laverne. She tries too hard. I emailed her the other day to say "stop talking all over the damn songs" which is another bad trait - she does it even when there's no imperative like a News bulletin. She's not naturally that funny in the way Keavney and Radcliffe are. She also has a slight deeeejay style that doesn't suit the station. Lamacq is the same - the most uncomfortable man on radio I ever heard - but at least he doesn't try to be the comedian. Not much anyhow. And I respect his love for music

Agree completely.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Gruff always sounds like that! Which is not to say it's not because he's always intoxicated!

I've gone right off Laverne. She tries too hard. I emailed her the other day to say "stop talking all over the damn songs" which is another bad trait - she does it even when there's no imperative like a News bulletin. She's not naturally that funny in the way Keavney and Radcliffe are. She also has a slight deeeejay style that doesn't suit the station. .

The way she's tried to drop her North East accent and affect Southern 'u' sounds makes me see red. Never trust someone ... especially in this day and age .... who has elocution lessons!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way she's tried to drop her North East accent and affect Southern 'u' sounds makes me see red. Never trust someone ... especially in this day and age .... who has elocution lessons!

According to Wikipedia she lives in Muswell Hill, so maybe she's just assimilated the Ray Davies-style Muswell Hillbillies accent.

She was OK on Xfm, quite witty really. Perhaps some presenters benefit from having to tailor their style to fit commercial radio's shorter links.