Anyone like/miss Rachel Stevens music?

2»

Comments

• rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet Dreams, Some Girls, Negotiate With Love, I Said Never Again and in particular, So Good, deserved massive success.

I think had she been more of a big personality, in peoples faces, she really could have made it, because the material available to her was great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I still kind of think that if she got given more decent songs she could make a proper comeback, we've always been lead to believe she's on good terms with her record company waiting for the right time for a resurrection of types.

Having said this S Club 7 are probably the last band of my childhood I'm left to see so yeah, go with that first (not embarrassingly like the current Jo, Paul, Bradley mess)
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaulBowker wrote: »
    Some Girls was also offered to Geri Halliwell first. True fact.

Yep but she sat on it for too long so RichardX gave it to Rachel and Geri released Ride It...
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    I added her two albums to my mp3 player today & have been listening all day. Her second album is much stronger than her first though I think the first album had overall stronger singles.

Its a pity she flopped with the second album so soon as it killed her solo career before it really got started. I remember thinking she had the potential to be the next Kylie back in 2005. Shame

So Good should have been a much bigger hit than it was.

I have both albums but on the whole preferred Rachel's 2nd to 1st album.
    Sweet Dreams, Some Girls, Negotiate With Love, I Said Never Again and in particular, So Good, deserved massive success.

I think had she been more of a big personality, in peoples faces, she really could have made it, because the material available to her was great.

Although So Good washed over me a bit, the other 4 singles were great. I may have said this elsewhere, but Rachel was the only woman to feature on 2 of my 30 fave songs of the 00s (although others did twice in my top 40).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn`t too keen on her first album, loved her 2nd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Preferred Jo O' Meara to be honest. At least she could sing.
  • Steve_BarlowSteve_Barlow Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I miss seeing Katie Price hitting the bronco buster on Rachel and leaving Rachel embarrassed
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    I have the second album and love it. Never heard the first.

I think 'So Good' is a brilliant pop song. The singles from that album were great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    She had a very limited shelf life as a performer, depending on producers and videos. Unless you're Madonna, you can't keep doing that indefinitely. Her own identity wasn't very strong, and there were/are another million FHM Babe of the Month wannabes who can pout with a microphone stand and take direction from the likes of Richard X.

She also tripped herself up with her diva-ish behaviour on TV shows and made a prize prat of herself on Dick and Dom In Da Bungalow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member

I think 'So Good' is a brilliant pop song. The singles from that album were great.

So Good is my favorite song too. I loved the electro-80's vibe to it that was originally intended for Kylie Minogue. So Good' was a cover of a song that Kylie recorded during her 'Fever' sessions, but left it off her album. But thank god she passed on to Rachel she did the song justice and she indeed make it her own. I think 'So Good' is a brilliant pop song. Rachel's second album Come and Get was one of the most underrated albums of the 00s, Brilliant Pop album! Love every single song.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

You should get the first album. It's called Funky Dory and it's not as good as Come and Get It but it's still worth getting. I have it. As I type I'm listening to an unreleased song called Nothing In Common: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mYljQrb1PU
  • NickKamenNickKamen Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Come and Get It is fantastic! Crazy Boys, Some Girls, Funny How, Nothing Good About This Goodbye, it was the soundtrack to 2010 for me when i discovered the album :)
  • GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people thought she was boring but she was a great performer, she could put most pop acts to shame if she returned to music.
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I really love Funky Dory (the album) and play it from time to time. The music still sounds really fresh. I remember she had a great video for Sweet Dreams (My LAX) and maybe her problem was she was ahead of her time?

I liked her very much on Strictly too.
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. I mildly liked "Sweet Dreams..", "Some Girls" and "I Said Never Again".

After "Some Girls" rescued her after her second single flopped It always baffled me they pissed away all the good will that song earned her by following it up with that lifeless cover of "More, More, More". Then again her version seems to feature in the background of a lot of commercials, unlikely but I hope she gets decent performer royalties.

On the whole I don't think she was really cut out to be a solo popstar. I was always slightly embarassed for liking Louise (Redknapp) despite acknowledging that while ridiculously pretty she's nice but dull (in popstar terms) and her music lacking a certain something. Rachel was very much the same except to a whole other level of blandness that I could never quite get into. Red Gloves or no gloves.
  • Steve_BarlowSteve_Barlow Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I miss her public humiliation
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farscape wrote: »
    Not really. I mildly liked "Sweet Dreams..", "Some Girls" and "I Said Never Again".

After "Some Girls" rescued her after her second single flopped It always baffled me they pissed away all the good will that song earned her by following it up with that lifeless cover of "More, More, More". Then again her version seems to feature in the background of a lot of commercials, unlikely but I hope she gets decent performer royalties.

On the whole I don't think she was really cut out to be a solo popstar. I was always slightly embarassed for liking Louise (Redknapp) despite acknowledging that while ridiculously pretty she's nice but dull (in popstar terms) and her music lacking a certain something. Rachel was very much the same except to a whole other level of blandness that I could never quite get into. Red Gloves or no gloves.

I think these and Negotiate with Love were my favourite of Rachel's solo singles.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'her' music?... she was a puppet, a product, all she brought to the table was her name...