We think our cat is pregnant.

embyemby Posts: 7,837
Forum Member
We acquired another cat [we already had 3] about 4 weeks ago from a colleague of my partner. Everything's been going fine, she's got on brilliantly with our other cats, however in the last 2 weeks we have noticed that she has put weight on at an excessive pace ... and we think she may be pregnant.

Our 3 other cats are boys, and they've all been neutered, and since we got the new cat she's been indoors all the time, so we fear she may have already been pregnant when we got her, not sure if the person we got her from was aware or not ...

Anyway, we've contacted the vets and are hoping to have an appointment sometime this week, but what I wanted to know is that if she is pregnant, is it a possibility to still have the cat spayed even when she is carrying kittens? I know it's not a nice thing to ask, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience on this.

Thanks

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Replied to your other thread :)
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Yes it is possible, I remember when I had one of mine done the vet told me she was pregnant at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is possible, and quite a good idea. It's called a gravid spay. Some vets don't do it, some do. I have (sadly) at least one or two cats gravid spayed every month. It's a shame, but necessary when there are so many cats already without homes. The cat should recover normally.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A gravid spay is essentially an abortion - the fetus(es) will be removed along with the uterus. I'd hope the vet makes that clear if one is to be done!
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Have you spoken with the cat and discussed its options?
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should wait until after the kittens are born and then get her spayed
    think it would be cruel to spay a pregnant cat
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you should wait until after the kittens are born and then get her spayed
    think it would be cruel to spay a pregnant cat

It's really no different to the cat and the kittens would never know a thing. And much kinder to all involved - cat & humans alike - than putting a litter of healthy kittens to sleep after the birth:(
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Let her have the kittens, sell them to good homes and then get her done.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I don't like the idea of selling kittens after reading a lot of horror stories about very unpleasant individuals purchasing them for different purposes ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need to bring more kittens into the world. Gravid spay is the best way to go. If anyone wants a kitten/cat, I'm sure there's a rescue centre near them they could rehome one from.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Let her have the kittens, sell them to good homes and then get her done.

(You shouldn't really ask for money if you're trying to find homes for unwanted kittens. )

Also, how far on do you reckon she is in her pregnancy ?
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    (You shouldn't really ask for money if you're trying to find homes for unwanted kittens. )

We've had her for about 4 weeks, so I would say she's four weeks gone at least.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    We've had her for about 4 weeks, so I would say she's four weeks gone at least.
    Are her nipples red and enlarged? My cat breeder friends often talk about that! Or could it be possible that she's eating more and putting on weight?:D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At four weeks a vet should be able to feel the kittens if they are there, and as allie says the nipples should be enlarged and pink - though if she is dark skinned they won't be!
    emby wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of selling kittens after reading a lot of horror stories about very unpleasant individuals purchasing them for different purposes ...

I'd take those stories with a pinch of salt tbh. If someone wants a cat to use for baiting etc they can easily tempt some of the more trusting cats with treats without having to layout any cash.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »

Yes, you should ask for money. It shows at least some form of commitment. No such thing as a free kitten. If people don't want to pay for them, their ability or willingness to pay for important things such as vaccination, neutering etc should also be questioned.
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    Yes, you should ask for money. It shows at least some form of commitment. No such thing as a free kitten. If people don't want to pay for them, their ability or willingness to pay for important things such as vaccination, neutering etc should also be questioned.

Absolutely spot on.