One big record WILL be broken at this World Cup

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
Forum Member
No European nation has ever won the World Cup outside of Europe

About time as well! :cool:

Comments

• Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Does this mean at the next World Cup, we won't have people saying "It will definitely be a South American team, coz no European team can win outside Europe"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this mean at the next World Cup, we won't have people saying "It will definitely be a South American team, coz no European team can win outside Europe"?

Yes, but instead they'll say "No European team has won the World Cup in the Americas".
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SummerRain wrote: »
    About time as well! :cool:

That's very true, but why has it taken Europe so long! Bit of a way to catch up with South America, though.

Brasil 1958 winners in Sweden (Europe)
    Brasil 1970 winners in Mexico (Central America)
    Argentina 1986 winners in Mexico (Central America)
    Brasil 1994 winners in USA (North America)
    Brasil 2002 winners in Korea/Japan (Asia)
  • nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a climate thing. SA in winter favours the European teams.

South America (even in their so called winter) will not.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I'll be surprised to see any Europe team in the final for the next WC...
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might just be a slight bugbear of mine, but why do people keep calling them Brasil rather than Brazil? I don't hear too many people talking of the fine job Bilic did with Hrvatska.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nevada wrote: »
    It's a climate thing. SA in winter favours the European teams.

South America (even in their so called winter) will not.

But the vast majority of the players in the S. American teams play their football in Europe anyway. Also Argentina, Chille, and Uruguay have similar winter climates to SA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until 1994 SA was a white country mostly consisting of Dutch and British descendants with some black support settlements. Given how slow the integration of East Germany is (ie you still see a difference today), I assume most of white south africa, where the players likely stay would be pretty European.

The whole setting should have mostly favoured the English and the Dutch. (Language) and the whole of Europe time zone wise. With Namibia close where the Germans went maybe the climate seems to be OK for Europeans.

I am sure if the WC would have been held somewhere in Central Afrcia things would have looked entirely differently. Heat and humidity as a start. This would have really favoured african teams.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    ...The whole setting should have mostly favoured the English and the Dutch. (Language) and the whole of Europe time zone wise...
    Someone forgot to tell the England team!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Someone forgot to tell the England team!

All been equal. Moody bastarditis in Millionaires. caused by unvoluntary WAG removal and disciplinarian actions removed said advantage imo. :D

With the odd international that's no problem, but this was a longer term removal.

I guess there is a reason why many old style armies had a trek of "female support staff" following the troops.. :p
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, we'll be saying "No country outside of Brazil will win the World Cup in Brazil." :D

A lot of people seem to have given Brazil the 2014 World Cup already and nobody has even kicked a ball yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoebica wrote: »
    No, we'll be saying "No country outside of Brazil will win the World Cup in Brazil." :D

A lot of people seem to have given Brazil the 2014 World Cup already and nobody has even kicked a ball yet!

Well I guess the Brazilian team will be dry roasted over a VERY small flame for a VERY long time if they won't win it at home .. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    Might just be a slight bugbear of mine, but why do people keep calling them Brasil rather than Brazil? I don't hear too many people talking of the fine job Bilic did with Hrvatska.

maybe because using Brasil only means changing one letter and that is the way they spell the country themselves.

Always wondered why other languages have to change the name of places anyway, surely London should be London in every language not Londres etc
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    But the vast majority of the players in the S. American teams play their football in Europe anyway. Also Argentina, Chille, and Uruguay have similar winter climates to SA.

Yep. South Africa faces the sun in the same way as most of South America. The rest of their climate depends on the land it's self. Both South America and South Africa have very high point and low points.

I think we can rule out climate as an advantage to Europe. I think when it came down to the final stages we simply outsmarted them.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until 1994 SA was a white country mostly consisting of Dutch and British descendants with some black support settlements. Given how slow the integration of East Germany is (ie you still see a difference today), I assume most of white south africa, where the players likely stay would be pretty European.

Do mean this? Are you saying that the majority of the population in aparthied SA was white, i.e it was white MAJORITY rule? Please explain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 74 wrote: »

I think we can rule out climate as an advantage to Europe. I think when it came down to the final stages we simply outsmarted them.

Is this a British person using we and Europe in the same post? :eek:

Be careful you'll be adopting the Euro next.. :D
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Is this a British person using we and Europe in the same post? :eek:

Be careful you'll be adopting the Euro next.. :D

I only use we to include ourselves in things Europe have been succesful at :p
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »

Me too. Plus on our WC prediction thing at work, every country was called by it's English name except Cote D'Ivoire. Why?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 74 wrote: »
    I only use we to include ourselves in things Europe have been succesful at :p

http://www.economy-news.co.uk/exchange-rates-05201007.html

Exchange rates: British Pound maintains weakness against Euro

Additionally
    http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/EUR/hist2007.html

at 0.666 still a way to go to get even the 2007 state back .. ;)

On the long run I have more faith in a bigger framework .. It's still early time for the Euro .. There might be some bumps on the way to get the pigs on line but we will get there. :)
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. Plus on our WC prediction thing at work, every country was called by it's English name except Cote D'Ivoire. Why?!

Cote D'Ivoire is now it's official name....I believe they changed it from the Ivory Coast as it used to be known.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Cote D'Ivoire is now it's official name....I believe they changed it from the Ivory Coast as it used to be known.

Not in English it's not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in English it's not.

Pretty sure the official name in English is now Cote d'Ivoire. It's listed as Cote d'Ivoire in the United Nations, for instance (whilst all the other countries have their English names).
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Not in English it's not.

According to Wikipedia, the government made an official request in 1985 that other nations refer to them as Cote d'Ivoire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Wikipedia, the government made an official request in 1985 that other nations refer to them as Cote d'Ivoire.

Interesting. Still ridiculous though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole setting should have mostly favoured the English and the Dutch. (Language) and the whole of Europe time zone wise. With Namibia close where the Germans went maybe the climate seems to be OK for Europeans.

I am sure if the WC would have been held somewhere in Central Afrcia things would have looked entirely differently. Heat and humidity as a start. This would have really favoured african teams.

Maybe you should try reading a history book, or at the very least use some common sense so you don't come out with such rubbish.