Help me choose a new TV

Help.

Can anyone give me some advice on a good TV that can do the following. I am a TV novice

1. 37-42inch
2. LED (assume this is the best format?)
3. 3d compatible (optional)
4. USB port or ability to play external media such as DivX
5. Possibly part of a package to include DVD player and Glasses

I'm looking at £500-£800 (but this is not restricted, just a guess on what I could expect to pay)

Can anyone help me (or open my eyes to the realities....)

Thank you so much...

Comments

• hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're not fussed about 3D I would suggest that in the price range you are talking about there are probably only 2 to consider

1) The Panasonic TX-P42G20 plasma - Amazon have it for £650, (John Lewis have it at £680 with a 5 year warranty but list it as out of stock but you buy a 5 year warranty from Pansonic for around £90.)
    2) The Sony 40EX503 - John Lewis have it at £700 (with a 5 year warranty)

That should leave you plenty to get the Sony BDP-S370 blu-ray - which can be had for £100 (Play,Tesco, Comet) - to make the most of your new HD panel.

The G20 has a (slightly) better picture quality and FreesatHD; the E503 is a better with regard to online services such as the BBC iPlayer. I'd go for the G20 (but I have both anyway :) )
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are lots and lots of "spec me" threads here. In fact there's hardly a day goes by without the same question being asked, so there's lots and lots of good and very recent advice already in this forum. Have a look through and see what has already been discussed.

The only things I would add which are specific to your request...

1) 37"-42" - 42" is your best proposition. It's the most competitive market segment: biggest choice & best value.

2) LED - really bit of a fashion statement rather than being the 'best' technology. You pay extra for the thinness, sometimes at the expense of evenness of illumination.

3 & 4) media player & 3D ability - these kind of go hand in hand. You'll probably find that 3D capable sets are closer in spec to the top-of-the range models so include media player features as standard.

5) packaged with 3D Blu-ray & glasses - 3D TVs are going to come with a couple of pairs of glasses anyway, otherwise the 3D feature would be unusable and pointless . Extra glasses aren't cheap - approx £100 per pair - so if you have a family of four then 3D can get very expensive. As for packages with a 3D Blu-ray player, just use Google to see what's available and draw up a short list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has everything you're looking for OP, but it's over your stated budget;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003J36FQI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12QNWDXQ4N6SRQW74R9R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

If you're willing to drop the need for 3D or you're open to the possibility of LCD or plasma you'll find lots more choice in the £500-£800 range.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    If you're not fussed about 3D I would suggest that in the price range you are talking about there are probably only 2 to consider

1) The Panasonic TX-P42G20 plasma - Amazon have it for £650, (John Lewis have it at £680 with a 5 year warranty but list it as out of stock but you buy a 5 year warranty from Pansonic for around £90.)
    2) The Sony 40EX503 - John Lewis have it at £700 (with a 5 year warranty)

That should leave you plenty to get the Sony BDP-S370 blu-ray - which can be had for £100 (Play,Tesco, Comet) - to make the most of your new HD panel.

The G20 has a (slightly) better picture quality and FreesatHD; the E503 is a better with regard to online services such as the BBC iPlayer. I'd go for the G20 (but I have both anyway :) )

The five year warranty from Panasonic, this will be a referral to an insurance Company, add £200 to the £90, or take a chance on the Amazon cheap warranty they are selling,with restrictions. I checked the Amazon deal out & was not impressed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hero2zero wrote: »
    This has everything you're looking for OP, but it's over your stated budget;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003J36FQI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12QNWDXQ4N6SRQW74R9R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

If you're willing to drop the need for 3D or you're open to the possibility of LCD or plasma you'll find lots more choice in the £500-£800 range.

Nice set, but Philips? Id stick to Pany or Sony far more reliable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    The five year warranty from Panasonic, this will be a referral to an insurance Company, add £200 to the £90, or take a chance on the Amazon cheap warranty they are selling,with restrictions. I checked the Amazon deal out & was not impressed.

Actually no - I suspect you're thinking of the D&G route.

If you ring the Panasonic warranty number - 01344 706723 - you can buy the extra 4 years for around £90.
  • in_focusin_focus Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Nice set, but Philips? Id stick to Pany or Sony far more reliable.

Seems to be a few issues with Philips 3D TV's ,see http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?tmplt=ePlatform%20-%20Philips&scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=LCD_TV_SU&cat=TV_CA&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=40PFL8605H/12&mid=Link_FAQs&session=20101229151808_92.17.22.192&hlt=Link_FAQs many problems. Look at the last three questions in the 3D section :eek:
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Viewing distance?

As for 37-42 being best, no i'd say it is becoming low end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    get the Panny G 20

it has Divx , USB recording, ethernet, freesat for BBC i player, USB sticks for Divx films, media player through wireless network or wired
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    More importantly it has sweet blacks and picture quality...

The media options I find are just a bonus, the standards and implimentation are too in the flux at the moment to use them as a decision maker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    Actually no - I suspect you're thinking of the D&G route.

If you ring the Panasonic warranty number - 01344 706723 - you can buy the extra 4 years for around £90.

Yes I was thinking that way,however I was not aware of this in house Panasonic warranty,it must be a closely guarded secret.
    I have bought 2 pany tvs in the past two months and not a dicky bird anywhere about it, except free 5 yr from dealers only until tomorrow,if bought from them.

Can you guide me to the info on this please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was thinking that way,however I was not aware of this in house Panasonic warranty,it must be a closely guarded secret.
    I have bought 2 pany tvs in the past two months and not a dicky bird anywhere about it, except free 5 yr from dealers only until tomorrow,if bought from them.

Can you guide me to the info on this please.

It seems to be a fairly open secret now ;) and I can't take any credit for it - it was something reported by users of AV Forums. Just do a google for the number I quoted and you'll find the info you need - a post at overclocker's forum seems to be a good one. It literally seems to a be case of ringing them and asking to speak to someone to buy an extended warranty. (However since the warranty is a Panny one it might be worth checking where your local service centre is - mine's just 3 miles away.)

Hope that helps.
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    I bought the G20 after months of agonising and reading various reviews.

£715 from Richer Sounds with a five year warranty.
  • supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    I bought the G20 after months of agonising and reading various reviews.

£715 from Richer Sounds with a five year warranty.

Are you ahppy with it?
    It seems a rare thing these days for people to be buying Plasmas?
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too have just bought a Panasonic 46" G20 and it's a superb bit of kit.

Spent a lot of time researching what to buy and this model came out on top in every one of my 'needs' categories.
    Forum Member
    Are you ahppy with it?

Very.:D

Picture quality is superb when watching HD, comes into a world of its own compared to my previous 32" LCD Samsung.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Are you ahppy with it?

????????????????

loads of plasmas being sold

my 50 " G20 rocks

there is very little difference now between LCD / PLASMA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    Very.:D

Picture quality is superb when watching HD, comes into a world of its own compared to my previous 32" LCD Samsung.

I to am looking at getting either a http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42g20/pana-txp42g20a

or a http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42s20/pana-txp42s20 (dependent on finances)

How is the picture for sd viewing? as i will be viewing through sky+ box not hd and watching blu-ray, no gaming
    though.
    Forum Member
    jed-i wrote: »
    I to am looking at getting either a http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42g20/pana-txp42g20a

or a http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42s20/pana-txp42s20 (dependent on finances)

How is the picture for sd viewing? as i will be viewing through sky+ box not hd and watching blu-ray, no gaming
    though.

I'm still tweaking the settings, only got the TV myself a couple of days ago. I'm viewing through my V+ box and SD channels look superb, plenty of settings to adjust to your own personal preference.

The best thing for me is the lack of any hint of motion blur, which was a big issue with my Samsung.