Options

Does Anyone Here Use The *Alert* Button?

Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Personally I can't be arsed :sleep: I suppose in times it would have made more sense for me to instead of arguing with some stubborn tosser but I'm generally argumentative anyway (not in an aggressive way tho).

I feel the need to reply to people and whilst I realise that
a) it would be simpler to alert the mods
b) it would save winding yourself up

I'm just not very rational like that :( if I get fed up of arguing I just leave the thread and leave it the way it is.

I also never put anybody on ignore despite how annoying they are :confused: simple actions that I can't be arsed doing.

Anyone here ever alerted the mods? :)

Comments

• Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never. I presume if it's that bad, someone else will pretty quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S'up Dylan? You left me hanging under the misteltoe :(
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALERTED! :eek:
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did for the first time a couple of days ago in one of the Joanna Yeates threads after someone made a sick joke, that is the only time I have ever felt the need to alert a mod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »

You're not very good at getting the girls are you? That's no way to treat a lady :cry:

(forot to quote poster above but that's a good reason :))
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only been posting a few months, but cannot envisage ever pressing the button. I hope I never feel so inadequate as to do so.
    Although I suppose I could conceive of the idea of alerting a poster as revenge, if I believed they had done the same to me in the past. That may be hard to resist. :)
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have, but not for a while now. As I recall it was someone being overtly rude and abusive to a number of other posters. They were twisting peoples words, telling them to drop dead and all sorts. Once the offensive post count reached a certain level and they had insulted about three different people I just thought 'enough'. After I'd done it, I sort of regretted it, in that if the stuff had been left, then everyone would have been able to witness just how unpleasant this person was. With the offending posts removed, anyone coming to the thread would not know what a horror this person had been.

I have put a couple of people (obvious WUMs) on ignore in the past, simply because their posts were so annoying that I thought it better not to have to read them in the first place. Also, I didn't want to be tempted into an online spat as they can really get under my skin and are ultimately completely pointless. If I see something that I think is point blank wrong I find it hard not to get embroiled even though reacting to WUMs is just what they want.:o
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have done it once when I read a post comparing Bruce Forsyth to visiting a dying relative ...... inhumane and beyond the pale.

I was alerted and banned once when I got into a particularly nasty spat with someone who was ridiculing the parent of a disabled child. I said a naughty word, but he was spouting bile and got away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a WUM :o I know a PBU is previously banned user but is WUM related?
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did for the first time a couple of days ago in one of the Joanna Yeates threads after someone made a sick joke, that is the only time I have ever felt the need to alert a mod.

Is he a fan of them too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shady123 wrote: »
    What's a WUM :o I know a PBU is previously banned user but is WUM related?

WUM = wind up merchant. They set out to deliberatly provoke and annoy by posting outrageous stuff. Most of them don't bother me, but as I say there have been a couple where even though I knew what they were doing, reading their nonsense was just too much to bear!

One of them used to post in the food forum and berate anyone that did not produce all their food from first principles - grow the wheat to grind into flour to make your own bread etc etc. Don't know if anyone else remembers....
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only for spam. I gave up telling tales when I was 6.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only once.

The FM is still inactive. It was a long time ago. She was an arsehole.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do alert the mods to spamming type posts where anyone is trying to blatantly advertise a business or product particularly an illegal one.

I would not alert the mods to a post where anyone made a personal remark about me, I can take it as I am not that easily offended by what people say.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    It can be abused by childish cry to mummy posters. The worst kind of people informing on folks in the office or anywhere else behind their backs.

I only alert on spam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I do alert the mods to spamming type posts where anyone is trying to blatantly advertise a business or product particularly an illegal one.

I would not alert the mods to a post where anyone made a personal remark about me, I can take it as I am not that easily offended by what people say.

Yeah - I've never alerted for a personal remark directed solely at me. Not that I've had many of those to bother about. The usual sarcastic stuff that gets up your nose a bit, but I just go and do other things for a while if it looks like getting out of hand.
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done it a couple of times and I make a point of telling the alertee that I have done it and why. Stuff em.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    Is he a fan of them too?

Is who a fan of what?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

I have done a few times over the years, can't remember exactly how many, but certainly less than a dozen, when the poster concerned contributed absolutely nothing to the thread concerned, even if it was off topic.

Other than that, just for threads posted in the wrong forum or for spam threads or posts.

I don't tend to alert abusive posts made towards other DS members, as I think it should be down to the posters concerned whether said comments should be alerted. In other words, it not up to me to be offended on another poster's behalf, when they can decide for themselves.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

I like to think this forum would never lower itself to the likes of twitter & youtube comments.

So people who clearly 'bait', 'generalise', 'advertise', 'attack other fm's verbally' etc I do alert.

It's supposed to be (IMO) a reasonably mature discussion forum.

Over 6 and a 1/2 years, maybe 30?:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone's used it on me twice. Not the same person each time. I'be been banned both times, although I really don't think either time was justified.

I've never used it myself. I would prefer to argue with the OP in question or just ignore them. The OP's who've alerted against me and got me banned are mentally challenged. I can't hold that against them.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone's used it on me twice. Not the same person each time. I'be been banned both times, although I really don't think either time was justified.

I've never used it myself. I would prefer to argue with the OP in question or just ignore them. The OP's who've alerted against me and got me banned are mentally challenged. I can't hold that against them.:D

Do they tell you who has alerted you?

I have (as yet) never been banned so don't know how you are told.

I would never assume that the poster you are debating with is the one that alerted you though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they tell you who has alerted you?

I have (as yet) never been banned so don't know how you are told.

I would never assume that the poster you are debating with is the one that alerted you though.

No, they don't tell you. At least they've never told me, but I've been able to guess by what has been said during my debates/arguments. It's always been when I've made a comment that someone doesn't like/can't reply to.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    You are not told who has alerted you.