Will Smith slaps reporter.

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. That isn't the issue. The issue is what is deemed a reasonable response. It seems that, shamefully, for many people a reasonable response is physical assault.

No, I don't think a slap was unreasonable at all. The guy invaded his personal space and tried to sexually assault him in a public place...I thought Will was particularly gracious tbh, and the guy deserved the slap. You don't just go around trying to kiss whoever you feel like, and he needed to be shown that it was wrong...Will could easily have punched him, but he slapped him and not particularly hard either...

Sexual assault is unacceptable (far more than a mild slap) in any circumstance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a lot less dramatic than I was expecting! Anyway the reporter wanted a reaction and he got one. The publicity, and increased public profile will more than make up for any temporary physical discomfort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    But if he had tried to kiss a female movie star and she slapped him would you be condemning her?

Actually, I would. Because a slap is a bit of an over-reaction to someone leaning in for a kiss.

But as I said, in this case it seems to have been blown out of proportion. Smith wasn't forcibly snogged, the reporter wasn't hurt.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    No, I don't think a slap was unreasonable at all. The guy invaded his personal space and tried to sexually assault him in a public place...I thought Will was particularly gracious tbh, and the guy deserved the slap. You don't just go around trying to kiss whoever you feel like, and he needed to be shown that it was wrong...Will could easily have punched him, but he slapped him and not particularly hard either...

Sexual assault is unacceptable (far more than a mild slap) in any circumstance.

Exactly the reporter went too far and invaded his private space, he probably did deserve a slap. Yes Violence is wrong in most cases but it was hardly a hard smack that would have any lasting damage on the reporter, it was a gentle tap and it is not like Will Smith was dishing out an unprovoked attack nor is it likely that Smith is an out and out thug who constantly attacks people for no reason.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reporter was in the wrong, but I don't think Will should have hit him either. If the reporter kept clinging onto him and the only way to get him off is hit him fair enough, but he had already pushed him away. If it had been a girl who tried this I doubt Will would have slapped her afterwards.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    It will be Ukraine's answer to Dennis Pennis.

I wonder what the result would have been without the cameras around?

That reporter is a good-looking young man.

Guess we'll never know.
    Agree with your post apart from the BIB - no he isn't.

You can tell by the 'reporter's' sheepish retreat that the stunt backfired - even trying to style it out misfires: he's lucky his teeth are still intact after he grabbed Smith by the neck. And no, grabbing someone round the neck to forcibly kiss them isn't standard European etiquette either.:rolleyes: Will Smith 2;Dennis Pennis mkII 0.00
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    I like Will Smith but he had no right to slap the guy. The situation was done with, the reporter had stopped and Smith was walking away. Makes Smith look like a big homophobe if you ask me. "He tried to kiss me on the mouth". Oh, boo hoo.
    And the guy had no right to kiss him on the mouth. If it was a male trying to kiss a female, or a female trying to kiss a male, or a female trying to kiss a female - it doesn't matter. He had no right to do so.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. That isn't the issue. The issue is what is deemed a reasonable response. It seems that, shamefully, for many people a reasonable response is physical assault.

I'm not sure why Will felt the need to lightly slap him either. A simple push would have been enough the first time round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I like Will Smith but he had no right to slap the guy. The situation was done with, the reporter had stopped and Smith was walking away. Makes Smith look like a big homophobe if you ask me. "He tried to kiss me on the mouth". Oh, boo hoo.

Right so if it had been Nicole scherzinger your reaction would have been "Oh boo hoo"? And I don't see how this makes Will look homophobic at all? Maybe a little over the top but not homophobic.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So because he didn't want a stranger to kiss him on the mouth that means he must be homophobic? I'm bisexual and if a stranger tried to kiss me on the mouth, male or female, I'd react in the exact same way.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard it all now.. Because Will Smith didn't like the man trying to forcibly kiss him on the mouth .. This make Will Homophobic.. Rediculous comment of the week
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was unnecessary but provoked. He is lucky it was a gentle slap.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I've heard some gibberish on these boards but this takes the prize...
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. if I'd been in Will Smiths shoes, the reporter would be lucky that it was just a slap he got.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, a prankster reporter goes in for a kiss and Will Smith first pushes him away, slaps him... then later tries to joke it off and says "it's alright"...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4326825/Will-Smith-slaps-reporter-at-Russian-premiere-of-Men-In-Black-III.html

Is it alright though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a very masculine slap, that.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's lucky it was just a slap he got.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nowt wrong with slapping a 'prankster'
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I actually loved that he did that, called him on it instead of just accepting it. I did feel for the reporter who looked like he wanted to ground to open up and swallow him though.
  • MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    So people can just go round sticking the lips on other people randomly now, can they?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    As I said on a similar thread on another forum, Smith's reaction reeks of homophobia. Even worse have been the comments I've read along the lines of "If it had been me I would've kicked his head in".
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I love the way some people are so quick to shout "homophobia". I take it you would be happy with random strangers kissing you or groping you :rolleyes:. It belittles what a lot of gay people go through when stupid things like this are given such a label.

Will probably shouldn't have slapped him, but I can't say I blame him. It was an incredibly light "slap" anyway and the man kind of deserved it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said on a similar thread on another forum, Smith's reaction reeks of homophobia. Even worse have been the comments I've read along the lines of "If it had been me I would've kicked his head in".
    I'm not sure how not relishing the thought of an unsolicited kiss on the lips from a stranger can be passed off as homophobia.
  • Press_EscPress_Esc Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given it was non-consentual I would have done the exact same thing if some class-clown tried to do the same to me personally.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure how not relishing the thought of an unsolicited kiss on the lips from a stranger can be passed off as homophobia.

Oh well. I'm not sure how physically assaulting someone can be passed off as a legitimate response.