Options

The Sanatorium (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    :eek: Lots of big weather warnings tonight and tomorrow.
    Back to same old same old :(

We gotta get ready for doom and gloom weather
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Settling down now to watch the next episode of Downton Abbey.
    Very enjoyable - last week's episode. Caught up with it eventually last night.
    I think Heidi will approve of the new series. :)

Enjoy:D

And where is Heidi?
  • Options
    irishlaurelsirishlaurels Posts: 23,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was tough for the groups
  • Options
    irishlaurelsirishlaurels Posts: 23,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I'm off to watch Downton Abbey. See you all tomorrow:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was tough for the groups

Yup...I hope Louis doesn't mess up the groups,they're really good this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right I'm off to watch Downton Abbey. See you all tomorrow:)

Enjoy.xxx
  • Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    bblover wrote: »
    I liked it,and it's not often i get emotional watching something,but did,gripping tv,and you get so involved as well.

yes i liked it as well...

The audience is a programme i shouldnt like.....cos its very intrusive....but i do !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to say I finished The Song of Achilles yesterday - absolutely loved it.
    A very sparse style but, even though it was about the Greeks, it reminded me very much of Latin passages I had to read when I studied it. Some of her phrases could be summed up in one or two words, very similar to Latin phrasing in the Aeneid. I always meant to learn Ancient Greek but never got past learning the alphabet and the few phrases I needed when I went on holiday there.

I think I told you that it's made me want to go back and read some Mary Renault novels which I vaguely remember from my childhood, although I wasn't aware then so much of the homosexuality theme - lol. Innocence personified till I got to uni. ;):D

Speaking of which:
    Onto Jeanette Winterson's autobiographical book 'Why be happy when you can be normal?' which seems to be basically a deconstruction of her first novel (her best in my view) 'Oranges are not the only fruit' which made me laugh so much with its very black humour. That was sad and bad enough but the reality for her seems to have been even worse. :eek:
    She's also combined it with a discussion about why writers write and why they write about what they write about and why they write the way they do.
    It's for my other book group.
    Might get round to the JJAT book after that.

that sounds really interesting...

I wonder if The Song of Achilles is basically an updated version of the original story then.......Im sure i read a review that said this? It might explain why it feels a bit odd to read?

im not quite in the same mindset.........as i said before the book was spoilt for me, by the way the supernatural, gods and goddesses were treated...as if they were real.... if it had had more of a fairy tale kind of fantasy quality, I htink i would have liked it more......

its a fascinating story and a fascinating book, but it get tangled into total misunderstanding about why.:confused:... why did ..the greeks needed to besiege Troy for 10 years? I dont understand the strategy???

werent some of them at least needed at home to sort out their kingdoms?

I used to love Mary Renaults books, i just wish i could remember the titles....!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching Fake or Fortune?
    What a fascinating programme!
    I loved it last week when they were trying to work out if a Manet was fake or not.
    And this week it's works by Turner - who has turned out to be a bit of a one ;):D
    I suppose I've never really known much about his life, just enjoyed his paintings, but trying to establish the provenance of a painting is such detailed detective work.
    And this week's is so interesting about a couple of sisters in Wales who collected art and bequeathed it to their nation - all their paintings are in the Cardiff Museum.

im loving this series...

I lloved the last one as well.

the paintings are wonderful, but so too is the detective work...and learning about the artists personal life..:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    that sounds really interesting...

I wonder if The Song of Achilles is basically an updated version of the original story then.......Im sure i read a review that said this? It might explain why it feels a bit odd to read?

im not quite in the same mindset.........as i said before the book was spoilt for me, by the way the supernatural, gods and goddesses were treated...as if they were real.... if it had had more of a fairy tale kind of fantasy quality, I htink i would have liked it more......

its a fascinating story and a fascinating book, but it get tangled into total misunderstanding about why.:confused:... why did ..the greeks needed to besiege Troy for 10 years? I dont understand the strategy???

werent some of them at least needed at home to sort out their kingdoms?

I used to love Mary Renaults books, i just wish i could remember the titles....!!!

I guess stories that were written around that time particularly were a mix of fantasy and reality. Well, that's how we would see it from the 21st century!

After all, the biggest 'myth' as an expression of reality is The Bible - a collection of stories based in reality but with an ultimate purpose of creating an everlasting myth. The gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece and Rome fulfilled the same purpose - a way of explaining the ways of nature and the world to us mere mortals.

Fighting wars away from your kingdom hasn't been unusual in history. It caused all sorts of problems here during the Crusades with 'bad' brothers taking over the throne while you're absent. So presumably the Greeks left their kingdoms in control of significant people. As they were all besieging Troy, they couldn't be attacking each other and taking land.

What I found interesting was that my last outing prior to this book was the film Troy. I don't remember it brilliantly but I'm sure there was a huge subversion of the original story regarding Achilles. But I couldn't be sure. And of course in this book the myth of Achilles' Heel is debunked.

As for the goddesses coming among mortals that was quite common in Greek and Roman myths - a way of explaining what seemed to be unexplainable circumstances.

And in the end it's all just great stories/fantasy based in reality - as is most writing, including columns in cheapie mags :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big weather warning proved to be accurate :(
    Loads of floods all over the South West.
    I have never been so grateful for having not to go to work on a Monday morning. :)
    Hope everyone is ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in spite of all the nominations Downton Abbey didn't do so well in getting many gongs - only the usual suspect - Dame Maggie Smith.

HOWEVER, Damien Lewis in Homeland got Best Actor :)
    And Clare Danes (who is American, I know) got Best Actress :)

Can't wait for it to start again. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I hate to say it, but Lady Mary is beginning to irritate me a hell of a lot - especially her voice! I thought she'd changed but essentially, no, she hasn't.

And all the social stuff is being signalled so heavily that it's beginning to be boring. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL about the 'pleb' row and Andrew Mitchell.

Ironic, isn't it, that people are now choosing to believe the police and the Sun after recent events this year. :p:rolleyes:

Not that I'm convinced he didn't use that word because it's not the kind of word most policemen would come up off their own accord.
    It's ridden with patronising class attitudes.

edit: LOL at my own statement which sounds a tad patronising itself. :o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess stories that were written around that time particularly were a mix of fantasy and reality. Well, that's how we would see it from the 21st century!

After all, the biggest 'myth' as an expression of reality is The Bible - a collection of stories based in reality but with an ultimate purpose of creating an everlasting myth. The gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece and Rome fulfilled the same purpose - a way of explaining the ways of nature and the world to us mere mortals.

Fighting wars away from your kingdom hasn't been unusual in history. It caused all sorts of problems here during the Crusades with 'bad' brothers taking over the throne while you're absent. So presumably the Greeks left their kingdoms in control of significant people. As they were all besieging Troy, they couldn't be attacking each other and taking land.

What I found interesting was that my last outing prior to this book was the film Troy. I don't remember it brilliantly but I'm sure there was a huge subversion of the original story regarding Achilles. But I couldn't be sure. And of course in this book the myth of Achilles' Heel is debunked.

As for the goddesses coming among mortals that was quite common in Greek and Roman myths - a way of explaining what seemed to be unexplainable circumstances.

And in the end it's all just great stories/fantasy based in reality - as is most writing, including columns in cheapie mags :p

I spose so....

its odd cos its not a period of history i know that much about...and the bits i do know dont fit together very well....

is achilles actually a real historical figure....with a recognised kingdom etc....or is he entirely mythical, someone like King Arthur?

I also think a lot of biblical stories that i have read have been updated for a more sceptical time......or maybe its just me,,,,,I rarely take them as historical fact, more as an allegory about something...like the story of the Good Samaritan....

but then again that fundamental interpretation of the bilble has caused quite a few problems, with things like the creation story...!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    im sure i saw an archeological programme where they were searching for the mythical city of troy, somewhere near constantinople......

but was there a trojan horse...and are any of the figures from the story real? Or are they all imaginary?

It was an odd period of history wasnt it.......when the greeks and persians were all fighting each other for territory and control....and i spose this unrest and uncertainty in the middle east led directly into the crusades and some of the current issues in the middle east.

maybe we are lucky we are an island...and a bit out of the way from central europe !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spose so....

its odd cos its not a period of history i know that much about...and the bits i do know dont fit together very well....

is achilles actually a real historical figure....with a recognised kingdom etc....or is he entirely mythical, someone like King Arthur?

I also think a lot of biblical stories that i have read have been updated for a more sceptical time......or maybe its just me,,,,,I rarely take them as historical fact, more as an allegory about something...like the story of the Good Samaritan....

but then again that fundamental interpretation of the bilble has caused quite a few problems, with things like the creation story...!!!

As far as I know Achilles is just a character in Virgil's Aeneid and Homer's Iliad. And Troy for the most part is just part of the story as well - although attempts have been made to locate it somewhere in Turkey. There have been stories of excavation but no-one can categorically say that Troy existed except maybe as just the name of somewhere that was used in a story - as often happens in literature.

Well, I'm with you on biblical and mythical stories being merely allegorical stories. But as we know there are plenty of disagreements about what is true and what is not and what is allegorical. I'm sure Jesus did exist as an historical figure but as with all so-called figureheads/prophets a lot of myths have built up around him in order to make him even more special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im sure i saw an archeological programme where they were searching for the mythical city of troy, somewhere near constantinople......

but was there a trojan horse...and are any of the figures from the story real? Or are they all imaginary?

It was an odd period of history wasnt it.......when the greeks and persians were all fighting each other for territory and control....and i spose this unrest and uncertainty in the middle east led directly into the crusades and some of the current issues in the middle east.

maybe we are lucky we are an island...and a bit out of the way from central europe !!

There wasn't a Trojan horse either, as far as I can see. But it's become a useful metaphor, hasn't it?

We may be an island but we haven't half caused a lot of trouble in the world :rolleyes:
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wasn't a Trojan horse either, as far as I can see. But it's become a useful metaphor, hasn't it?

We may be an island but we haven't half caused a lot of trouble in the world :rolleyes:

It has always amazed me how much power this small island has had over it's history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never having had to arrange car insurance before - Motability always did it - boy have we had fun today - not, cause of course paying monthly makes it a credit agreement, I can't have those with my credit history, so getting an online quote and then calling them about it is a real hoohah for my mother, who is going to pay.

Grrrrrrrrrr lol
  • Options
    CrazyChickCrazyChick Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Never having had to arrange car insurance before - Motability always did it - boy have we had fun today - not, cause of course paying monthly makes it a credit agreement, I can't have those with my credit history, so getting an online quote and then calling them about it is a real hoohah for my mother, who is going to pay.

Grrrrrrrrrr lol

Ali, I was in a similar position when I was looking for my car insurance, but I did find one which accepts payments from my prepaid credit card monthly (I know you also have a prepaid card). I find it much easier to just pay the £30 odd pounds a month.
    It's :
    http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk if you want to give them a try. x:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrazyChick wrote: »
    Ali, I was in a similar position when I was looking for my car insurance, but I did find one which accepts payments from my prepaid credit card monthly (I know you also have a prepaid card). I find it much easier to just pay the £30 odd pounds a month.
    It's :
    http://www.co-operativeinsurance.co.uk if you want to give them a try. x:)

Thanks Lisa :) I went through Sheila's wheels, £35 per month - they have arranged with my Mum to do payments from her; they are paying for the car insurance, road tax, etc so that they can have my services as a driver occasionally lol.

Hopefully we will end up getting a Motability car in a few months and all this will be behind us.

We don't even have a parking space for the car at the moment, lol, so it's going to be at Mum's until one comes free!

edit: Hope you're feeling better, was thinking about you today as you haven't been around.

How's life being smoke-free?
  • Options
    CrazyChickCrazyChick Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Thanks Lisa :) I went through Sheila's wheels, £35 per month - they have arranged with my Mum to do payments from her; they are paying for the car insurance, road tax, etc so that they can have my services as a driver occasionally lol.

Hopefully we will end up getting a Motability car in a few months and all this will be behind us.

We don't even have a parking space for the car at the moment, lol, so it's going to be at Mum's until one comes free!

edit: Hope you're feeling better, was thinking about you today as you haven't been around.

How's life being smoke-free?

Smoke-free life would be fantastic if I could just shake this sinus cold and horrendous cough I've had for about 4 weeks lol. It's been so much easier than I thought it would be giving up- don't even think about them much now and certainly don't have strong, unbearable cravings when they do cross my mind. x:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever would think of putting charity on a bucket list????? :eek:
    Especially if you're going out to Africa to help build a school. :rolleyes:
    Tick - done that. LOL That's my charitable deed for this year.
    I've certainly learned a lot about this zelebrityness - thanks, Josie. :p

Of course, loads of kids do exactly that every year and have to raise all the money themselves to be able to go.
    A huge amount of fundraising for over 2 years usually. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as I know Achilles is just a character in Virgil's Aeneid and Homer's Iliad. And Troy for the most part is just part of the story as well - although attempts have been made to locate it somewhere in Turkey. There have been stories of excavation but no-one can categorically say that Troy existed except maybe as just the name of somewhere that was used in a story - as often happens in literature.

Well, I'm with you on biblical and mythical stories being merely allegorical stories. But as we know there are plenty of disagreements about what is true and what is not and what is allegorical. I'm sure Jesus did exist as an historical figure but as with all so-called figureheads/prophets a lot of myths have built up around him in order to make him even more special.

one of my favourite conversation was with group of 9 year old muslim chlldren who were all happy to tell me that Jesus was actually one of the people they recognised as a prophet, so he is actually respected.......and that christians and muslims and jews all share the same God.....

it did make me wonder how and why we therefore create so many religious squabbles, or use religion as an excuse to create conflict!!!
This discussion has been closed.