Options

Have you ever been fired? and Why

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
Forum Member
It happend to me once. When I was a student I cleaned offices, And I wasn't good enough.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Several years ago. Two of us were taken on, I was on a higher salary due to my qualifications and experience. The job actually turned out to be different than was advertised, it was just basic first line IT support and I was really over qualified but I got on with it and had very good appraisals.

But at the end of the three month trial period I was let go and the cheaper candidate was kept on, and was blatantly told that it was because I was more expensive. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only out of a canon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. As a student. For leaning against a wall. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    only out of a canon

You beat me to it. :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    No. I've walked out on a few jobs though. If someone even spoke to me in the wrong tone of voice when I was younger, I would simply tell them the f**k off in no uncertain terms and high tailed it out of there. I don't regret a thing.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellatella wrote: »
    It happend to me once. When I was a student I cleaned offices, And I wasn't good enough.

I would think it's pretty much impossible for someone to be incapable of being good enough at cleaning offices.
    Presumably you really mean you couldn't be arsed? :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have always left jobs at a time of my choosing
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    only out of a canon

... on religious grounds?
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    As a student working in a crappy shop, wanted to go Ice skating with friends so called in sick, however didn't foresee the manager also taking her kids to the same ice rink....promptly sacked on the spot!
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only out of a canon

Had he been on the communion sprouts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It didn't end well..
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, even though I once made a kimono wetsuit.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I got indirectly fired from my first proper job after I removed a floppy disk from a computer while it was running and got disciplined by my boss, who gave me a bad review afterwards. The ironic thing is the guy who reported me punched me in the stomach after the above disk removal event. If it had been nowadays, I could have sued him for thousands. He's probably dead now and I'm not losing any sleep over it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I got indirectly fired from my first proper job after I removed a floppy disk from a computer while it was running and got disciplined by my boss, who gave me a bad review afterwards. The ironic thing is the guy who reported me punched me in the stomach after the above disk removal event. If it had been nowadays, I could have sued him for thousands. He's probably dead now and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Why didn't you smack him one? :eek:
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Why didn't you smack him one? :eek:

Because it is not in my nature to be violent or aggressive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I would think it's pretty much impossible for someone to be incapable of being good enough at cleaning offices.

that too and I'm a lousy cleaner
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been fired, but I have resigned from a few jobs when I realised I was skating on thin ice.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sacked from my position for screwing up a work assignment. I deserved the sacking. When I was almost done with the copyright clearance, I was warned I may be relying on an unreliable source. I chose to ignore it because I believed the source knew what he was doing, but I was wrong. He totally misunderstood the data, which rendered the agreement void. My misplaced faith had cost the company £219,700. :o

The company offered me a different job straight after sacking me, though. :D Naturally, I accepted the offer. A demotion, granted, but it was better than nothing as I was in no position to find another job at such a short notice. I earned that position back within two years, thank god.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My hubby is a cleaner and you'd be surprised at the "Gold Standard" he is expected to clean to, plus they keep cutting his hours and expect the same work. It may be different in offices, but the state of the toilets where he works leave a lot to be desired. The loos may not be in full working order but the men still use them again and again. People throw things on the floor instead of using the bin that is right at their feet, claiming that my other half wouldn't have a job if they used their bins!!

The kitchen is a right mess everyday, don't know how some of these people live at home! I did work in an office where the cleaners job would have been a doddle, but it's the not same everywhere!
  • Options
    n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fired once and made redundant twice it oddly always happens at Xmas.

When I was fired it was the day of the Xmas holidays, me and my colleagues where gearing up to go out after work, the manager pulled me aside and told me that my contract was only temporary and they didn't need me back in the New Year.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I was sacked from my position for screwing up a work assignment. I deserved the sacking. When I was almost done with the copyright clearance, I was warned I may be relying on an unreliable source. I chose to ignore it because I believed the source knew what he was doing, but I was wrong. He totally misunderstood the data, which rendered the agreement void. My misplaced faith had cost the company £219,700. :o

The company offered me a different job straight after sacking me, though. :D Naturally, I accepted the offer. A demotion, granted, but it was better than nothing as I was in no position to find another job at such a short notice. I earned that position back within two years, thank god.

And no doubt you always checked your sources after that! AT least you're honest enough to say you got it wrong and the company obviously saw something in you that was of value to them for them to offer you another position.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

That's better than my attempt. Very good!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many years ago when still 'young and foolish'. First job after leaving school was in Hotel Catering and drink was always available 24/7. Went a bit OTT one day and was pissed by 9.30 in the morning so got told to go home.......and not return. :rolleyes:

Couple of days later I got another job which paid three times what i'd been earning in the Hotel, and for half the weekly hours too! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    No I haven't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Not yet, touch wood.