Options

TV Listing mags in the USA

2»

Comments

• Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another annoyance is repetition of ads like the 'I got it made fresh at Subway' where the ad will be on twice in a row or twice within the same break. TV here is primarily a sales too unless it's
    premium products such as HBO or Showtime.

I have been to Canada twice mostly the Toronto area and a vist to Niagra Falls. From what I seen on TV there is far to many ad breaks. I think the first time I went to Canada in 2005 the hotal room had a magazine called Cable Guide and some of the listings said say from 6pm-7pm payed programming so you did not know what was on just that it was a payed programe in that hour. Not that I watched much TV over there just own and again.

Darren
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I would have thought the average hour long show in the US actually lasts for more like 42-44 mins these days - in the UK we must be at around 44-46mins, when it used to be around 50mins of show per hour.

It gets worse when watching some US shows on the BBC, I remember the 'real time' TV show 24 being shown on BBC, and working out that by the end of the series it would be 6 hours short of a full day.

But it does mean you can watch an entire series on DVD in a day and still manage to get some sleep as well :cool:
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    It gets worse when watching some US shows on the BBC, I remember the 'real time' TV show 24 being shown on BBC, and working out that by the end of the series it would be 6 hours short of a full day.

But it does mean you can watch an entire series on DVD in a day and still manage to get some sleep as well :cool:

I think daytime tv shows in the US are even shorter - 38 minutes isn't unheard of looking at Hulu for shows like the View.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in the USA, I noticed once one programme ends, the next one starts immediately with no break. I presume that's because they hope viewers will stick with it and not switch channels?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    All the time. They didn't use to have to give out the warnings but were forced to. One impotence drug states 'If you have an erection last more than 4 hours ring a doctor!' or 'If you stop breathing seek immediate medical attention?!'

They're usually followed by law firms taking class actions against the pharmaceutical company for older drugs with their 'If you or your love one has suffered serious injury or death contact us now.' From beyond the grave presumably.

Otherwise it's fast food or hucksters flogging gold or silver.

And I thought bingo, car insurance and loan adverts were bad! :eek: I ain't seen nothing!
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in the USA, I noticed once one programme ends, the next one starts immediately with no break. I presume that's because they hope viewers will stick with it and not switch channels?

Yeah it has been in use by the over-the-air networks and now most cable for at least 10 years. The idea being that if the transition is seamless the viewer won't notice, have time, or the willingness to change the channel. So all advertising is done within the programming and the transitions are made without break.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Yeah it has been in use by the over-the-air networks and now most cable for at least 10 years. The idea being that if the transition is seamless the viewer won't notice, have time, or the willingness to change the channel. So all advertising is done within the programming and the transitions are made without break.

Gold did,it like that when it stated off as uk gold.
  • Options
    jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm surprised some British networks haven't tried this out yet