Is this surround sound etc?

Any idea what this is?

jkklg4.jpg

The cable runs from where the previous owners had their TV to the back of the room. Any ideas what it is as I'm trying to work out whether to cut it and lose it or not.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea.

It looks very much like it's using CAT 5 or similar network cable but I don't recognise the plug type.

I would very much doubt it was used to feed audio signals anywhere, more likely some sort of control system for something.
  • chris_elevatechris_elevate Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes, I thought it might be a network cable at one point. Can anyone confirm what it is please? Thanks.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The plug end isn't a standard AV connector. So irrespective of what the cable inside actually is (and it does look like network cable, but that's by-the-bye), the fact that it's likely to be a bespoke connection cable for gear you don't own means that you're unlikely to ever be able to use it.

My guess is that it was for some kind of all-in-one surround kit. The DVD/Blu-ray player head-end would have been under the TV. The bass box containing the sub and amp was hidden at the back of the room.

If you can't make use of the cable either as Cat5 or as a pull wire for your own cable, and it's plastered in, then get rid.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like a tiny edge connector. But if not oxygen free single crystal kryptonite plated with tesla coils, then how can it possibly work ?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plug end isn't a standard AV connector. So irrespective of what the cable inside actually is (and it does look like network cable, but that's by-the-bye), the fact that it's likely to be a bespoke connection cable for gear you don't own means that you're unlikely to ever be able to use it.

My guess is that it was for some kind of all-in-one surround kit. The DVD/Blu-ray player head-end would have been under the TV. The bass box containing the sub and amp was hidden at the back of the room.

If you can't make use of the cable either as Cat5 or as a pull wire for your own cable, and it's plastered in, then get rid.
    Actually now I think about it...

There is another thread on here where a DS member was talking about a Panasonic system he had obtained. That system has a control cable that runs between the disk player section and the sub which contains all the amplifier gubbins.

Had a quick google and the images of that cable do bear a resemblance to the OP's image. But without the bit sticking out the end where you can see the ends of the wires (unless that has been pushed out of the body of the plug for some reason?)

So it is quite possible that the OP's cable is something along those lines. And without the bits that the cable plugs into either end then probably not a lot of use. Unless he wants to chop the connectors off and crimp a RJ45 plug on each end and use it as an ethernet cable. Assuming it really is using CAT 5 or similar cable. It might be CW1308 phone cable (very similar colour coding to the wires) in which case only good for a phone extension :)
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    looks like a tiny edge connector. But if not oxygen free single crystal kryptonite plated with tesla coils, then how can it possibly work ?
    probably the same way that phone extension and Cat cable works :D