Options

Garbage Kies Won't Let Me Upgrade Firmware. Any Alternatives?

2»

Comments

• Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kies is the reason I will not buy another Samsung phone again LOL total POS software.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    Kies is the reason I will not buy another Samsung phone again LOL total POS software.

You don't have to use Kies. It has to be one of the worst pieces of software I've ever uses. It doesn't stop me using Samsung galaxy devices though.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately kies is sometimes required to update some firmware. never had a n issue with it myself it's fairly basic and limited but does the essential upgrades if required and no need to use it beyond that.

OP there are 2 versions of Kies, stupidly enough, one for older devices so make sure you are not using ver 3.0.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, Anika Hanson; it is a truly awful and unresponsive piece of software that really ought to be scrapped and replaced by something that actually works and that isn't bloatware.

kies works fine on my note 3, it was practically useless on my s3.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    OP there are 2 versions of Kies, stupidly enough, one for older devices so make sure you are not using ver 3.0.
    It's the exact opposite of stupid, actually.

Most of the issues with Kies were because it retained backwards-compatibility for an absolutely enormous range of devices - I think something like every Galaxy handset, Bada handsets, Symbian handsets, non-smartphones and possibly even old WinMo handsets.
    It became massively bloated and unreliable because of that.

The only way to fix matters was for Samsung to sort of start over, so they produced Kies 3.0 which is only for Android handsets running 4.3 or higher. It's much, much more reliable (not difficult really) and not as bloated.

So, there you have it - both versions are available as a) Kies 3.0 fixes the problems of the older version and b) Kies 2.6 provides compatibility for older handsets etc, instead of Samsung dropping support for loads of customers.