Aberdeen City freeview reception fault, signal quality jumping up and down

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hello,

Over the last 2 days, we have been experiencing odd behavior with an otherwise perfect freeview reception. Im in AB24 postcode from the Durris transmitter.

We have a typical single aerial feeding a low gain dist amp which feeds 6 aerial points (all F connectors and RG59 cable) and currently there is a Samsung freeview TV and 2 YouView (one is BT branded) boxes.

Over the last 24 hours recordings have became unwatchable as the boxes appear to cut out slightly bad sections and "live" broadcasts suffer alot of missing or misscoloured blocks.

The signal strengths are all good, however the quality is very jumpy.

Ive studied each mux for 2 mins and tried to log what happened with a YouView box:

Ch 1, BBCA, 88-100% Strength, Mostly 100% (90,80,90,70 dips)
Ch 3, D3&4, 87-88% Strength, Mostly 100% (90,90,80 dips)
Ch 10, SDN, 85-87% Strength, Frequent jumps between 40 and 100%
Ch 11, ArqA, 85-86% Strength, Frequent jumps between 40 and 100%
Ch 15, ArqB, 86-89% Strength, Mostly 100% (90,80,90,60,90,60 dips)
Ch101, BBCB, 89-90% Strength, Always 100%
Ch110, COM7, 78-80% strength, Always 100%

Where ive listed eg 90,80,90,70 dips, these were what happened over 2 mins. These channels which were always or mostly 100% always gave a perfect image as far as i could see from the live view in the corner and a min of viewing.

The two bad ones, SDN and ArqA jump between 40% and 100% every half to full second for around 5-10secs, then it calms down for 2-10secs before jumping again.

I had wondered if it was 4G but ive had 20+ Mb/s 4G on my phone at home for over 18 months (EE), so unless a new operator is in the area.

The at800.tv says i shouldn't be affected by 4G but im tempted to get a filter. Ive re-tuned and it has no effect.

The dist amp is about 8 years old so perhaps it has developed a fault but id have expected this on other channels.

Has anybody seen this behavior?

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For starters, if you currently have the full list of channels on your box/TV whatever you do, do not retune again, because you could just lose the lot and you will not know when the problem has been sorted.

As far as 4G is concerned, this "problem" seems to have been seriously over-hyped and so is unlikely to be your problem, though it cannot be totally ruled out.

It is more likely that something has gone wrong with your aerial, the cable or the amplifier. The fact that not all Mux are bad may just be down to some being slightly stronger where you are and your box/TV is managing to cope with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hello,

thanks for the feedback - i had looked at the transmitter wiki page and if its correct our signals are indeed far from the 800Mhz band.

None the less i bought a filter just incase and as i had a feeling, it made no difference at all.

Will try removing the dist amp and feeding one box directly to prove the status of the amplifier. I have seen the DC smoothing caps go in these putting alot of ripple onto the amplifiers however im sure the receivers must be immune to 50 and 100Hz + harmonics frequencies so that may be another long shot.

Suspect a new aerial may be needed as i understand from neighbors it was changed to receive channel 5 when it first came out.

Will keep you posted.