Options

The baby boom thread (part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I think we'll book it for around the 28th week then - then we've only got 12 weeks to wait until we meet him for real.

I've convinced myself he's a boy - not sure what I'll do if we find out she's a girl. I wouldn't be disappointed at all, it'd just take a while to stop myself from referring to bump as our boys name!

I've booked another midwife appointment for next week to have a chat about how I've been feeling. I get myself all stressed about one thing or another, and then worry about how that affects the baby - which makes me then worry about them. I think, secretly, I'm just hoping she'll have a listen to heartbeat and reassure me it's all okay. The 23rd and our 20week scan can't come soon enough!!
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are all the Mums today?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been here on and off but its difficult to reply on my phone!

Saladcream, Ive just bought a baby weavers imax adapt from Kiddicare, they are currently half price (in some colours) and it is suitable from birth despite being a pramette not a pram. It's really easy to steer, I can turn it 360 degrees one handed, easy to fold up and down and it can parent face or face away.

louptheloop I was paranpid all the way through my pregnancy so I know how you feel! I'm sure all will be ok though :-) When I had my little girl I was convinced she was a boy from day one, luckily we decided to find out her sex at 20 weeks as it was such a shock I cried for 2 days. I wasn't disappointed as such, I just got used to imagining a boy when I thought about my baby,
  • Options
    miss-kittymiss-kitty Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Havn't been on for a few days, I've had such a hectic weekend. I've hardly been home!
    Will be getting into proper routine this week though. Boys are back at school today, and OH will be back at work on Wednesday.
    We are taking our little madam into work today to show her off to all the kids, as I promised them I would.
    Chloe is currently feeding every 2 hours or so during the day, but only every 3-4 at night, meaning I am getting plenty of sleep! She only really wakes once in the night, She has a feed between 10 and 11, wakes between 2 and 3 and then sleeps until about 6 or 7 in the morning, which is when I usually get up anyway :)

The novelty still hasn't worn off for the boys yet, and they are constantly fussing over her, touching and kissing her face. Helping me loads by getting all the nappies out etc....
    They are not fazed by her crying, they just do what they can to distract her while I am busy, and then help me with whatever I need if they can.

How is everyone else?! xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mission for today is packing my hospital bag! Hoping it's big enough for all the stuff which needs to go in it! I'm almost 34 weeks now and getting excited! Off on holiday next week to Cornwall, my family are all paranoid he will come early and be a Cornish baby!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and saladcream, we bought this pram because of all the extras with it. It's light and easy to put up and down.
    http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Travel-and-Pushchairs/Travel-Systems-and-Pushchairs/Travel-systems/Graco-Quattro-Tour-Deluxe-Travel-System-I-Love-My-Bear(0068326)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read many of the older posts, I came here for just a couple of random questions and saw this thread so thought I'd pose here rather than starting a new one.

Anyway, me and my girlfriend are expecting our baby in about 3 months. We have our own debate about breastfeeding so don't need to add to previous discussions.
    I just want to know how many parents on here DIDN'T use a dummy at all.
    My girlfriend said she doesn't want the child to grow up relying on it, or screaming until she gets it like you see so many doing. I sort of agree with this, but I don't know any other parents that restrict the use of a dummy, so I thought I'd check on here for some opinions.

Yes I know it will shut the baby up but I just don't think you should rely on them so much as some parents do.

Another quick random question about the baby during pregnancy. Did your baby have a "sleeping place", Sounds silly but whenever the baby is what we assume is sleeping she is always without fail in the exact same place. You can feel her on the right hand side sticking out.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    I haven't read many of the older posts, I came here for just a couple of random questions and saw this thread so thought I'd pose here rather than starting a new one.

Anyway, me and my girlfriend are expecting our baby in about 3 months. We have our own debate about breastfeeding so don't need to add to previous discussions.
    My girlfriend said she doesn't want the child to grow up relying on it, or screaming until she gets it like you see so many doing. I sort of agree with this, but I don't know any other parents that restrict the use of a dummy, so I thought I'd check on here for some opinions.
    Yes I know it will shut the baby up but I just don't think you should rely on them so much as some parents do.

Another quick random question about the baby during pregnancy. Did your baby have a "sleeping place", Sounds silly but whenever the baby is what we assume is sleeping she is always without fail in the exact same place. You can feel her on the right hand side sticking out.

I didn't want to use a dummy, but my husband persuaded me to give our daughter a dummy at night and maybe that's why she has been sleeping through the night from the age of 4 months. I had no problem taking the dummy away when she turned 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question, did you wash your baby's clothing before he/she was born even though all clothes are new? We have bought loads (didn't realise how much until I've just gone through it all!) and not sure I can face washing it all, lol!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't give my son a dummy to start with - he didn't seem to need one. I did offer him one at about 3 months as I was trying not to breastfeed him to sleep so thought this might help but he refused to take it. However, a couple of months later I tried again and he did take to it and does have one for sleeping with now. I didn't have a strong opinion either way about using one or not but I don't want him to have it much past 1 so we'll have to start weaning him off it soon!

I could never really tell very easily what position he was in unless he stuck a foot or elbow out!
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acid venus

We weren't going to use a dummy either, but after both of our daughters screamed blue murder & we'd ruled out every other possibility , we did give them dummies to get off to sleep. Once they were properly asleep, I'd take it out of

their mouths. It certainly helped to sooth them . Some people won't use them because they think it looks common, or is an admission of failure !

I'd have gone insane without them . They'd given them up by the time they were a year old. They did suck their thumbs a little bit, but it didn't do them any harm.

So don't rule out giving a dummy to your baby.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to use dummies but with my first, my mother who was adamant I should use one started encouraging my daughter to suck fingers for comfort. Having younger sisters who still suck their thumbs at age 11 I caved and started to use a dummy as I knew I could remove that when my daughter got older whereas you can't take thumbs away. As it happens I had no problem at all getting her dummy off her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm now 33 weeks pregnant with my 4th and none of my children have ever had a dummy. I personally don't like them but I can understand why parents resort to using them. It is hard not to try giving a dummy when you haven't slept for 3 days and you've tried everything you can think of to soothe your child, but I'm glad I never gave in to temptation.

As for washing new baby clothes, I don't bother. I did for my first but I really don't think it's necessary. There'll be enough washing to do after the baby's born!
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joo-joo wrote: »
    I'm now 33 weeks pregnant with my 4th and none of my children have ever had a dummy. I personally don't like them but I can understand why parents resort to using them. It is hard not to try giving a dummy when you haven't slept for 3 days and you've tried everything you can think of to soothe your child, but I'm glad I never gave in to temptation.

As for washing new baby clothes, I don't bother. I did for my first but I really don't think it's necessary. There'll be enough washing to do after the baby's born!

I never washed any of the new clothes either :o but I think people say you're supposed to
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

I gave son number 1 a dummy for two reasons, one cos it is supposedly good for them with the latest SIDS research and two cos i still sucked my thumb into my late teens when i was tired or grumpy and removing a dummy is easier than a thumb. He always had his dummy as a baby and really got some comfort from it but as he got older he was only allowed it at night never when we were out then by two got rid of it totally

Number 2 child has a dummy but has never used it for sleeping its available in the day should he want it, if he does he does if not he will spit it out he is not fussed with it

Dummies in themselves are not bad things it is how you use them with your children and the type of parent you are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    I gave son number 1 a dummy for two reasons, one cos it is supposedly good for them with the latest SIDS research and two cos i still sucked my thumb into my late teens when i was tired or grumpy and removing a dummy is easier than a thumb. He always had his dummy as a baby and really got some comfort from it but as he got older he was only allowed it at night never when we were out then by two got rid of it totally

Number 2 child has a dummy but has never used it for sleeping its available in the day should he want it, if he does he does if not he will spit it out he is not fussed with it

Dummies in themselves are not bad things it is how you use them with your children and the type of parent you are

The dummies around today are very designer looking!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    The dummies around today are very designer looking!!

i know some of the slogan ones are excellent used them with my first he loved the mam ones

this baby doesnt really use them at all but prefers the avent ones which are a bit boring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, perhaps I won't bother washing them then! As you say there will be enough washing to do when he's here!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sareypoop wrote: »
    Hmm, perhaps I won't bother washing them then! As you say there will be enough washing to do when he's here!!

i always wash mine and the kids even now all new clothes before it gets worn, we all have sensitive skin so i prefer it but also i dont like to think who has groped things in shops and where their mitts have been but i would make everyone wear vinyl gloves all the time and sterelise everything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't bother washing all the new clothes, but anything I got secondhand (even from friends) I did wash...
    And oh my gosh did I forget how much washing such a tiny baby can make! :eek:

As for dummies, I didn't want my children to have one as A) my sister was a nightmare to claw it away from, and B) my brothers never took to one, so clearly didn't NEED it.

When my boys were in Special care after they were born, we were asked if we intended using dummies, to which we said no, not unless we absolutely have to. We came in 2 days later to find both boys sucking on a dummy, when questioned, the nurses said, oh it was easier, we don't have enough staff to deal with every screaming baby. We took it away and they were both fine the entire time we were there, so we tucked them in a cupboard when we had to leave for the night, only to come back the next morning to find them sucking on brand new dummies!!!!
    We gave up after a few times trying to hide the dummies, and they just wouldn't listen to us. Within a week of the boys being home with us we threw out all dummies and they never even whimpered!! Proving they didn't need it.
    So far we have avoided a dummy with Madam, and if I can keep on doing so then great, but if she NEEDS one, then she will have one, some babies just do. My best friends baby needed something to suck on for comfort, and as others said, it's easier to get rid of a dummy than of a thumb.

I am not against dummies, just the parents that use them to shut their child up rather than work out what they want/need. Drives me crazy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the dummy comments, will take it all an board and let my girlfriend have a read too.

I'ts not because they look common or we will appear weak, i hope I've not given that impression. It was just as I said in my post, I just don't want her to rely on them, learn that she gets one when she screams and then will just scream to get what she wants.

My girlfriends little brother is 12 and in high school now, if he comes over I let him on the games consoles, but then he will cry when he has to go. I could be wrong but to me 12 years is too old for that behavior and wander if that roots from simple stuff like getting what he wants (i.e a dummy) when he cries..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the dummy comments, will take it all an board and let my girlfriend have a read too.

I'ts not because they look common or we will appear weak, i hope I've not given that impression. It was just as I said in my post, I just don't want her to rely on them, learn that she gets one when she screams and then will just scream to get what she wants.

My girlfriends little brother is 12 and in high school now, if he comes over I let him on the games consoles, but then he will cry when he has to go. I could be wrong but to me 12 years is too old for that behavior and wander if that roots from simple stuff like getting what he wants (i.e a dummy) when he cries..

I think I'd have to agree with that to be honest. My boys are 6 and we never gave into them when they cried as babies and toddlers, and taught them instead reason and comprimise, as a result now that they are 6, they understand they are not going to get what they want just because they want it, but they will either have to earn it with good behaviour, or wait until birthday/christmas etc
    We are currently trying to teach them not to run to our babies side everytime she cries and trying to explain to them that she will likely end up a spoilt brat if she thinks all she has to do is cry and she will get what she wants.

It was the same in my household when I was growing up, and I learnt the value of the things I did get, rather than sulk about the things I didn't. I have applied the same principles with my own children and it seems to be working. This goes for all aspects of our lives by the way, i.e if I am busy doing the housework or something, they will have to wait for their drink/biscuit etc

My boys appreciate that we don't always have the money for certain things, but 9 times out of 10 when we do, they will get the things they have asked for, provided they have been good enough.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acid Venus, I'm one of the group of helpful grandmas that post here :)

My granddaughter is almost 6 months old and my son and daughter-in-law didn't want her to have a dummy. Instead she has always had a Taggie. We bought hers in Jojo Maman Bebe because they had the best choice of colours, and she loves it. She sucks on one of the varying little ribbon tags, they all have a different texture :)

Edited to add: this was on the recommendation of our family GP, who had used them for both his daughters!
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcidVenus - I never really had a strong view either way on dummy use, i bought some before my son was born "just incase" but he's actually been a very laid back happy little baby pretty much from day 1 & doesn't even really seem to like the dummy so it never gets used during the day - however i do sometimes give it to him to settle him to sleep and also because i read that it can help reduce cot death. But i don't think it will be hard to wean him off it when he gets to 6 months as he doesn't use it during the day. I think like a few others have said it's best just to keep an open mind when it comes to things like that.

Sareypoop - i washed everything, i think just because everything seems softer & nicer once its been washed, and also you never know if clothes & things that aren't in packaging havent been dropped on the floor or if people with mucky hands have touched them! But maybe thats just me! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Acid Venus, I'm one of the group of helpful grandmas that post here :)

My granddaughter is almost 6 months old and my son and daughter-in-law didn't want her to have a dummy. Instead she has always had a Taggie. We bought hers in Jojo Maman Bebe because they had the best choice of colours, and she loves it. She sucks on one of the varying little ribbon tags, they all have a different texture :)

Edited to add: this was on the recommendation of our family GP, who had used them for both his daughters!

My granddaughter will not be parted from her Taggie.