PVR 9200 hard drive wiped

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
Hi my pvr9200 froze last night and as before I switched the power off, left it off for a short tme and switched back on. It then reloaded and the recording schedules were unchanged but the hard drive has been wiped apart from one programme recorded last night and 2 recorded this afternoon. I presume these are lost for ever? I did a full reset about a month ago after having problems and it seemed to solve them and then this. My question is, can I trust it from now on or is it time to ditch it in favour of something newer and more reliable? Any thoughts on a good replacement welcomed if it is time to replace it.

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    weeleyboy wrote: »
    Hi my pvr9200 froze last night and as before I switched the power off, left it off for a short tme and switched back on. It then reloaded and the recording schedules were unchanged but the hard drive has been wiped apart from one programme recorded last night and 2 recorded this afternoon. I presume these are lost for ever? I did a full reset about a month ago after having problems and it seemed to solve them and then this. My question is, can I trust it from now on or is it time to ditch it in favour of something newer and more reliable?

The file system is corrupt which is a common problem. You can recover the recordings if you are prepared to connect the drive to a PC by using humaxrw in recovery mode. You then format the disk and normal functionality will be resumed. I don't think this suggests that the box is on its way out. My estimate is that it happens on avaerage every couple of years but more frequently if the box is locking up a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Martin. Not sure how to link to pc and what is HumaxRW? Any advice to a dumb one much appreciated
    eg what equipment/software is needed. Couldn't find much in the handbook about linking to a pc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how to link to pc and what is HumaxRW? eg what equipment/software is needed. Couldn't find much in the handbook about linking to a pc.

There is nothing in the handbook about this sort of operation. Some people find this difficult so do think hard about whether you want to proceed. If you decide not to proceed then format the drive from the HDD control item in the Record menu to recover the lost space.

You need a USB to IDE adapter such as http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35057. Turn off the 9200 at the mains (and don't power it on again until you replace the lid). Remove the screws holding the lid and remove the lid. Disconnect the two cables attached to the hard drive. If it will fit in situ attach the USB to IDE adapter to the drive and the also attach the power supply that comes with the adapter. If it it doesn't fit in situ then remove the four screws holing the disk carrier to the case and remove the complete assembly. Attach the USB lead to the PC.

Dowload humaxrw from http://humaxdisk.wikispaces.com/HumaxRW and unzip it into a directory immediately below root such as c:\humax.

Start up a command prompt
    Start>All programs>Accessories command prompt

Type
    c:
    cd humax
    humaxrw 1: -r -l

With luck this should bring up a listing of the missing programs. If not try

humaxrw 2: -r -l

If this doesn't work then post here for more assistance. Then for example to get file numbers 10 to 12 and 18 to the current directory as "recover_nnnn.ts" where "nnnn" is 0010, 0011, 0012 & 0018.

humaxrw 1: -r -g 10-12,18

When you have extracted all the files (this can take hours if there are a lot of programs) connect the drive to the 9200 again and replace the lid. Format the drive from the HDD control menu item.

On the PV generate hre files with

ts2hrw *.ts

Reattach the drive to the USB to IDE adapter and copy the files back to the Humax disk with

humaxrw 1: -p *.ts

Connect the drive to the 9200, refit the lid, cross fingers and switch on. Doubtless I will have missed something or not been clear so please ask questions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Wow Martin! Thanks for the info. As you say, some people may find that difficult and that includes me - it's way above my pay scale. I did go and collect a 9300 on Christmas Eve to ensure reliability but that has locked up once already. I have had a transmitter for headphones switched on about a foot above the box - is this likely to have had adverse effects. I have removed it now so will be interesting to see if has any effect. Happy New Year to all who make this such a valuable forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did go and collect a 9300 on Christmas Eve to ensure reliability but that has locked up once already.

What software version is it running? It may not be on the latest version which has a fix for the lockup problem.