Time to populate the EPG?

AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm at my parent's and their 9150 has failed to fully populate the EPG after 90 minutes. I can't see anything obviously wrong (I have a 9200 so sort of know what to look for) and I'm after some suggestions.

They live in North Wales (Llanddona transmitter) so have been through several re-tunes.

The box was tuned to BBC 1 but we were watching a recording.

When I first brought up the guide ITV 1, Five, FiveR, C4, More 4 were all empty. When I tuned to C4 it seemed to start populating Five and More 4.

I've also found that several recordings from ITV 1 and ITV 3 have overshot by a long time. Several recordings that should only have been an hour were several hours long.

Comments?

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    The box was tuned to BBC 1 but we were watching a recording. When I first brought up the guide ITV 1, Five, FiveR, C4, More 4 were all empty. When I tuned to C4 it seemed to start populating Five and More 4.

First thing to try would be a reset to default settings. If that doesn't work then a manual tune to 43, 46, 50, 57,60 (assuming they receive from Llanndona and not via a relay).
  • mandarinmandarin Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    My experience is that the EPG does not populate when a recording is being played.

Quickest is to turn onto BBC1 and leave for a while, I generally switch box on 30 minutes ahead of time needed and that seems to do the trick.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandarin wrote: »
    My experience is that the EPG does not populate when a recording is being played.
    Untrue in the 9200T since the .21 sofware, and unlikely to be true on the 9150.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which box, which software version?
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not true for the 9200T but I'm not sure about the 9150. Some channels had populate though - probably most of them.

I will consider a reset to defaults and manual tune. They don't have much marked for recording atm so now might be a good time.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Some have reported that leaving the EPG on display slows down the population process. I suspect that actually it just does not refresh the current display even after it has collected the necessary info. You can see this by exiting the EPG then calling it up again straightaway. Or page forward days / hours then page back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done the manual tune but it hasn't helped. ITV 1 and a couple of others are just refusing to populate. What the *bleep* causes this? Is it just ITV being their usual incompetent selves?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Have you tried leaving it on an ITV channel?
  • hophop Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    This is happening to me too on my 9200T. The EPG only populates if you tune to different channels in turn (BBC, then ITV, then Channel 5 if I remember correctly).

Without doing this, the EPG will not fully complete even if left on for hours.

First noticed this when setting up recordings over Christmas/New Year.

Have done default reset & manual tune.

If the new software doesn't fix this, I think it'll be ending up on Ebay. Surely a good EPG is a basic requirement of a good PVR?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Have you tried leaving it on an ITV channel?
    Yeah. Rather oddly that seemed to spur Five and FiveR into populating..but only few three days. Then that was it. We left it on while we ate dinner and when we came back it had finally populated ITV 1.

So that took between two and two and a half hours.

I've emailed ITV but it's probably not their fault and I probably wouldn't get a sensible response if it was. Still - you have to try :rolleyes: