Crashing new PVR 9150T

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Bought a PVR9150T a few weeks ago after the wonders of a Thompson DTI got too much for me.

Hoped it would prove to be more robust, but not so, as it is crashing (freezing) randomly, but averaging about once per day. Freezes require full reboot. There is no pattern to the freezes, such as previous channel viewed etc, and it is usually freezing of its own accord, whether recording or just switched on but inactive.

Have read through the various threads here about DSO and 800s etc, and confirm it is on the most recent OTA software.

The box is receiving from Llanddona (only), and has no channels in the 800s. I have done a full reset /default settings and retune too, made no difference. The crashing was occurring pre DSO phase 1 change, and is still happening now.

Any advice before getting another one/throwing it out of the window? If it is software then there is no point in getting another one, provided an update is imminent.

TIA

Comments

• tobykimtobykim Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to know what's going on as they are messing round with the signal at the moment, my Aunt was complaining about it but my friend hasn't mentioned it and she would as she can barely work the box, both hummy's and llandonna by the way.
    Can you return the box and get a replacement to see if that's any better
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwoot1 wrote: »
    If it is software then there is no point in getting another one, provided an update is imminent.

Humax are reportely testing a fix for a problem that causes the 9150/9300 (but not 9200) to lock up. Hopefully should be available before too long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    tobykim wrote: »
    It's hard to know what's going on as they are messing round with the signal at the moment, my Aunt was complaining about it but my friend hasn't mentioned it and she would as she can barely work the box, both hummy's and llandonna by the way.
    Can you return the box and get a replacement to see if that's any better

Rather not mess around with exchanges because I don't have time for the hassle.

If there is a known problem and other people are experiencing it, then I'll hang fire. Just haven't seen much said about the 9150 and this type of problem.

A bit burnt with the Thompson which despite various promises of a fix was always a nightmare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    adwoot1 wrote: »

If there is a known problem and other people are experiencing it, then I'll hang fire. Just haven't seen much said about the 9150 and this type of problem.

We have a 9300 (same as a 9150 except for disk size) with exactly the same problems. We are on Llanddona but do have some unwatchable channels in the 800s. I'd go and fix that, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    We have a 9300 (same as a 9150 except for disk size) with exactly the same problems. We are on Llanddona but do have some unwatchable channels in the 800s. I'd go and fix that, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to.
    The reason for fixing having channels in the 800 range (other than the dummy "Five" channel with the "Five as moved" banner) is that this means you are receiving signals from more than one transmitter. This confuses the Humax PVRs resulting in EPG population and recording errors. The fix is to Manual tune only those signals from your local transmitter.

Colin
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »

Thanks - as I said, nothing in the 800s and still crashing.

See how it goes over the next week or so...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I have exactly the same problem - my 9150t crashes every single day at the moment. Any other tips would be very welcome!
  • HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    shovel25 wrote: »
    I have exactly the same problem - my 9150t crashes every single day at the moment. Any other tips would be very welcome!

Two posts found on hummy.org.

http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=43802&postcount=4

http://www.hummy.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=44050&postcount=89
  • Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    have you tried reformatting the HDD, i was getting this last week, random freezing which required a full reboot, but after the format, its all fine and dandy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait for the software fix from Humax for this problem which hopefully will arrive in the next week or two.
    Forum Member
    I have tried everything!

I wait in anticipation for this software update - thanks for letting us know its on its way in the next couple of weeks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I have had my 9150 for approx a month now and, am glad to say that I have not experienced any of the symptoms that others have had since the retune.
    What does worry me a little now is, if Humax does offer an OTA during the next few weeks, it might exacerbate a problem that I hadn’t had in the first place, if you see what I mean!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hemlock wrote: »
    What does worry me a little now is, if Humax does offer an OTA during the next few weeks, it might exacerbate a problem that I hadn’t had in the first place, if you see what I mean!
    On the other hand it might forestall a problem you have yet to experience. If it were to cause problms then you could always revert to an earlier version by downloading it to the Humax from a PC.
    Forum Member
    My 9150t is still crashing - isn't supposed to be fixed by now with the latest updates? Thanks for your help!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 9150t is still crashing - isn't supposed to be fixed by now with the latest updates?

What is your software version? Where in the country are you?
  • realistic246realistic246 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    On the other hand it might forestall a problem you have yet to experience. If it were to cause problms then you could always revert to an earlier version by downloading it to the Humax from a PC.

Not to a 9150T, as there is no conn for a PC.

Conns on the rear are, (quoted from the manual and on visual inspection);-
    TV Scart
    VCR Scart
    RS-232C
    Antenna in
    TV/VCR, "Connects to the RF In of the TV or VCR using an RF cable"
    ON/OFF

I was told over the phone by Humax tech support that the 9150 has no ability to "back up from the HD, or connect to a PC".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told over the phone by Humax tech support that the 9150 has no ability to "back up from the HD, or connect to a PC".

The RS232 is for applying software updates from a PC. Many many people have done this on a 9150.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Wait for the software fix from Humax for this problem which hopefully will arrive in the next week or two.

New software being broadcast next Mon-Wed:
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php
    Forum Member
    The RS232 is for applying software updates from a PC. Many many people have done this on a 9150.

So not for the first time, Humax are telling porkies?

Why would they not inform people of such?
    I specifically asked them when my first 9150 stuck on load up and I had recorded programmes I wanted to keep, and was told what I put in my post,(#18), above, " the 9150 has no ability to "back up from the HD, or connect to a PC".

Or is the RS232 only capable of going one way? i.e it will download to the PVR, but you cannot upload from the PVR to a computer?
    Forum Member
    The following is an e-mail reply from Humax Customer Support on 16th September 2009 when I had asked them specifically about transferring from the PVR to another source;-

"Hi,
    There is no way of archiving anything from the PVR to another source, the only way of doing this is recording this on to your PVR and the playing it back and record it with your VCR or DVD recorder.

Also the only reason why you cannot just copy it over to another source is because there is no way of doing this as this does not have any of transferring the source."
    Forum Member
    What is your software version? Where in the country are you?

Thanks for your help - my software version is HPTTF1.00.14. It says the update date is Dec 17th 2008 which I don't understand as it is set to automatically update and i have done some manual updates just to be sure... Any advice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my software version is HPTTF1.00.14. It says the update date is Dec 17th 2008 which I don't understand as it is set to automatically update and i have done some manual updates just to be sure... Any advice?

You didn't answer the question about where in the country you are. The update has only been broadcast on MUX B to date and that means that users in parts of the country where MUX B is not used will not have received it. The good news is that it will be broadcast on the normal engineering channel next week (Monday to Wednesday). Note that the box needs to be in standby to receive the update automatically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is the RS232 only capable of going one way?

Sigh. The RS-232 is for applying software updates only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hi,
    There is no way of archiving anything from the PVR to another source.

This is correct (except for the unoffical ways of modifying the box).