Crashing new PVR 9150T

2»

Comments

• wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    No lies from Humax ... just the truth about the limitations of their own product.

If it was possible to connect to the HDD via RS232 downloads of an individual prog would take days and days and days and ...

It would be a good idea if you read up on the technical details of RS232 interfaces before calling hard working and helpful CS personnel liars... :rolleyes:
    So not for the first time, Humax are telling porkies?
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The following is an e-mail reply from Humax Customer Support on 16th September 2009 when I had asked them specifically about transferring from the PVR to another source;-

"Hi,
    There is no way of archiving anything from the PVR to another source, the only way of doing this is recording this on to your PVR and the playing it back and record it with your VCR or DVD recorder.

Also the only reason why you cannot just copy it over to another source is because there is no way of doing this as this does not have any of transferring the source."

Humax customer support have told you here how to archive stuff from your 9150.
  • realistic246realistic246 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Big-les wrote: »
    Humax customer support have told you here how to archive stuff from your 9150.

But it is of no use when the HD fails,(won't load up as in my first one), then there is no way to access the recordings, unless one is psychic and knows when the HD is going to fail!

Like I said in a previous post, these PRVs are not all they are cracked up to be, a VCR, or DVDR can't lose recordings, because they are not stored on the machine!

wgmorg wrote: »
    It would be a good idea if you read up on the technical details of RS232 interfaces

I don't need to read up on the RS232, as,hopefully, I shall have no use for it, and as I suggested/asked in my post #21, "Or is the RS232 only capable of going one way? i.e it will download to the PVR, but you cannot upload from the PVR to a computer?", this appears to be correct, it will only go one way!
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to read up on the RS232, as,hopefully, I shall have no use for it, and as I suggested/asked in my post #21, "Or is the RS232 only capable of going one way? i.e it will download to the PVR, but you cannot upload from the PVR to a computer?", this appears to be correct, it will only go one way!

Martin has already mentioned this twice so for the third time, the RS232 port is only used for loading software into the Hummy.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it is of no use when the HD fails,(won't load up as in my first one), then there is no way to access the recordings, unless one is psychic and knows when the HD is going to fail!

Like I said in a previous post, these PRVs are not all they are cracked up to be, a VCR, or DVDR can't lose recordings, because they are not stored on the machine!
    PVRs are for timeshifting, not storing programmes. You need a DVDR for that, or a combined PVR/DVDR, but those have only one Freeview tuner and are therefore less useful for timeshifting.
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post.
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote: »
    PVRs are for timeshifting, not storing programmes.

Then why bother with such large HDs?
    Some people like to store a series, then watch it all at once, one thing PVRs where/are supposed to be capable of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why bother with such large HDs?
    Some people like to store a series, then watch it all at once, one thing PVRs where/are supposed to be capable of.
    That's timeshifting.

I mean that PVRs aren't designed for storing programmes for six months or more, or keeping programmes 'just in case' you may want to watch them some time in the future. That's what DVD recorders are for.
    Forum Member
    That's timeshifting.

I mean that PVRs aren't designed for storing programmes for six months or more, or keeping programmes 'just in case' you may want to watch them some time in the future. That's what DVD recorders are for.

Then why supply them with such large HDs?

It is exactly what they are for, DVDRs will go the same way as VCRs, have gone, PVRs are to replace all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PVRs tend to have an upper limit on storage (how many programmes you can record). Therefore they're not intended for long term storage of many programmes because eventually you'll run out of room for new recordings. The bigger the disk, the longer it will take to run out of room but if you store programmes you like you'll still run out of room eventually.

It's either impossible or not recommended to add new storage to your PVR when you run out of space.

You can continually add new storage capacity to a DVDR library by buying new DVDRs.

Therefore PVRs are intended for recording programmes when they're on and keeping them until it's convenient for you to watch them, DVDRs are intended for archiving programmes to keep them 'forever'.

Although I think you're more interested in arguments than explanations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why supply them with such large HDs?

It is exactly what they are for, DVDRs will go the same way as VCRs, have gone, PVRs are to replace all.
    It doesn't take long to fill a 160 GB HD.

They're not suitable for permanent storage as (a) they have finite capacity and (b) there's no easy way to back them up in case of hardware failure or filing system corruption.

Separate media also enable playback on another device or loaning out.
    Forum Member
    It doesn't take long to fill a 160 GB HD.

They're not suitable for permanent storage as (a) they have finite capacity and (b) there's no easy way to back them up in case of hardware failure or filing system corruption.

Separate media also enable playback on another device or loaning out.

160Humax GB HD,(up to 100 hours),that is 12.5 8 hour days, then you need to watch them, so "saving" them is not unusual!

I have never said anything about them being "suitable for permanent storage ", and I have already said "there's no easy way to back them up in case of hardware failure or filing system corruption.", so you are now agreeing with me!

I agree with what you are saying about other storage facilities, (I have said as much myself on several occasions), my point was to contradict your statement, "I mean that PVRs aren't designed for storing programmes for six months or more, or keeping programmes 'just in case' you may want to watch them some time in the future.", when they obviously are, why for example does a 9300 have a 320GB HD capable of, "Tape-less record and playback (Max 200 hrs on 320GB hard drive", From Humax website http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Product.asp?ProdRef=10065&cat=Factory , 200 hours, that is over 8, 24 hour days!!, (or 25 8 hour days worth of recording),if they did not expect you to have the "saving" facility then why make the disc so big?

My point about the fallibility of PVRs against VCRs and DVDRs was "if the machine fails you do not lose your recordings like you would on a PVR", and a failure can happen with a PVR the day after recording, so the duration of saving a recording is irrelevant!

IMO Humax,(and probably other PVRs), are not the great piece of equipment they are cracked up to be, what with HD failure, freezing,, EPG probs etc, if they where, then there would be no reason for forums like this one, (where more help is available than from Humax), than attempting to contact Humax on their rip off premium rate revenue sharing number,(why should we pay a premium rate to call them to fix a manufacturing problem?).

Forum Member
    ears wrote: »
    Although I think you're more interested in arguments than explanations.

What a stupid statement, I disagree with some comments and put the other side, and I am being argumentative

I have never said I wanted to keep them forever, but I do not think it unreasonable to record a series lasting around 6-8 weeks with the intention of watching them altogether without the risk of the HD failing during that time, and as I* said above, the HD could fail the fay after a recording, not so a VCR OR DVDR recorder, but as they are on the way out the only way is PVRs with their unreliability factor.