9150T automatically changing source

dazbarberdazbarber Posts: 166
Forum Member
Hello!

I am a proud owner of a 9200T and have rarely had any problems.

My wife and I have just bought the inlaws a 9150T which they are getting to grips with. They also have Sky.

I have suggested that they press the 'source' button on the Humax remote to revert to Sky viewing (for football etc) and watch the rest through Humax.

They have reported to me over the phone that, when watching Sky, the picture intermittently reverts to Humax.

My first thought was that a Humax recording had started (not that my 9200 does this when watching a DVD by pressing the source button) but apparently it has been doing this when no recordings are due?

Any ideas before I go round tomorrow to investigate?

Thanks,

Daz

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazbarber wrote: »
    I have suggested that they press the 'source' button on the Humax remote to revert to Sky viewing (for football etc) and watch the rest through Humax.

They have reported to me over the phone that, when watching Sky, the picture intermittently reverts to Humax.

How have they got things connected?
  • dazbarberdazbarber Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    How have they got things connected?
    I basically replaced their old VCR with the Humax. So the Humax is connected via scart from the 'tv scart' at the back of the Humax. The Sky box is connected to another scart socket on the tv. I guess I should connect Sky to the video socket of the Humax really? In fact, is it a miracle that they can watch Sky by pressing the 'source' button on Humax? I'd not really thought about that - but it just worked! I still can't work out why the tv (or Humax) switches channel (source) apparently by itself!
    Daz
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    ...The Sky box is connected to another scart socket on the tv. I guess I should connect Sky to the video socket of the Humax really? In fact, is it a miracle that they can watch Sky by pressing the 'source' button on Humax? I'd not really thought about that - but it just worked! I still can't work out why the tv (or Humax) switches channel (source) apparently by itself!
    Daz
    Ahh. My first thought was aspect ratio switching on the Sky box, where the "grab" voltage on scart pin8 changes when 4x3 and 16x9 scenes transition. But I had dismissed that as I assumed the logical connection method and switching using PVR source button. In this case either re-wire so Sky>Humax, Humax>TV, alternatively use the input selection on the TV to choose Sky or PVR.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    Ahh. My first thought was aspect ratio switching on the Sky box, where the "grab" voltage on scart pin8 changes when 4x3 and 16x9 scenes transition. But I had dismissed that as I assumed the logical connection method and switching using PVR source button. In this case either re-wire so Sky>Humax, Humax>TV, alternatively use the input selection on the TV to choose Sky or PVR.
    As we don't have Sky+ so the Sky box is only required to be switched on when watching it live and we also use the Sky Remote Control to control the TV and the Sky box I simply switch the Sky box on to watch it an to standby otherwise.

Colin
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    . The Sky box is connected to another scart socket on the tv.

Many TVs only accept RGB on one scart input only. By using another you may only get CVBS (composite) on the other input. It's better to daisy chain as stated above:
    Sky TV out > Humax VCR: Humax TV > TV AV1
    Switching the Sky box on (out of standby) will make it take over automatically and you can also switch between the two using the "source" button on the Humax.
  • dazbarberdazbarber Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    JamesE wrote: »
    Many TVs only accept RGB on one scart input only. By using another you may only get CVBS (composite) on the other input. It's better to daisy chain as stated above:
    Sky TV out > Humax VCR: Humax TV > TV AV1
    Switching the Sky box on (out of standby) will make it take over automatically and you can also switch between the two using the "source" button on the Humax.
    Thanks for your help.
    I went round last night and had a look - in fact the Humax wasn't connected as expected but was connected to the VCR socket of the Sky box. I have now set it up as James suggested and it appears to work fine. I tried to disable the 'scart control' setting in the Sky box thinking that it may disable auto switching but when 'scart control' is set to off, Sky isn't available on the source button - it just switches back to tv.
    I didn't leave Sky running to see if any auto switching back to Humax occurred but I'm sure that I'll hear soon if this is the case.
    One other problem I had was a mix of channels from different transmitters causing missed recordings. I have carefully deleted and rescanned so that only 'London' transmitter channels are available. This seems to have done the trick.
    The only problem now is the in-laws' awful ITV mux reception. It's dreadful. I'll look into getting a signal booster today.
    Cheers,
    Daz
  • who10ukwho10uk Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I have a 9300 feeding into my DVD recorder which then connects into scart AV2 on the TV.

I have noticed that whenever the Widescreen flag changes on DTT, pin 8 is forcing the TV to change to AV2 (or as Panasonic would put it for auto switches EC2) from the currently viewed source - be that the TV tuner or Sky.

I had thought that the 'change to source' and 'widescreen' were at a different voltage on pin 8 so that the TV would only change to AV2 when the box was turned on but it seems that I can't stop it happening for the aspect changes.

It's VERY annoying but fortunately there are not that many changes in the aspect flag - alomst always does it at 15:00 during the week when no doubt the daily repeat of some old American trash finishes!

Of course if anyone on the forum can advise on a way to prevent it - I'd be a very happy man!:)