9150T and a Scart splitter

CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
Forum Member
Hi all. I treated myself to a 9150T last week and I really like it. The remote control is a bit big but I'll cope.

My tv only has one scart socket so I bought a scart splitter from the pound shop about 5 years ago when I bought a freeview box. I had the freeview and the DVD player in it and it's been fine.

When I got my Humax I just did a staight swop over and it was ok, but then next day the scart splitter needed a shake to make it work properly and then after that it broke completely.

So I got another one from Tesco and when you plug the DVD scart in, it reduces the picture quality on the Humax loads. Do you reckon that it's just the splitter or does the Humax need more oomph than a normal freeview box. I've still got the video player hooked up as well. I'm not ready to say goodbye to it yet and I like having the clock. Sad I know.
I don't use the DVD player that much so maybe I can just plug in when neccessary.

Comments

• Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Hi all. I treated myself to a 9150T last week and I really like it. The remote control is a bit big but I'll cope.

My tv only has one scart socket so I bought a scart splitter from the pound shop about 5 years ago when I bought a freeview box. I had the freeview and the DVD player in it and it's been fine.

When I got my Humax I just did a staight swop over and it was ok, but then next day the scart splitter needed a shake to make it work properly and then after that it broke completely.

So I got another one from Tesco and when you plug the DVD scart in, it reduces the picture quality on the Humax loads. Do you reckon that it's just the splitter or does the Humax need more oomph than a normal freeview box. I've still got the video player hooked up as well. I'm not ready to say goodbye to it yet and I like having the clock. Sad I know.
    I don't use the DVD player that much so maybe I can just plug in when neccessary.

I'm sure a SCART splitter shouldn't do that and certainly "oomph" shouldn't come into it. If your DVD player has two SCART sockets and will 'pass through' an RGB signal from its AV2 to AV1 SCART socket then you may be able the eliminate the SCART splitter all together by connecting the equipment like this:

VCR AV(probably)1 > Hummy VCR SCART.
    Hummy TV SCART > DVD AV2.
    DVD AV1 > Telly SCART.

I have my Hummy and DVD recorder connected like this and it works fine but I don't have my VCR connected anymore because my DVD recorder is a DVD VCR combi.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or connect DVD->Humax->TV.

This will work even if the DVD player has only one SCART.

(I'm pretty sure that the second SCART on the Humax will pass through RGB all right.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    Or connect DVD->Humax->TV.

This will work even if the DVD player has only one SCART.

(I'm pretty sure that the second SCART on the Humax will pass through RGB all right.)

But where is he going to connect his VCR?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    But where is he going to connect his VCR?
    He didn't say he had a VCR. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got the video player hooked up as well. I'm not ready to say goodbye to it yet and I like having the clock. Sad I know.

Maybe I'm wrong then but I thought this was his VCR. We'll have to wait until he comes back and tells us.
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Yes I still have my VCR connected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many SCARTs have the VCR and DVD player each?

I'm still in favour of daisy chaining everthing rather than using a splitter.
    Forum Member
    Both the VCR and the DVD player have 1 scart socket
  • rc.ukrc.uk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    If CLA29 doesn't mind, I have a related question.

I also have a 9150T and have another satellite receiver "daisy-chained" through it to the TV. I've noticed that when viewing the output from the satellite receiver, the picture has a pink-ish hue. I had exactly the same configuration with a Sky+ box before I got the 9150T and didn't notice this problem then.

Do you think it's the 9150T that's causing this or has the SCART lead connecting the receiver to the 9150T bust? If it's the former, would feeding them through a SCART splitter be the answer? If so, which is the best type to get? I've had cheapo ones before and they've darkened the picture when more than one device was plugged in, hence why I decided to daisy-chain in the first place.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    rc.uk wrote: »
    If CLA29 doesn't mind, I have a related question.

I also have a 9150T and have another satellite receiver "daisy-chained" through it to the TV. I've noticed that when viewing the output from the satellite receiver, the picture has a pink-ish hue. I had exactly the same configuration with a Sky+ box before I got the 9150T and didn't notice this problem then.

Do you think it's the T that's causing this or has the SCART lead connecting the receiver to the 9150T bust? If it's the former, would feeding them through a SCART splitter be the answer? If so, which is the best type to get? I've had cheapo ones before and they've darkened the picture when more than one device was plugged in, hence why I decided to daisy-chain in the first place.
    Why not first check the SCART lead feeding the 9150 by connecting it directly to the TV. If this works OK then suspect the 9150. But to prove that it was not simply disturbing the connections that cured the problem re-connect as before but with the locations of the two SCART leads reversed. Or if you have a spare SCART lead use that to replace the feed to the 9150.

Colin
  • rc.ukrc.uk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote: »
    Why not first check the SCART lead feeding the 9150 by connecting it directly to the TV. If this works OK then suspect the 9150. But to prove that it was not simply disturbing the connections that cured the problem re-connect as before but with the locations of the two SCART leads reversed. Or if you have a spare SCART lead use that to replace the feed to the 9150.

Colin

Thanks for your suggestions, creddish. I've done what you said and here are my findings:

1) I tried a different SCART lead and the picture still looked pink/saturated.

2) When connected directly to the TV by SCART lead, the output from the satellite receiver was absolutely fine.

From this, I've deduced that the satellite receiver and SCART lead are working correctly and that the problem seems to be caused by the 9150T.

Would it be best to connect both the satellite receiver and 9150T into a SCART splitter box? If so, so which type would be more effective? As I said earlier, several years ago I tried a cheap SCART splitter but was not satisfied with the results. Each time an additional piece of equipment was plugged into it, the picture quality of all the other connected equipment darkened. Ideally, I'd like a splitter that can cope with several pieces of equipment being connected to it without a noticeable drop in picture quality. If that isn't possible, I think I'd rather stick with the slight tinting I currently have.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Is the output of the satellite receiver set to RGB ?
    If with the setup:
    Satellite (scart1) > PVR (scart2); PVR (scart1) > TV (scart1)
    the satellite image is correct and in RGB, then neither scart cable can be faulty (confirm RGB by switching satellite receiver output between RGB and composite, you should notice a difference in image quality).

Also try switching the PVR output from RGB to composite.

As a further comparison, try the BBC widescreen testcard on the PVR. That can be displayed by (edit) the procedure
    in the next post by Big-les.

If that all checks out it sounds as if the PVR has a poor internal connection to the Green pin of the scart RGB, ie. it's faulty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    Is the output of the satellite receiver set to RGB ?
    If with the setup:
    Satellite (scart1) > PVR (scart2); PVR (scart1) > TV (scart1)
    the satellite image is correct and in RGB, then neither scart cable can be faulty (confirm RGB by switching satellite receiver output between RGB and composite, you should notice a difference in image quality).

Also try switching the PVR output from RGB to composite.

As a further comparison, try the BBC widescreen testcard on the PVR. That can be displayed by
    If that all checks out it sounds as if the PVR has a poor internal connection to the Green pin of the scart RGB, ie. it's faulty.

It was slighty different at the end when I tried it a few weeks ago.

1. Tune to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
    2. When the BBCi background appears, press Yellow (within 30 secs)
    3. Tune away to a different channel
    4. Tune back to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
    5. When the BBCi background appears, press Green (within 30 secs)
    6. Press Green to select the test card.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Big-les wrote: »
    It was slighty different at the end when I tried it a few weeks ago.
    I copied the procedure from an earlier implementation where step 7 involved entering a sequence of numbers. BBCi then updated the status page to include a direct jump to the testcard so I cobbled the change into the quoted text. Edited to refer to yours :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    I copied the procedure from an earlier implementation where step 7 involved entering a sequence of numbers. BBCi then updated the status page to include a direct jump to the testcard so I cobbled the change into the quoted text. Edited to refer to yours :o

Yes these are the instructions I first saw about two years ago posted by Highwire on another section of the forum. As you say a sequence of numbers and I'd forgotten about the coloured buttons. I think you had to stand on one leg and point the remote over your left shoulder as well. Seriously though I remember it didn't always work on the 9200, sometimes you got a zoomed testcard.

1. Tune to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
    2. When the BBCi background appears, press Yellow (within 30 secs)
    3. Tune away to a different channel
    4. Tune back to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
    5. When the BBCi background appears, press Green (within 30 secs)
    The word 'Secret' will appear in the top right hand corner
    6. Wait until the status page appears
    7. Enter 3, 3, 5, 8, 2, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
    (note "33582" spells out the word "DELTA" on a mobile phone keypad)
    8. Wait approximately 30 seconds
    Test card W will appear
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    rc.uk wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestions, creddish. I've done what you said and here are my findings:

1) I tried a different SCART lead and the picture still looked pink/saturated.

2) When connected directly to the TV by SCART lead, the output from the satellite receiver was absolutely fine.

From this, I've deduced that the satellite receiver and SCART lead are working correctly and that the problem seems to be caused by the 9150T.

Would it be best to connect both the satellite receiver and 9150T into a SCART splitter box? If so, so which type would be more effective? As I said earlier, several years ago I tried a cheap SCART splitter but was not satisfied with the results. Each time an additional piece of equipment was plugged into it, the picture quality of all the other connected equipment darkened. Ideally, I'd like a splitter that can cope with several pieces of equipment being connected to it without a noticeable drop in picture quality. If that isn't possible, I think I'd rather stick with the slight tinting I currently have.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.
    Personally I would try and avoid using a splitter if possible. I suggest you try the tests suggested by nvingo and Big-les. If this proves the 9150 is causing the problem then you could if possible connect the 9150 at the start of a daisy chain so you don't feed anything through it. If this can't be done then a splitter is the last resort.

Colin
  • Alan_TAlan_T Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Did CLA29 solve his problem? I agree that daisy-chaining SCARTs from DVD through Humax to TV should be best (but beware the limitation of Humax's low-power standby mode).

Surely the VCR has a UHF modulator and I doubt if a VCR with only one SCART has NICAM stereo, let alone S-VHS, so the loss by using a RF loopthrough should be negligible.

Cheers, Alan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a pity and does reduce your options somewhat.

I don't have any experience of these SCART 'splitters'. Or are they 'combiners'? Are they switchable? (I'm a daisychaining man myself - ooer missis ;):D)

You could attach either the VCR or the DVD player to the second (VCR) SCART of the Humax and then connect the other device via the 'splitter'.

If you connect the VCR to the Humax you could record from the Humax to the VCR to make a permanent record of programmes (if you want) as well as playing back 'through' the Humax.

I think maybe the Tesco 'splitter' is defective or poor quality.
    Forum Member
    Not solved yet but cheers for asking.
    The VCR is connected to the second scart socket at the moment