PVR-9200T Downloading Video files to a PC Problem

P1 MFPP1 MFP Posts: 58
Forum Member
On several occasions I have attempted to do this and I can only download short recordings of up to about 10 minutes in duration. Anything longer and the Humax and PC disconnect. I have tried different PC/laptop and different USB cables with no improvement.

I, therefore, assume that it is the Humax. Is there a particular state/condition that the PVR should be put into when attempting to transfer recordings?

I have always just connected the cables, powered up the PVR then "connected" the Humax to the PC using the E-linker software, switched to the list of programmes on the pc, selected a recording to transfer and then clicked on the "Transfer file" icon.

I realy need to do this as my humax lost all programmes from the list of recordings and I had to re-format. In future I would like to be able to back up any "keepers".

Thanks in antisipation.

MFP

Comments

• nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Try Humax Media Controller (Dos console alternative to eLinker) as this automatically retries transferring if failed, and has configurable transfer protocol options.
    Also (with Humax firmware v1.00.21, current) I - and many others - recommend selecting the "games" menu on the PVR prior to transfers, the PVR stops doing some other things which seem incompatible with transferring.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P1 MFP wrote: »
    I, therefore, assume that it is the Humax. Is there a particular state/condition that the PVR should be put into when attempting to transfer recordings?

The use of the Games technique with e-linker reduced my failures drastically.

Additionally with the Games technique you should also get close to USB 1.1 transfer speed. Still slow compared to using humaxrw but comparable to other makes that I own.

Remember to take it out of games mode afterwards as it may miss starting scheduled recordings.
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Hi, this may be a red herring, but it is something that fooled me a few years ago when I started editing my own movies. I found that moving anything but short recordings from the camcorder to the PC crashed. The reason was that my hard drive was not formatted as NTFS. Because of that, files of much more than 3GB were too big and it all died without giving a hint of what was wrong.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Ten minutes of video in .ts format from a Humax is likely to be 400MB at the very most, even on BBCONE, and about 150MB on a channel like Five.
    It would need about 2hours on a BBC channel to approach the 4GB limit for FAT32 systems.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Transfers always achieved USB2 Full Speed ... :D
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Additionally with the Games technique you should also get close to USB 1.1 transfer speed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wgmorg wrote: »
    Transfers always achieved USB2 Full Speed ... :D

Me thinks you are using a direct transfer with Humaxrw or HumaxReadFiles. I get that speed too when I use Humaxrw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I recently backed up some programmes, using Media eLinker, having not done so for nearly a year. Using my laptop I remembered to use mains power, switch off power saving features and screen saver etc., put the 9200T on the games menu - and still had failures after 30 mins or so. The most annoying was a failure about 80% in on a 2GB transfer.

The I remembered the next trick - changing the priority the OS (Vista 32 bit) gives the application. Under XP, I think it was possible to set 'real time' but Vista only permits High.

From then on all the transfers worked flawlessly with very little rubbish for Project X to sort out.

(To change the application priority, start Task Manager, on the application - Media eLinker - right click and 'Go To Process'. On the appropriate process, Media eLinker.exe, right click and choose 'Set Priority'.)
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me thinks you are using a direct transfer with Humaxrw or HumaxReadFiles. I get that speed too when I use Humaxrw.

I think you are getting confused between USB Full Speed (12Mb/s) and Hi speed (480Mb/s).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are getting confused between USB Full Speed (12Mb/s) and Hi speed (480Mb/s).

Thanks. But only because wgmorg used a different name for what I was attempting to imply so erroneously thought he meant he was getting faster rates.

Admittedly wgmorg's terminology of "USB2 full speed" for 12Mb/s is better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aps2011 wrote: »
    The I remembered the next trick - changing the priority the OS (Vista 32 bit) gives the application. Under XP, I think it was possible to set 'real time' but Vista only permits High.

From then on all the transfers worked flawlessly with very little rubbish for Project X to sort out.

Does that mean that if a programme is extracted successfully twice, once with priority ramped up and the other as the default, that the version extracted with the higher priority will have less errors in it?
  • P1 MFPP1 MFP Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    Try Humax Media Controller (Dos console alternative to eLinker) as this automatically retries transferring if failed, and has configurable transfer protocol options.
    Also (with Humax firmware v1.00.21, current) I - and many others - recommend selecting the "games" menu on the PVR prior to transfers, the PVR stops doing some other things which seem incompatible with transferring.

Thanks for these two tips. I will first try the "Games" option and have downloaded a copy of the Humax Media Controller V1.05 to try if I have no success.

Also, thanks to the rest of you that have since added similar tips.

M.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Does that mean that if a programme is extracted successfully twice, once with priority ramped up and the other as the default, that the version extracted with the higher priority will have less errors in it?

Not necessarily; I've very rarely had problems with errors in the transferred file. The higher priority helps avoid those annoying occasions when the 'receiver disconnected' during the transfer. It does seem that the (driver) software is very sensitive to timing.