James Corden? Is it April 1st?

2»

Comments

• Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    So he get's honoured just for doing his job ?

No, he gets honoured for doing his job exceedingly well; better than many others.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he gets honoured for doing his job exceedingly well; better than many others.

Plus all of the charity work he does and the money he helps to raise. You shouldn't get a gong for just being a celebrity but for using that fame to do good deeds.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    He's off to host The Late Late Show on CBS in the US, so we probably won't see him again for a while.

He's in the film version of the musical "Into the Woods" which is released in the UK soon.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Plus all of the charity work he does and the money he helps to raise. You shouldn't get a gong for just being a celebrity but for using that fame to do good deeds.

So it doesn't matter how many good deeds you do, you still have to be a celebrity.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The awards are Order of or Member of British Empire
    Empire, we haven't had an empire for donkeys years. These awards should go the same way
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

So it doesn't matter how many good deeds you do, you still have to be a celebrity.

There are many people on the honours lists who aren't celebrities but they don't get the media attention because ..er... they aren't celebrities.
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year's list really is a joke. Sheridan Smith has got one along with Joan Collins. Adele was a joke last year. They're just trying to get 'trendy' people that the country has heard of.

BTW David Tennant better actor that Corden

Popbitch said he turned one down last year.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    There are many people on the honours lists who aren't celebrities but they don't get the media attention because ..er... they aren't celebrities.

Are you referring to time serving civil servants?
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mates daughter this year managed to Captain the Scottish Commonwealth Team, win a silver medal at the games for which she was the "image", then go on to win European Gold.

She got bugger all.

elidh will get something if she wins a big medal at eityther the olympics or the world champs
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Honours have turned a corner socially. Accepting one marks you out as being a self-absorbed "friend of the establishment".

Maybe it's partially the Jimmy Savile thing. But also the usual gradual social change, what was ok for the previous generation can suddenly become wrong and icky.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who decides whether he does it better than others? Can't say he's exceptional. I'd say he's average.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who decides whether he does it better than others? Can't say he's exceptional. I'd say he's average.

He is good for the environment. If his face appears on TV, I turn it off to lower my CO2 footprint.

Next year I am nominating: Stephen Fry, Jeremy driving idiot, Jonathon Ross and Russell (man of the rich people) Brand.:D
  • daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I gave up on the honours systems when dumb dumb Kelly Holmes got a damehood. And when she won Sports personality of the year without having a personality whatsoever.