Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    be it as it may, that's beside the point, isn't it?

attributing can be done with direct AND indirect quotes, lolz!!:eek:

that's why looking for actual quotation marks in this person's case is both pointless and for a lack of a better word, "infantile?"...:eek:

i draw the line in linking a journalist handbook though i'm quite tempted and my motto is "always give in" lolz!!...:D
    There's something quite disturbing about your posts, the way you respond at least twice to every point and constantly play to some imagined audience. Possibly you are older than 15 but you certainly don't demonstrate that in your posts.

You quite clearly read it the way you wanted to and repeated it on here without bothering to think it through, so just cut the crap and admit when you are wrong.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Some posts from this thread have been deleted...
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some posts from this thread have been deleted...

They have. Glad the mods have got an eye on this thread now.:)
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    There's something quite disturbing about your posts, the way you respond at least twice to every point and constantly play to some imagined audience. Possibly you are older than 15 but you certainly don't demonstrate that in your posts.

You quite clearly read it the way you wanted to and repeated it on here without bothering to think it through, so just cut the crap and admit when you are wrong.

The journalist provides attribution for all direct and indirect quotes and paraphrased information and statements. Quotation marks are used even if only a word or phrase of a statement is used. Journalists attribute to specific individuals, organizations or sources and do not create composite sources.

Both direct quotations and paraphrases require attribution. A good paraphrase expresses the ideas found in the source (for which credit is always given) but not in the same words. It preserves the sense, but not the form, of the original. It does not retain the sentence patterns and merely substitute synonyms for the original words, nor does it retain the original words and merely alter the sentence patterns. It is a genuine restatement. It is briefer than its source. (Floyd D. Watkins and William B. Dillingham, Practical English Handbook, 9th ed. (Boston, 1992), pp. 357-358.)

Sico: i totally agree, and we had this conversation about 2 or 3 years ago where if i were being honest with you with the exception of leona lewis i was getting nervous and i thought if we don't find real stars on these shows after all the razzmatazz all the promises all the hype and you end up with somebody who's gonna put out a single and go away it's a waste of time, a waste of my time, a waste of everyone's time, but on my last year on x factor i put a lot of effort into that and we came away with one direction, rebecca ferguson and one direction now no1 in 30 countries that's when you.. makes you realise it's worth making these shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    They have. Glad the mods have got an eye on this thread now.:)

Lolz!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lolz-a-minute (second?)::D:p

How To Stalk One Direction (in America) Vid:eek:

http://gotta-be-you-one-direction.tumblr.com/post/23400143838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    Both direct quotations and paraphrases require attribution. A good paraphrase expresses the ideas found in the source (for which credit is always given) but not in the same words. It preserves the sense, but not the form, of the original. It does not retain the sentence patterns and merely substitute synonyms for the original words, nor does it retain the original words and merely alter the sentence patterns. It is a genuine restatement. It is briefer than its source. (Floyd D. Watkins and William B. Dillingham, Practical English Handbook, 9th ed. (Boston, 1992), pp. 357-358.)
    Yes...
    par·a·phrase (pr-frz)
    n.
    1. A restatement of a text or passage in another form or other words, often to clarify meaning.
    2. The restatement of texts in other words as a studying or teaching device.

I missed the part that said, "completely change the meaning to generate an eye catching wholly untrue headline". :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is a mess.

Half of it should be in the appreciation thread and the other half is just the same argument going round in circles ad nauseam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    This thread is a mess.

Half of it should be in the appreciation thread and the other half is just the same argument going round in circles ad nauseam.
    I think you'll find it's more than half...
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find it's more than half...

So?

Like I have said before since the boys have been on promotion in the US and other countries we post all the goings on in this thread. Why is this such an issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So?

Like I have said before since the boys have been on promotion in the US and other countries we post all the goings on in this thread. Why is this such an issue?

..because it bugs them.:rolleyes:
    Anyway the boys are back in the states this week, we will have more posts about how they are cracking America.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So?

It's an issue because this is not an appreaciation thread, it is not in the appreciation section and you behave like a nest of bloody wasps every time anyone tries to contribute comment not in tune with your views...
    Forum Member
    It's an issue because this is not an appreaciation thread, it is not in the appreciation section and you behave like a nest of bloody wasps every time anyone tries to contribute comment not in tune with your views...

Whatever, keep posting about a group you clearly do not like. At least the page numbers are increasing ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever, keep posting about a group you clearly do not like.
    So now people should only comment on the things they like?

Isn't that what defines an "appreciation thread"... :confused:
    Forum Member
    So now people should only comment on the things they like?

Isn't that what defines an "appreciation thread"... :confused:

That's not what I meant, you and other posters nitpicking all things 1D. But if it makes you happy carry on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not what I meant, you and other posters nitpicking all things 1D. But if it makes you happy carry on.
    I think you'll find I rarely mention them, and most my recent discussion in this thread has been with regard to what was quite clearly a blatant lie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is not an appreciation thread. The question posed by the OP was "will 1D crack America?". This was before they went stateside and as we all know, the Americans went crazy for them.

Even though you refuse to accept the fact that they have indeed cracked America, a lot of people, including non fans are big enough to admit that they have. Since we've established that, the posts have been related to how they did it and what they are doing in America at the moment. It's actually quite educational if you think about it. :D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though you refuse to accept the fact that they have indeed cracked America, a lot of people, including non fans are big enough to admit that they have. Since we've established that, the posts have been related to how they did it and what they are doing in America at the moment. It's actually quite educational if you think about it. :D:cool:
    Whilst they have no doubt had an amazing start it's all happened over a relatively short space of time and personally I would look for a bit more in the way of longevity before making that claim...

I do wonder what it means with regard to the chances of future entrants in the US version of X-Factor. Will they risk a home grown boy-band winning any time soon and possibly splitting loyalties for instance?
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst they have no doubt had an amazing start it's all happened over a relatively short space of time and personally I would look for a bit more in the way of longevity before making that claim...

I do wonder what it means with regard to the chances of future entrants in the US version of X-Factor. Will they risk a home grown boy-band winning any time soon and possibly splitting loyalties for instance?

I am damm sure they will. Simon has even mentioned looking for another 1D in an interview. It may split loyalties but Justin Beiber is still going strong with many young fans liking both him and 1D so only time will tell.

As regards longevity. How long is piece of string. Do we wait 5yrs and then declare them a success in the States? They have certainly surpassed what success i thought they would have and for an X Factor act too put together by Cowell. 2 big disadvantages right there for starters :D

No one can predict the future . Who would have thought the Beatles or Stones would have lasted as long as they did and I was around back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As Twingle said we will have to wait to see how long it all lasts. With regards to a home grown boyband in the States, you need to understand that one of the things that appeal to the fans in America is the fact that the boys are British/Irish.

They've had their BSB, Nsync and NKOTB. They also have Big Time Rush who are very similar to the past Boybands, but are a lot less successful, so a home grown boyband wouldn't really be that much of a threat.
    If they can have this much success with Bieber still at the top of his game, then I can't envisage any problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find I rarely mention them, and most my recent discussion in this thread has been with regard to what was quite clearly a blatant lie.

What was a lie?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was a lie?:confused:
    Read the posts...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Twingle said we will have to wait to see how long it all lasts. With regards to a home grown boyband in the States, you need to understand that one of the things that appeal to the fans in America is the fact that the boys are British/Irish..
    Yes that could certainly be part of the appeal, but TBH I don't know how much of the whole "Americans love all things British" thing is just propaganda and how much is real...

They've had their BSB, Nsync and NKOTB. They also have Big Time Rush who are very similar to the past Boybands, but are a lot less successful, so a home grown boyband wouldn't really be that much of a threat..
    I'm not sure you can say that unless you know exactly what the formula is...
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read the posts...

delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    delete
    I'm not sure what has been deleted in this thread but nothing of relevance as far as I can tell..