Apple shaped Ladies and the difficulty in finding flattering clothes

chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
Forum Member
I don't have an hourglass figure.
I have slim legs, arms and shoulders, but I have large boobs and a tummy. I am also quite tall.

But I am sick and tired of only being able to find clothes that are

1 see through so that I have to always wear a camisole under things,
2 short in the body so they 'cut me in half' and make me look fat.
3 short sleeved or three quarter sleeved
4 Wrapover style, smock style or empire line so they emphasise the tummy rather than hide it
5 wide in the leg because there is some law that says if you have a tummy you must also have huge thighs.

Tailored/structured style tops that are long enough to fall just below the backside/tummy are the best styles for me.

Those styles accentuate the boobs, slim arms and slim legs but hide the round tummy.

So where are they all?

I'm fed up, I am.

Anyone else?
I keep seeing these telly Ads for Evans, Marisota, IsMe, Simply Be, La Redoute, Kaliedoscope etc that purport to sell clothes for real women.
But when I look at their stock all I see is wrapover style stuff, see through stuff, short sleeved stuff and short bodied stuff.

I recently went to a posh clothes shop and they had some lovely tops in with zip fronts and nice prints etc - but all of them were short in the body.
Great if you are an hourglass shape.
But not if you are an apple.

Wallis' website says apple shapes should wear wrapover styles - but I disagree. That style makes people like me look pregnant!

I hate them!

:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sympathise. The biggest problem for me is finding trousers that fit, because I have slim thighs like you but a big waistline, as all my weight goes on my stomach. Any trousers that fit around my waist are like circus tents on my legs. For that reason I mostly wear leggings which are form fitting on the legs, and then look for long tops to hide my waist. I had terrible experiences with ordering online from Yours and similar, the clothes were often completely unflattering and the sizing was totally off.

I have had most luck with Rogers & Rogers, Matalan's plus size line, and strangely enough in Asda. Asda do some great long tops but considering the poor quality you can't expect them to last too long, after a few months of frequent washing the material starts to look shabby. R&R are better quality but the smaller sizes sell out fast, so often I can't find anything near my 18 waistline and all that's left is sizes 26-30.

What I look for:
    - Flowy material, definitely nothing stretchy or too synthetic. Yours are terrible for that.

- Tops that fall below my backside but above the knee.

- Plain material, as little pattern as possible

- No empire line, makes me look pregnant

I would love to hear of other places I can get nice long tops!
  • chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean about trousers.
    Especially jeans.
    If I buy a pair that fit on the waist, the legs are too wide.
    If I buy a pair that fit my legs, I can't fasten them.
    However I have found my own little solution to that problem.

If they fit my legs great I take them to my local Alterations lady. She removes the waist band, extends it a wee bit and puts in a small triangular shaped panel and then puts the extended waistband back on.
    She has so many remnants of fabric left over from stuff she's taken in for other customers, she always manages to find a close match.
    And because I wear long tops and a belt in my trousers, you can never see the little panel anyway.

If they fit my waist but are too wide in the leg - I have them taken in.

It works so well, that trousers are no longer a problem for me.

Perhaps you could try this solution? I bet there's a good seamstress near you.

Might be worth a try.

I find that Asda stuff is poor quality as you say.
    But I haven't looked at R&R. I will google that now. Thanks.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought getting them altered would be a bit pricey? I don't have a lot to spend on clothes which is why I so often end up at Asda or Matalan!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Bravissimo they do clothing for women with boobs, big boobs and large boobs.
    Forum Member
    I've always thought getting them altered would be a bit pricey? I don't have a lot to spend on clothes which is why I so often end up at Asda or Matalan!

Well, if the legs need taking in, I do that myself, so it isn't pricey.
    And the little bit of magic the seamstress does with the waistband extension and little triangle panel costs me £7.99.

I tried doing it myself but made a big mess, so I figured it was worth the £7.99.
    Forum Member
    Have you tried Bravissimo they do clothing for women with boobs, big boobs and large boobs.

Yes, thanks, but they like most others assume that if you have big boobs you have a waist that cinches in and large hips and thighs..

Us apple shapes don't have that. So their clothes tend to emphasise a round tummy and make us look pregnant.

Quite often I think I must be the only apple shaped woman in the world.

Having said that, I was scouring online last night and found a nice looking black blouse on the Wallis website. It looks like it might be the right cut.
    I've ordered it and am hoping it will be ok.
    Forum Member
    http://www.fashionworld.co.uk/shop/

this company have been advertising on telly lately so I just checked them out.
    They seem to be trying to cater for shapes like us.

For instance there is a basic shirt shaped blouse that comes in loads of sizes but it is also sub sized for different cup sized boobs. Good idea.
    Mixed prices to suit all budgets, too.
    They also have some jeans that look slim on the legs but have a tummy flattening panel and/or elastic at the waist.
    If you don't wear your shirts tucked in no one would know about the elastic.
    I've ordered a catalogue to check them out.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Tops are always too short on me and if I get them to fit my boobs they are too baggy everywhere else and still too short. For some reason shops seem to think everyone has the same length torso as well. I go to Bravissimo/Pepperberry but I find a lot of their tops are empire line and I don't want a seam under my bust it just makes it look bigger and I don't want to draw attention to my big boobs. The top that makes me look the slimmest is one of Bravissimo's old tops that has no underbust seam, no seam around the boobs it is just a vest top with extra boob space. That is all I want to be honest.
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    Tops are always too short on me and if I get them to fit my boobs they are too baggy everywhere else and still too short. For some reason shops seem to think everyone has the same length torso as well. I go to Bravissimo/Pepperberry but I find a lot of their tops are empire line and I don't want a seam under my bust it just makes it look bigger and I don't want to draw attention to my big boobs. The top that makes me look the slimmest is one of Bravissimo's old tops that has no underbust seam, no seam around the boobs it is just a vest top with extra boob space. That is all I want to be honest.

Some of those fashionworld tops have extra boob space but are normal sized everywhere else. I just ordered a plain black blouse/shirt in my usual size but for D and DD cup.
    They have the same blouse with e, F, G and H cup size too.

Most of these 'designers' just think Empire line and wrapover are the solution for anyone over a size 16.
    They aren't.

And V neck tops are good for us big boobies - but there seem to be more scoop necks around than V necks.

And those smock fronted things don't hide a rounded tummy, they make it look like a pregnancy bump.

There used to be a company called Elvi. They were perfect if a little 'classic' but they decided to bring in Trinny and Susannah to 'trendy things up.'
    Out went the tops shaped and cut perfectly for us Apples and in came the short bodied, see through, short sleeved rags.
    No surprise, Elvi went bankrupt.

They have started trading again but their stuff isn't like it was before Trinny & Susannah came in and ruined everything.
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a couple of good things from a company called Bon Prix. Tops come down to about your bum and cover everything that needs covering without you feeling you're wearing a tent. They do a good line in basics.

Not sure what others think of this but I have got lots of stuff from ebay. Can be a pain sifting through stuff but can get great finds.
    Forum Member
    tarotangel wrote: »
    I've had a couple of good things from a company called Bon Prix. Tops come down to about your bum and cover everything that needs covering without you feeling you're wearing a tent. They do a good line in basics.

Not sure what others think of this but I have got lots of stuff from ebay. Can be a pain sifting through stuff but can get great finds.

That's a new name on me.
    Will google them and have a look.

Thanks!!
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dorothy Perkins is the answer to your problem. They have loads of sleeveless shirts that fall to just beneath the belly and bum, but cut a little higher on the side to make you look slimmer. I have a big belly thanks to an operation I had on my stomach and DP has been a lifesaver. All their clothes fit a treat. Their jeggings are particularly good, i'm sure anyone with a belly will know the horror of having their stomach 'cut in half' by jeans, DP jeggings are soft and accomodate a large tum whilst still looking like jeans.

I have also been known to venture into New Look maternity from time to time. I don't have a belly THAT big but the extra material and cut of some maternity tops means that the clothes just flow over your figure and looks nice.
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not alone, I'm one. I hate having to wear tops that come above my crotch/bum and at the moment there is a real 80's fashion going on with short wide tops everywhere, which drives me crackers. I'm only 5 foot so I just look squat with a short wide top on.

I find very little that flatters an apple shape. I agree that wrap over and empire line are not good.

Sometimes I find the right cut of tunic works. In particular my works tunic (I'm a nail techn) fits beautifully. It's softly tailored and scoops in and out in the right places.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Another apple shape here who really struggles to find clothes which fit well.

Jeans are a nightmare....and I agree wrap overs do not work for me.

I have slim legs/thighs and hips but have a tummy and very big boobs. I have to buy size 20 tops to fit around my boobs but then they are far too big in the arms/shoulders. Apart from my tummy and my boobs I am quite petite and only 5foot 1in tall. But they don't seem to do petite sizes above 14/16. :eek:

I have taken note of the stores already mentioned but does anyone know of others which cater for us forgotton apple shapes.

Btw I love dresses but unable to wear them...those that fit across my boobs are like a tent around my hips/thighs.

I sometimes despair of finding clothes which fit well.:(
    Forum Member
    I am relieved to hear that I am not alone - but not relieved that none of us have found a complete solution.

The Dorothy Perkins tops may well be long-ish cut, but many are see through and sleeveless or even three quarter sleeved.

So even they aren't perfect - but I think they are worth a look. And their jeans can be good too.
    Forum Member
    I got that Fashion World catalogue that was advertising on telly.

And I've ordered a top from there.
    Its black, long sleeved with a nice cuff, a nicely cut V neckline and the top skims past the tummy and is long enough to hide the tummy as well.
    Its a nice soft jersey but doesn't cling.

I'm rather pleased with it.
    Forum Member
    You're not alone, I'm one. I hate having to wear tops that come above my crotch/bum and at the moment there is a real 80's fashion going on with short wide tops everywhere, which drives me crackers. I'm only 5 foot so I just look squat with a short wide top on.

I find very little that flatters an apple shape. I agree that wrap over and empire line are not good.

Sometimes I find the right cut of tunic works. In particular my works tunic (I'm a nail techn) fits beautifully. It's softly tailored and scoops in and out in the right places.

Yep - tailored/structured things are flattering for us Apples - but no one seems to be making tops like this - well, they are but they are usually too short in the body and cut across the tummy which emphasises our tummy rather than hides it.

I see loads of jacket type tops that I like but they are so short they look like they have shrunk in the wash!

Great if you have a shape and height like Zoe Ball but not so for us lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I will be honest and say us pear/hourglass have problems with clothes too.

For me I have a very very small waist compared to my huge hips/bum so it's virtually impossible to find trousers to fit unless I want to wear an elasticated waist! My arms are big too so I can never wear a sleeveless top....out comes my cardigan again to hide them:cry:. I need to wear trousers or a very long skirt to hide my legs.....I would love to be an apple shape so I could wear a short skirt and a sleeveless top. My only small part is my waist but if I try and show that off then it just highlights the rest of me:o