A seriously ill work colleague

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
Gradually he's been getting thinner and thinner in the face and body and complaining about feeling tired all the time - I've been saying for about 2 months for him to go to the Dr to get checked out - but he won't in case it's something serious!! FFS!!!
Anyway I've been off for the last 2 weeks - I was shocked by his gaunt appearance and now he's grown a pot belly and his voice is frail. Again I told him to go - he has diagnosed himself with water retension! and is taking pills for that.
I told my manager who then told the boss....he had a word with him about having time off but he refuses to acknowledge it.....very concerned :(

Comments

• Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and you want the armchair doctors here to diagnose this?
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how much you can do OP, other than suggest he goes to the doctor as you have already. It must be very concerning for you though.

It may be something serious, or something far easier to treat such as a food intolerance. My ex BIL became intolerant to wheat and lost a lot of weight very quickly. After diagnosis, he changed his diet and put back on some of the weight he'd lost. :)
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF this person has, and I'm sure this has gone through your mind, something like cancer, it may be that they know and have decided not to tell their colleagues. It could also be the case that your bosses know this, and have been asked to keep it private. That needs to be respected, although obviously if their appearance has changed so much people will inevitably start to ask questions.

You cannot know, unless the person tells you, so I would advise caution.

In practical terms, you have voiced your concern to the person concerned, and, unless you are a personal friend, I would now leave them be.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is he?

You cannot make him go, although it sounds like it could be serious.

Speaking as someone who has just recovered from a serious illness, he should really get to the doctors, I would be dead if I had not gone.

I think its quite a common thing though, people don't want to face it and would rather carry on until they can no longer, not a good idea.

If he goes to the doctors and it is serious, he will be treated and made comfortable what ever it is, and if he can be made better it will only be a short term suffering for long term gain.

On the other hand it might not be serious at all. Although from what you describe it does sound serious.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    IF this person has, and I'm sure this has gone through your mind, something like cancer, it may be that they know and have decided not to tell their colleagues. It could also be the case that your bosses know this, and have been asked to keep it private. That needs to be respected, although obviously if their appearance has changed so much people will inevitably start to ask questions.

You cannot know, unless the person tells you, so I would advise caution.

In practical terms, you have voiced your concern to the person concerned, and, unless you are a personal friend, I would now leave them be.

I was thinking something similar. You must respect your workmates privacy. You have offered help and can do no more.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    His line manager can make a referral to occupational health if they feel that there is a duty of care element.

Our firm retained a private doctor for use occasionally when there was concern about someone's health. It may have been used most often where someone had a lot of days off sick, just to make sure that there was a genuine illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having suffered from this in the past, by any chance is he constantly tired and get pains in his mussels\joint, cramp like pain etc?. If so he may be suffering from an overactive thyroid. As that's what I had and despite a few doctors visits it took several months and 3 bloods tests to be diagnosed with it. Lost about 4 stone in less than 6 months despite no loss of appetite.

Not saying that's what they have, just a possibility and either way someone needs to get them the doctor.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Do you know anyone in his family or a close friend of his, someone you could ask to intervene and encourage him to get some medical advice?

On the other hand, maybe he is seriously ill, and knows the diagnosis but is currently in denial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be daft.

It's obvious what advice the op is asking for.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the OP was asking that I'd agree with you 100%.
    Most of the "medical advice" threads have uninformed replies (as has this one already).
    The OP is simply asking for advice on how to encourage a colleague to get checked out.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I asked him again when we were alone in the staff room - he's made an appointment for tomorrow thankfully....
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I asked him again when we were alone in the staff room - he's made an appointment for tomorrow thankfully....

That is good, I was suffering for a couple of months with feeling tired, it was only when I had pain and fell ill at work that I went to the Doctor.
    I should have acted earlier and if I did I may not be on chemo now, but it happens. thankfully, my cancer was still caught earlyu enough, one operation and a few does of chemo and hopefully I will be back to normal.

But yes I can understand why some people do not bother going to the Doctors, they do not want to know what is wrong with them. I hope they sort him out and it is not as serious as it look.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...uninformed replies (as has this one already).

Really? I can't see any (except the one you replied to, which was uninformed by any actual proper reading of the original post...).

Glad OP's colleague is off to the doc's.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us know how he gets on tomorrow please. It sounds like it's serious. I had an uncle like that who wouldn't go to the doctors even though he was obviously ill. I'm the end he was in So much pain that he had to and by then it was too late to do anything and he died a few months later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming potentially unpleasant news, I would ask you NOT to report back. Someone else's health issues are private unless otherwise instructed, and I'd wager that if you asked this individual, they would not give you permission to post about them here.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Assuming potentially unpleasant news, I would ask you NOT to report back. Someone else's health issues are private unless otherwise instructed, and I'd wager that if you asked this individual, they would not give you permission to post about them here.

As no-one knows who I am or who he is - it matters not. Whatever the news - I shall post here if I feel like it - I suggest you don't open this thread again:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As no-one knows who I am or who he is - it matters not. Whatever the news - I shall post here if I feel like it - I suggest you don't open this thread again:)

Of course you shall (and I will read the thread if I choose, being concerned for the privacy of the person concerned and not my own sensibilities). However, my suggestion was purely that, a suggestion, and one which I think has merit (I have an interest, you see, but that is a private matter). I wasn't having a go.

You disagree with me, which is your choice.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

He, or his family, might read the forum though, and could possibly recognise the person described, from the information you've given. I appreciate it's all anonymous though, and that scenario is unlikely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Thanks for being a caring soul. There's a lot of people in the world who aren't.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people would feel betrayed if their private personal lives were presented on a forum.

Guess what, it matters not at all if a person can be identified. The sense of betrayal is the same. If they find out of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Rubbish. I wouldn't give a toss if a work colleague came up to me and said "I was worried about you and I ended up posting anonymously on a forum - I can't be identified, you can't be identified and the forum really didn't have much to say on the matter, except for the usual comments about how anything medical really should not be on the forum. Oh and one person suggested I shouldn't have posted anonymously about you".

Given that I post all sorts on here myself I wouldn't be remotely interested or bothered about what anyone else posts. I'm sure people talk about me at work from time to time - we all do - I can't see the difference on a forum. It's permanent but unidentifiable as opposed to the office chit chat which will be identifible but probably not in writing (unless they do it on email!).

Of course if they used my name that would be a different matter. But I have a feeling DS wouldn't keep that post up for very long.

My original comment was regarding an update request, and to consider the option of not updating with potentially unpleasant news. I would still suggest that posting any such news is inappropriate, and may not be appreciated if the subject were aware of it, regardless of anonymity. Maybe that's just me, but that's one more than none.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are correct, it could be anyone.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My original comment was regarding an update request, and to consider the option of not updating with potentially unpleasant news. I would still suggest that posting any such news is inappropriate, and may not be appreciated if the subject were aware of it, regardless of anonymity. Maybe that's just me, but that's one more than none.

I agree with you . Some things are not for posting online on an open to all forum .
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »
    by any chance is he constantly tired and get pains in his mussels

Or his shrimps, whelks or starfish?
    ;)
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Or his shrimps, whelks or starfish?
    ;)

First chuckle of the day....