Perseid meteor time

CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I Gather tonight is prime time for Perseid meteors. Anyone seen any yet?

Comments

• SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    It's not dark enough round here yet.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm off to walk the dog later and hope to catch a glimpse :)
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and hopefully tomorrow! Me and the man are hoping to go to the New Forest and have a look :kitty:

(If it's not cloudy >:( )
  • Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any particular direction they are coming from or just random scatter?

(I'm in the very SE of England.)
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forecast for my region, the North West, for the next few nights is mostly clear. Going to try tomorrow night for sure and wish I'd booked a day off work to stay up late.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any particular direction they are coming from or just random scatter?

(I'm in the very SE of England.)

Look to the north, the pole star. The constellation of Persius is down a little and to the right, roughly 10 degrees and 10 degrees.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reminding me, I had a feeling there was an annual event around this week.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to The Sky at Night (skip to about 17:50) the Perseids will be at their peak on the 13th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to The Sky at Night (skip to about 17:50) the Perseids will be at their peak on the 13th.

I read the 12th.

I've been out for an hour and the conditions are perfect. Only saw two though.

Gonna go out again in a couple. :)
    Forum Member
    I read the 11th.

Just been out to have a look and there's too much cloud cover. All I saw was a little flash through a small cloud and a satellite. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edit:

The 2015 Perseid meteor shower will peak on August 11, 12 and 13. A new moon on August 14, 2015 will create perfect conditions for watching the meteor shower.

When Can I See the Perseids?
    The Perseid meteor shower, one of the brighter meteor showers of the year, occur every year between July 17 and August 24. The shower tends to peak around August 9-13.
    The best time to view the Perseids, or most other meteor showers is when the sky is the darkest. Most astronomers suggest that depending on the Moon’s phase, the best time to view meteor showers is right before dawn.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    I read the 12th.

I've been out for an hour and the conditions are perfect. Only saw two though.

Gonna go out again in a couple. :)

My bad. What they actually said was in the early hours of the 13th. So Wednesday night, yes. :)
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    The best time to view the Perseids, or most other meteor showers is when the sky is the darkest. Most astronomers suggest that depending on the Moon’s phase, the best time to view meteor showers is right before dawn.

That would tally with what Pete Lawrence said on The Sky at Night. :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just spent the past ten minutes gazing into a clear northern sky and been rather disappointed having only seen one perseid zip from east to west across the sky in all that time, yet I thought this was likely to be a prime time to stay awake to view. I've seen more by accident some nights in the past!
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    As PJ2 and WJTs have already said, the peak comes in the early hours of Wed night/Thur morning (12th/13th)
    Though the Perseids shower lasts for more than 3 weeks in total - they've been building up for a couple of weeks already, and after the 12th/13th they'll fade away over a period of about a week or so.

The radiant is at the upper end of Perseus, near Cassiopeia, which is to the North-East, about halfway up from horizon to zenith at midnight, and will climb higher as the night goes on.
    Shower meteors don't appear AT the radiant, but appear to shoot away from it, with most appearing to begin, between 15 and 45 degrees away from the radiant. So best chance to see Perseids will be to look either North, or East, or overhead (20 or 30 degrees away from the radiant)
    They can appear almost anywhere in the sky though, but if they are assosciated with the shower, they'll shoot away from that point in Perseus.
    Best time is from midnight onwards - particularly the last hour before the sky starts brightening.

There's also a minor shower (the 'Delta Aquarids') currently tailing off - If you see a meteor coming 'from' low to the South-East, it's probably a Delta Aquarid.

*** shameless plug ***
    Wednesday night/Thursday morning, I'll be up at the Tan Hill Inn to watch the peak of the shower, with a few mates from the Bishop Auckland Astronomical Society.
    As well as watching the shower, a few of us are taking telescopes and will be doing a bit of 'outreach' (if anyone turns up - LOL)
    *weather permitting of course
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super clear skies predicted here again.

Think I might spend all night until dawn, flat out on the lawn. :p
  • BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait - will let my kids stay up for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Yes and hopefully tomorrow! Me and the man are hoping to go to the New Forest and have a look :kitty:

(If it's not cloudy >:( )

It's cloudy. Completely cloudy.

:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    It's cloudy. Completely cloudy.

:cry:

:(

I've seen the big ones that cause a massive flash through clouds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ2 wrote: »
    :(

I've seen the big ones that cause a massive flash through clouds.

I never have :(

Hopefully it might be clearer tomorrow or Thursday...
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Let me know if any of you see anything.
    Forum Member
    I've just been out and it's too cloudy. I'll have another look when I take the dog out around midnight.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    I've just been out and it's too cloudy. I'll have another look when I take the dog out around midnight.

It's clear here. I have my blinds open, but haven't seen anything yet :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see the one aboit 3 mins ago?

Tremendously bright with a big smoke trail. :o

First one I've seen tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two more.

Logging off to enjoy the show now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard on the radio yesterday that this evening after midnight is going to be the most spectacular display, rather looking forward to it!
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a few last night, a couple of nice ones and one photograph. Not sure if I will go out tonight as it's lovely and clear again.