Options

Poor Radio 1 reception in Brum

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live in south Birmingham, and recently the reception of Radio 1 on 97.9 FM has been very patchy. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Comments

• Options
    woodysdadwoodysdad Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No...but I wish!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Very bad in London for me, some raggae station on 98.3 keeps interfering.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try retune to 98.8

Also 97.7 979 98.2 98.5 98.8 99.3 99.5 are all going on my radio :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    My car stereo keeps auto-tuning to 98.5 because it seems to be the best signal, it's a bit staticy on 98.8. Was bloody terrible when driving down the A2 this morning, every 10 seconds or so there would be interference
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RDS can be annoying sometimes.
    And the signal might be better on DAB but wont sound as good as FM.

I have the car radio set to manual tune.

But yes when RDS is on it keeps changing from BBC Essex to BBC Suffok and back to BBC Essex where I live :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reception of Sutton Coldfield (97.9) shouldn't be a problem in south Birmingham - what equipment are you using to receive it?

There are a few spots, south of Birmingham and more likely in the Kidderminster area, where reception is weaker - what is your reception of 98.2 (Ridge Hill, Hereford) like?

Interestingly, the major urban area where the National stations really do vary of signals, is Stoke-on-Trent, where the the RDS code literally 'dances' the frequency all over the place, from 97.9 to 98.5 to 98.9 constantly, wherever you are in the area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reception of Sutton Coldfield (97.9) shouldn't be a problem in south Birmingham - what equipment are you using to receive it?

Bogstandard stuff really, car radio, little Roberts portable in the house. I never used to have a problem,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are a few spots, south of Birmingham and more likely in the Kidderminster area, where reception is weaker - what is your reception of 98.2 (Ridge Hill, Hereford) like?

Hmm, haven't tried, I will have a go. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in south Birmingham, and recently the reception of Radio 1 on 97.9 FM has been very patchy. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

There is lots of work going on to the main Sutton TX which is effecting almost everything and has done for several months.

There is a temporary mast up at the moment whilst the work is being carried out to hold more digital services so many stations (including TV/Radio) are on reduced power.

I live a 5 minute walk from the 97.9 transmitter and I get constant TV reception problems - as well as odd radio interference. You would not believe that people living in the Gravelly Hill area near spaghetti junction cannot recieve decent TV (which is around 7 miles away from the Sutton Coldfield TX) and have their own relay transmitter, and radio reception is very poor in parts - and that is on a good day with everything on full power.

http://www.thisissuttoncoldfield.co.uk/news/MP-demands-action-digital-disruption/article-1369418-detail/article.html
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    If you can't get Radio One on 97.9 then there are LOTS more Radio One transmitters to choose from.
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    RDS can be annoying sometimes.
    And the signal might be better on DAB but wont sound as good as FM.

I have the car radio set to manual tune.

But yes when RDS is on it keeps changing from BBC Essex to BBC Suffok and back to BBC Essex where I live :rolleyes:

My car radio does this. It often retunes 95.8 Capital FM to 101.3 Invica (or is Heart these days?). It also switches BBC London 94.9 to BBC Essex on 95.3

I don't know why it does it but it's very annoying! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is lots of work going on to the main Sutton TX which is effecting almost everything and has done for several months.

There is a temporary mast up at the moment whilst the work is being carried out to hold more digital services so many stations (including TV/Radio) are on reduced power.

[

Ah, that might well be it then, thank you.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of odd since that station (RJR) comes from NW London on fairly low power - I'm surprised you can even receive it on the A2.

It might well be a malfunctioning transmitter nearer to you on a completely different frequency causing the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't knock it mate, enjoy it while you can only get a bad signal . Radio 1 has always been ......(you fill in the rest). I preferred Radio London 266m. and have never listened to that station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, that might well be it then, thank you.

I remember years ago when Radio 1 very first came on FM in the Midlands on 89.4 back in 1988... (Can't believe it was actually 21 years ago!) and I remember listening to it in Walsall whilst at work on my Sony Walkman...the reception was very poor - hence why they moved to 97.9 on more power. I have never had a problem with the reception on Radio 1 in and around the Midlands as it has always been quite solid for at least 60+ miles in either direction. That Sutton mast is pushing out some serious power and I have listened to radio 1 in the car as far as North Manchester and it is only the 98.2 TX which knocks the 97.9 signal out. Like any area, there are 'black' spots through hilly terrain and buildings of which decrease the signal in small areas from time to time.
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried Radio 1 on 97.9 last night and living in Northampton you can hardly hear it at all.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Llangollen the freq is 98.5 (main transmitter is there) but its poor on 98.5 and RDS always tunes it 97.9 where its crystal clear! strange
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try retune to 98.8

Also 97.7 979 98.2 98.5 98.8 99.3 99.5 are all going on my radio :yawn:

Yes. With as many transmitters spread out all over the band wasting space anyone who moans they can't get any BBC National needs a new set up. Or a brain.

On 97.9 in some parts of Brum you might be getting multipath. Try another freq.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin_S wrote: »
    Yes. With as many transmitters spread out all over the band wasting space anyone who moans they can't get any BBC National needs a new set up. Or a brain.

On 97.9 in some parts of Brum you might be getting multipath. Try another freq.

I suffered badly with multipath distortion when I lived near Minworth a couple of years ago. Anything from that mast sounded as though it was 'off-tune' although the tuner was set correctly on the frequencies. The reason being was that I lived in a flat at the time and I was facing the opposite direction. Heart 106/ Mercia/Oak/BBC C&W etc...all blasted over perfectly...but Radio 1-4/Classic/BRMB etc...were very poor. 98.5/98.9 and 99.1 are all quite listenable in most parts of the Midlands for radio 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried Radio 1 on 97.9 last night and living in Northampton you can hardly hear it at all.

Hmmm....I am wondering if 97.9 from Sutton would officially cover that area? There are a few relays between Sutton and Northampton. I could hear most nationals from sutton coldfield just outside Gloucester a while ago...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Llangollen the freq is 98.5 (main transmitter is there) but its poor on 98.5 and RDS always tunes it 97.9 where its crystal clear! strange

Not really strange because Wales is located quite high in parts so you would have more or less a line of sight from sutton coldfield...whearas hilly areas could be blocking the 98.5 relay.

The only thing I can really think of is that ever since the temporary mast has been put up (which infact is 'higher' than it's original mast) that the aerials are possibly located in a different position of which would effect 'fringe' areas. Where reception was fine before...it may be poor now...and where the reception was poor before...some parts may benefit more. (such as your area)

Lots of people are encountering severe reception problems at the moment from sutton coldfield ever since this new mast was erected last year and the flood of complaints are continuing to rise. Almost every week there is a column about this in our local newspaper. (Sutton Coldfield Observer/ Sutton Coldfield News) People are also spending huge amounts of money on new aerials they dont need and are still having reception problems. Once Tv and radio broadcasting aerials have been disturbed or re-positioned, the reception is never the same...especially on fringe areas.
  • Options
    CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm....I am wondering if 97.9 from Sutton would officially cover that area? There are a few relays between Sutton and Northampton. I could hear most nationals from sutton coldfield just outside Gloucester a while ago...

Here in Northampton we have the main frequency from the Northampton relay transmitter on 98.5 which is only 123W, but louder than 98.2 that is 10 KW, and only down the road near Milton Keynes.

I would have thought a 10 KW frequency would have been louder than that of 123 W

The main mast for this area is Peterborough
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live in Kent, the signal for Radio 1 on my radio/stereo is now fuzzy and not clear and the FM ST. light flickers constantly and used to be still and full signal. I listen on 98.80 I presume, as it is that in our area on the frequency. Rather annoying...I am getting a DAB radio soon anyways.
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin_S wrote: »
    Actually there are places, even in some cities, where you can't get a decent signal on the national networks: the network is inefficient with lots of overlap in places but just because you can hear six or seven where you are doesn't mean it's the same everywhere in the UK.