Films that don't live up to the hype.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
Forum Member
After reading a good few reviews i really looked forward to watching It Follows, for me it was a huge disappointment.

Another film was The Conjuring, i just thought it was rip off of previous horrors, no where near as good as some of the reviews.

Comments

• giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Big Hero 6; it was alright but just because it's sad doesn't mean it's automatically good.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most blockbusters usually don't live up to the hype.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    After many years of it being on my 'to watch' list I found The Godfather to be a crushing disappointment
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Blade Runner recently. Thought it was utter pap.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I watched Blade Runner recently. Thought it was utter pap.

Agree with this, I've never understood the adulation for Bladerunner.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Star Wars Episode 7 :p
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardust. I'd heard so amny good thigs about it, and it took me ages to go and see it. Pile of big hairy balls. One of the worst films ive seen in a long time.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought The Conjuring was shite too - all creaky doors & screaming, no story or scares!

I finally got round to watching The Breakfast Club a couple of months ago, I thought that was utter pap as well.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member
    Interstellar. It was a chore to stay til the end of it.
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Hunger Games - pretty slow and boring if you ask me.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member
    Mad Max: Fury Road too, it's really lacking in the storyline department and the second half of the movie is virtually a re-hash of the first half.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despicable Me.

Watchmen.
    Loved the production values, though.

The Cabin in the Woods.

The Shining (1980)
    Jack Nicholson's performance was too hammy for my taste.

This will have everyone tutting at me: Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.

I think it's because I've seen so many war and holocaust films that I couldn't see what lifted them above the rest. I've concluded some time ago that the hype was probably due to people not seeing that many realistic war films. In this case, I can understand why SPR and SL impressed so many, and why not? Both are decent films.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inception & Gravity I found pretty average and give a 6 not worth an 8 or 9 I think.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interstellar. It was a chore to stay til the end of it.
    Agreed - and Pitch Perfect 2, that one had me repeatedly checking my watch wondering when it would be over.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inglourious Basterds

Apart from the opening 10 minutes I thought Tarantino was just in self-parody mode.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother, our mum, his friend and I watched 'The Babadook' when we were staying over in Montana with him last Christmas after we had heard that it was supposed to be really terrifying but none of us jumped at all and even though it was only 94 minutes long it seemed to go absolutely nowhere.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Interstellar really is a clunky piece of film-making with a couple of excellent scenes and some neat effects, but there's a massive swell of opinion that states it's a classic. Which I just don't understand - it's like a lot of viewers these days only remember the awesome bits and don't take a step back and view films as a whole.

Going further back, I'd agree with the Saving Private Ryan suggestion. It's a very dull, worthy, procedural war movie which happens to have some grittily realistic combat segments. I felt that when I watched it the first time and I still do. There's just nothing there under the surface.

I could think of literally dozens and dozens of superior war films.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about interstellar as I generally found it absorbing and involving but did feel, it went on a bit towards the end

first hunger games- I was bored
    Conjuring- uninvolved, I found myself laughing when I should have been scared

will offend a few here, I think

maybe I was not in the wrong mood when I put it on but

No Country for Old Men
    Lost in Translation
    Inception( very well made but found it quite dull, but have not rewatched, yet, so...)

probably anything Mark Kermode loves( I don't include Mad Max: Fury Road, among that, which I loved)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think that there was a "massive swell of opinion" that Interstellar is a classic. If anything, I think its Nolan's most mixed-reviewed film.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I didn't think that there was a "massive swell of opinion" that Interstellar is a classic. If anything, I think its Nolan's most mixed-reviewed film.
    Sorry, I was probably referring more to the general internet hype/consensus towards it post-release - which is massively in the 'classic' status. It's kind of like it gets adulation just for being a Nolan film or something.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I've not seen that. As with the actual critic reviews, the comments from normal people on- and offline have been very mixed from what I've seen. I've seen plenty of people rave about it, but also seen many absolutely *slate* it. Not at all a consensus, at least not what I've read here and elsewhere.
  • beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age of Ultron.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Really? I've not seen that. As with the actual critic reviews, the comments from normal people on- and offline have been very mixed from what I've seen. I've seen plenty of people rave about it, but also seen many absolutely *slate* it. Not at all a consensus, at least not what I've read here and elsewhere.
    Disagree. I've seen a completely different view online for the most part.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty surprised at some of the suggestions in here to be honest.

Lost in Translation
    Interstellar
    The Breakfast Club
    Inglorious Basterds
    The Shining

All wonderful films to me, some of the very best.

I know it's subjective. I'm just a little surprised is all...
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After reading good reviews I was disappointed with these two films

Lost In Translation
    In Bruges

Tomorrowland was a big let down and while Interstellar was OK to watch I thought it was a rip off of the much earlier and much better Contact.