Options

Films that don't live up to the hype.

Comments

• Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Age of ultron. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it but I left the cinema going is that it??? After all the hype and great reviews I felt like I was expecting more than what I got
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    People like to post deliberate stupid posts in order to get a reaction. It is because they are not very bright and have no real things to say. Perhaps one of these troll types can explain the enormous amount of hype they have seen about 'The Breakfast Club'.
    The Breakfast Club has been dealt with at length before, so do a search if you want know why it's liked/disliked. I loathe it with a passion, but would rather not rake over old leaves.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say there's too many films that I was REALLY looking forward to that let me down. I guess the only one that springs to mind is 'Argo'

That was one I thought I'd really enjoy, but I just found the whole thing boring.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Age of ultron. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it but I left the cinema going is that it??? After all the hype and great reviews I felt like I was expecting more than what I got

Oh yeah. Very disappointed.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyhood. Way too long and nothing really happens. Was so disappointed.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like to post deliberate stupid posts in order to get a reaction. It is because they are not very bright and have no real things to say.

Neither are you, seeing how you saw fit to describe posters with dissident voices that way. Whether we like or dislike a film is always down to our reaction, which makes it a very personal and subjective thing. Come on, you should know better.
    Perhaps one of these troll types can explain the enormous amount of hype they have seen about 'The Breakfast Club'.

Well, I didn't list The Breakfast Club on my list, but I should have. It was certainly one of most hyped films when friends and I went to see it at cinema.

The film was heavily promoted in British teen magazines - with so many columnists urging readers to check it out, and so many fashion spreads that modelled after Molly Ringwald/Claire and Ally Sheedy/Allison's clothes - and TV youth programmes. We were part of the film's target audience, after all. The song and music video Don't You (Forget About Me) was on air so many times that I can't stand the song and the music video to this day.

The marketing and reviews were so relentless that we felt we'd be missing out if we didn't see it. Our expectations were high when we saw it. And you know what? None of us were impressed. It was mostly "Is that it?" The others at school thought it was utterly shite.

I think that's down to us feeling the fatigue from being subjected to the film's heavy marketing for months. The marketing and reviews had also made our expectations so high that the film didn't have a decent chance to live up to them.

It wasn't until the film was released on VHS a couple of years later that it finally got the love it felt it deserved. And the rest, as they say, is history. I avoided seeing TBC again for years until I came across it on TV one night. It was a nice little film. Nothing special, but nice, anyhow.

In spite of that, I can see why some might find it a let down. And why not? It's always about the relationship between a film and its viewer. Either it works or it doesn't.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyhood. Zero plot, no storyline, no excitment. 12 years wasted. Apart from the novelty of the kids aging here is simply nothing else. No different to watching the cast age in the Harry Potter movies.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like to post deliberate stupid posts in order to get a reaction. It is because they are not very bright and have no real things to say. Perhaps one of these troll types can explain the enormous amount of hype they have seen about 'The Breakfast Club'.

I don't know if I have membership into that illustrious club you refer to, but in answer to the point about The Breakfast Club; it has become an iconic film and that in itself is hype. It is still quoted, referenced, parodied and written about. That only serves to add expeaction for anyone who has heard of it but not watched it yet. The same applies to many other older films of course, indeed many films are victims of their own success, be it Star Wars, Blade Rnner or The Breakfast Club.
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much any release that is mentioned in mainstream press. Hyperbole has become the order of the day. They are trying to sell a product so everything is hyped. If something is just good it's a 'classic'. If something is pretty good then it's 'life changing and the best thing since oxygen'. Conversely, if something is mediocre it's 'so bad it's just the worst thing ever'.

I stopped listening to all the hype a long time ago. I judge a film by seeing what the subject matter is, and if it interests me, I'll watch it. If within 20 minutes the script doesn't seem clunky or the acting hammy, I'll watch it through.

That said, I never got all the fuss about Bladerunner. I didn't find it bad, I just found it 'meh'. I was expecting a poignant piece with an impeccable script. It wasn't. It was atmospheric, sure. But for me, average.

Bridges Over Madison County was another. I didn't believe the connection between the two, so everything else just didn't work because of it. It was an insta-love with no exploration as to why these people liked each other so much she would considering risking everything.

Oh and The Black Swan - what a overwrought piece of nonsense that took itself way too seriously. I felt hit over the with a hammer by it's simplistic and clunky metaphors that everyone thought was 'amazin' n smart'.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Fargo - Siskel and Ebert raved about this. 5 stars in Empire magazine. Maybe - it has more of a connection with an American audience. I for one, don't get it. It's too hokey - the mix of comedy and drama - doesn't feel right. The character of Marge is annoying as well. Of all of the Coen brothers work - this one is the weakest.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ref The Breakfast Club, I was in my 20s when it first came out and I didn't fancy watching a film about school; I saw Pitch Perfect last year, where they made reference to TBC as having the best ending of a film ever, so I thought I'd watch it. And, as I said in my other post, thought it was "meh".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finally got around to seeing Snow White & The Huntsman :o:o:o

Probably the worst movie i've seen in years. Why anyone would admit they like this in public is beyond me.

Kristin Stewart looking like she about to lapse in a coma judging by the way she says her lines and general demeanor she gives her character.

Charlize Theron trying to steal the crown from both Al Pacino and Faye Dunaway for chewing scenery and screaming your lines for no apparent reason.

Poor Chris Hemsworth isn't that great here but he tries to put some effort in god dammit and compared to the two ladies he's freakin' Laurence Olivier.

How this film has even 1% of hype is beyond me.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found 'Little Miss Sunshine' overhyped, I didnt think it was bad, but ok.

'Kill Bill' was complete unbelievable and unenjoyable tripe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found 'Little Miss Sunshine' overhyped, I didnt think it was bad, but ok.

'Kill Bill' was complete unbelievable and unenjoyable tripe.

What Tarantino film IS realistic? Part 1 is a masterpiece. Part 2 is utter crap.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    What Tarantino film IS realistic? Part 1 is a masterpiece. Part 2 is utter crap.

Well I agree about Tarantino, I only watched the first one, but I just didnt enjoy it at all. I found it see through and predictable, Americanised, gratuitously violent and repetitive.
    I didnt even find it amusing, which I did for instance with 'The Evil Dead', (I know not Tarantino, but most found that film shocking, whereas I could see the tongue in cheek humour intended)
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Blade Runner recently. Thought it was utter pap.
    I hear you. Have watched it a couple of times and always been bored. Then over the years tried to think, was in a bad mood, how can I be so wrong and then I'll watch it again and be bored rigid.

For me Man of Steel was a huge disappointment. The trailer painted a picture of a Superman I'd longed to see, whilst the actual film was forgettable, unfeeling, empty trash.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I agree about Tarantino, I only watched the first one, but I just didnt enjoy it at all. I found it see through and predictable, Americanised, gratuitously violent and repetitive.
    I didnt even find it amusing, which I did for instance with 'The Evil Dead', (I know not Tarantino, but most found that film shocking, whereas I could see the tongue in cheek humour intended)
    I also agree. The homage to the films of the 60's and 70's with the graininess and woeful effects when showing the plane just looked juvenile rather than cool. Likewise the fight scenes that got everyone so wet, had nothing on the likes of Tony Jaa or Donnie Yen.

Whilst I concede that he is a good writer when he puts his mind to it, QT surrounds himself with far too many yes people and hangers on. In turn I'm sure many people sound check his films because they think it makes them look cool by association.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently saw Mad Max:Fury Road. I admit I didn't like it. But, even looking at it objectively, it has a bad narrative, thin story and overblown set-pieces.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    In turn I'm sure many people sound check his films because they think it makes them look cool by association.
    If anybody is still actually doing that they're the best part of twenty years too late.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Of The Rings especially the third one.
    Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
    Annie Hall.
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    It has a bad narrative, thin story and overblown set-pieces.
    IMO you're confusing thin story and bad narrative with visual exposition, which I thought was great and kept the film moving along at a good pace without slowing down.
    Overblown set pieces... as they were very well choreographed and filmed, I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Most British films are over praised. I suppose it is to support our small film industry, but avoiding British films as a result does mean that one misses the very occasional good one.

I hate the 'Back British Film' campaign.
    Why not just have 'Back Good Films'?
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Prof. wrote: »
    After reading a good few reviews i really looked forward to watching It Follows, for me it was a huge disappointment.

Another film was The Conjuring, i just thought it was rip off of previous horrors, no where near as good as some of the reviews.

Avatar-hackneyed old crap with reasonable (not earth shattering CGI)
    mamma Mia-made me cringe rather than filled me with joy
    apocalypse Now-never gotten into this
    The Seveth Seal- looks good, but pretentious (see citizen Kane)

And most recently- the New Mission Impossible- bored me to death
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I didn't think that there was a "massive swell of opinion" that Interstellar is a classic. If anything, I think its Nolan's most mixed-reviewed film.

I found it boring & overlong.

That's an increasing problem these days-films are overlong.

You certainly get your money's worth but the result is a tedious film & too much clutter which affects the storytelling.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it really counts, but I think The Babadook deserves a mention here. Thought it was terrible :blush: