BBC2 Interviews Before Execution

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dn7rm
Started at 23:20
Every Saturday night in China, millions gather around their televisions to watch Interviews Before Execution, an extraordinary talk show which interviews prisoners on death row.

In the weeks, days or even minutes before they are executed, presenter Ding Yu goes into prisons and talks to those condemned to die. Combining clips from the TV show, never-before-seen footage of China's death row and interviews with a local judge who openly questions the future of the death penalty in China, This World reveals a part of China that is generally hidden from from view.

Comments

• DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew this would be slightly disturbing but something I felt I should watch
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching - bizarre
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This woman seems an absolute cow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is really not doing the poor international reputation of China any favours
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is upsetting - guilty or not.

I certainly don't see Ding as an angel. She makes me think of News International - that NoTW or The Sun hard-nosed attitude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She really isn't very nice, is she? Maybe I'm being harsh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    She really isn't very nice, is she? Maybe I'm being harsh.

No your not, its not a country I would ever set foot in
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me proud to live in a country that abolished such babarity decades ago.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    No your not, its not a country I would ever set foot in

And America? They're in the same ghastly boat when it comes to killing their prisoners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And America? They're in the same ghastly boat when it comes to killing their prisoners.

I feel pretty strongly about that country in the same way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is incredible:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    This programme is just bloody disturbing.

Imagine an Iranian version of this! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This would have had more effect shown earlier in the evening
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does show how much has changed in just a few years regarding the degree of openness in China.

I can't imagine this documentary being approved for filming just a few years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does show how much has changed in just a few years regarding the degree of openness in China.

I can't imagine this documentary being approved for filming just a few years ago.

That is true this is very open by Chinese standards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

Not really. In China you can be executed for any of 57 crimes. In America, it's only one. America executes around 50 criminals per year, while in China they kill several thousand.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched it yet. (should I even bother?)

I am disturbed that murderers get this interview but the countless other people they execute who haven't killed anyone don't get a voice. If they interviewed non murderers it might start a campaign against the death penalty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well as of the 9th March 2012 the show will no longer be made it said, clearly its not gone down well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow.

Upsetting but interesting. I thought the senior judge spoke well - again I was surprised that she was allowed to voice her personal opinions on the death penalty. Times do seem to be changing over there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Well as of the 9th March 2012 the show will no longer be made it said, clearly its not gone down well

It's probably in response to this documentary being shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    It's probably in response to this documentary being shown.

True. Hope that judge doesn't get into trouble.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.

Upsetting but interesting. I thought the senior judge spoke well - again I was surprised that she was allowed to voice her personal opinions on the death penalty. Times do seem to be changing over there.

The senior judge looked like Vera Bennett from Prisoner Cell Block H with a kindly face :o
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite surprised by the Chinese judges. They seemed thoughtful people who took their burden of responsibility very seriously and with compassion.

Judge Judy is scarier than they are. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She was the most decent senior figure interviewed, she basically said it should end the death penalty but Chinese people are not ready for the end of it
  • JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I didn't like Ding Yu at first, but throughout the programme my opinion totally changed. She seemed emotionally scarred and clearly affected by some of the cases. I think reflecting on them, she let out her real opinions and feelings - she claimed not to have sympathy for the people she interviewed, but I think, in some cases, she did.

Interesting to note that the programme was axed by the Chinese TV station 4 days ago, without warning.