A Question of Sport - 1000th Episode

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
The sports quiz reaches the landmark of 1,000 episodes. Regulars Sue Barker, Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell are joined by four former captains to celebrate this milestone. Also in HD
I think the programme has gone down hill in recent years. It too childish and full of palour games and not enough of a quiz.

It's still quite a milestone though.

Comments

• chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's changed considerably since A League of Their Own started on Sky 1, with AQOS taking on elements of what is done on there, things like the captains challenge, and talking to to guests occasionally, for instance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this episode; it was a reminder of how good it used to be and how watchable it still can be if the guests are up for a laugh.
    I agree that it's tried to emulate A League of Their Own to some degree, and that's a shame for me as that is predominantly a comedy show; that format, imo, doesn't suit QoS, which was always a good Sports Quiz - part of the enjoyment was in being able to guess the answers at home.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I would rather it became a serious sports gameshow like a sporting mastermind.

I find it quite cringey most the time with the 'banter'
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which former captains did they have on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Which former captains did they have on?

Bill Beaumont, Ally McCoist, Willie Carson and John Parrott.
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's turned into They Think It's All Over
  • sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I did enjoy the banter between John Parrott and Ally McCoist. It reminded me of when I first started to watch the show and I would love them to return to it again but Ally couldn't with Rangers.

If anything I would replace Dawson with Parrott and keep Tuffers but I still love the show and yes it has changed a lot in the last 10 years let alone 43 years but many including myself still enjoy it
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A complete waste of half-an-hour of my life. Talk about going downhill!! Used to be a must-watch, now it's a must-miss. Pity.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best captain imo was Emlyn Hughes who became like an over excited child in a sweet shop when he was on. His meeting with Princess Anne was priceless.
  • MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I see there is an extended 40 minute post watershed version of this show on Wednesday Night. Maybe the 'dangerous' content will be worth a look.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,294
    Forum Member
    Bit too much foucs on the captains and celeb sports-stars now rather than the quiz itself.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think many are looking back at earlier editions of the programme through rose-tinted glasses. It was always about captains and celebrities and the quiz was incidental. If it became a "Sports Mastermind" as someone suggested then the number of viewers would drop very quickly and the series would quite likely not survive. I have little interest in sport but watch because it is entertaining and interesting to see some sportspeople in a different setting to where they are normally seen. Someone said the captains' challenge only came in because of some programme on Sky but I am sure variants on it have been part of Question of Sport for many years.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like A Question of Sport. Last nights 1000th episode was good fun.
    I can't stand James Corden if he isn't acting. As a comedian and presenter he gets up my nose. Only ever watched 1 episode of League of their own. Which was enough.

Question of Sport varies and I don't like the tepid bitchiness between Dawson and Tufnell.

Its better when they have a mix of ages in the guests.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I never used to miss this, but I've gone off it a lot since they changed the captains challenge stuff. I don't mind the miming the sports, kind of thing, but some of it's stupid.
    I've never watched the other quizzes but I assumed they'd taken stuff from them.

If' it ain't broke don't fix it. I wish someone would tell them that.

The fact Sue Barker clearly favours Dawson irritates me as well.