Greatest girl group????

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Considering that girl group music has traditionally cared very little about artistic integrity (with a few exceptions), and instead gone for easy-to-chew music, simple lyrics and visuals over substance, I think we should compare girl groups based on these qualities. And thus we must look over to Korea where they have perfected the training of girl groups. Korean groups are far, far better dancers than Western groups, but often at the same level vocally.

So let's forget the geography centric view with only UK and US groups and pick a few Korean groups instead. Here are my suggestions:

1. 2NE1
    2. Nine Muses
    3. Brown Eyed Girls
    4. After School
    5. Girls' Generation
    6. Crayon Pop
    7. 4Minute
    8. Sistar
    9. KARA
    10. Rainbow
    11. Miss A
    12. Girls' Day
    13. T-ara

Some might put Wonder Girls on the list, even as #1, but I won't. Dark horse for the list: EvoL (Young group, but has massive talent.)
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    If we want me to stay! Then say it
    Want me to go! Then show it
    Don't be afraid
    Oh don't break this
    Heart of Mine
    Now's the time if
    I'm Right
    Then We've
    COME TO THE END OF THE LINE!

Oh, Honeyz.... it can only be one. If we're talking girl groups in the 90s, that is. :D

Wow not in all saints league or even b*witched
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taccado wrote: »
    Considering that girl group music has traditionally cared very little about artistic integrity (with a few exceptions), and instead gone for easy-to-chew music, simple lyrics and visuals over substance, I think we should compare girl groups based on these qualities. And thus we must look over to Korea where they have perfected the training of girl groups. Korean groups are far, far better dancers than Western groups, but often at the same level vocally.

So let's forget the geography centric view with only UK and US groups and pick a few Korean groups instead. Here are my suggestions:

1. 2NE1
    2. Nine Muses
    3. Brown Eyed Girls
    4. After School
    5. Girls' Generation
    6. Crayon Pop
    7. 4Minute
    8. Sistar
    9. KARA
    10. Rainbow
    11. Miss A
    12. Girls' Day
    13. T-ara

Some might put Wonder Girls on the list, even as #1, but I won't. Dark horse for the list: EvoL (Young group, but has massive talent.)

Far too great an assumption that and it doesn't stand up to analysis at all. From The Shirelles, The Supremes, The Belle Starrs, LaBelle, Bananarama, The Bangles, Destiny's Child, TLC, Sugababes....these girl groups are quite capable of artistic integrity if not all of equal talent.

That's just an excuse to list a lot of Korean girl groups who have little cultural significance in UK pop culture ( that may change in the future, I don't know) but that's no reason to diss some great girl group music from the past. Get real!
  • _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    "I heard a rumour, they say you got a broken heart"

Bananarama need another mention

"hot summer streets and the pavements are burning"

"only you can set me free, cos I'm guilty"

"Only your love can free me"

"I want you back don't care what I have to do"

" I can't help it, I'm captivated by your honey"

Their back catalogue is so damn underrated.

All the singles from the first six studio albums are freaking pop gold.

I have to admit I haven't cared that much for them for the last three albums though I kinda wish they had stayed a trio aswell either with Jacquie or gotten back with Siobhan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _Magnum_ wrote: »
    Their back catalogue is so damn underrated.

All the singles from the first six studio albums are freaking pop gold.

I have to admit I haven't cared that much for them for the last three albums though I kinda wish they had stayed a trio aswell either with Jacquie or gotten back with Siobhan.

Yes I agree, I loved Love, Truth and Honesty