Options

Best T Rex song ??

Comments

• Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    So everyone - Glitter, Slade, Sweet, Wombles - was ripping off Bolan's ideas.
    Bands like the Sweet and Mud were bandwagon jumpers IMO. The true glam rock acts were inventive and quite original - T. Rex, David Bowie, Roxy Music and Sparks all made brilliant music and were startling in appearance. It was a great era for the charts :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20th Century Boy
    Telegram Sam

I was around when they started out but didn't like them then, I got into them when I got older.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,109
    Forum Member
    brokennews wrote: »
    Another vote for Beltane Walk! I love the violins on the final chorus.

Mind you, I'm probably being biased because I like practically everything by this band. Anyone heard of John's Children, a psych band who had a brief period with Bolan as the guitarist, who penned their only hit Desdemona (banned by the BBC for the line "lift up your skirt and fly" :eek::D)? They caused a riot when they toured Germany with The Who! :D

I remember that.....we were at school in a convent and used to snigger at Desdemona,Desdemona..lift up your skirts and fly......aaaaah the memories
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that.....we were at school in a convent and used to snigger at Desdemona,Desdemona..lift up your skirts and fly......aaaaah the memories

It wasn't his most shocking lyric compared to the stuff that came later.

"And I'm gonna SUCK you!" :eek::D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I like Children Of The Revolution.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Jeepster
    20th Century Boy
    Telegram Sam

My brother used to play T Rex for hours...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Im 19 and loads of people my age still listen to all this sort of music, Bowie T.Rex Rolling Stone Velvet Underground etc i grew up with my mum playing the slider album which is pretty great but my favourites are:

Children of the revoloution

Light of Love

Solid Easy Action
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 19 and loads of people my age still listen to all this sort of music, Bowie T.Rex Rolling Stone Velvet Underground etc i grew up with my mum playing the slider album which is pretty great but my favourites are:

Children of the revoloution

Light of Love

Solid Gold Easy Action

Light of Love is a decent track but it's... different. You're in great company Oliver- you have fine taste! Slider's ok but I actually have a soft spot for the later, obscure stuff :D
  • Options
    tonydryertonydryer Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    The Petticoat Lane? Sorry, you'd need to be a die-hard fan to get the reference (London Boys) :D

The first Tyrannosaurus album came out in 1968 :)

I know, it wasn't just a reference, i really worked there.

whenever i hear london boys i always think of that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    It's so sad that Marc Bolan died just when his career was really taking off again with the TV show "Marc", which showcased a lot of punk bands - seemed like an unlikely combination at the time, and I would like to have seen what it would have led to...
    I notice the shows are available on DVD
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marc-Bolan/dp/B000BSQQXG
    Unfortunately it appears to be a cut version with all the guest punk bands edited out.

Marc liked punk music a lot and took The Damned along with him on his final tour. Forget all these indie artists today who say they have eclectic taste- Marc truly did. He liked music in almost every genre (including Cliff Richard :o) from pop to metal to soul to the avant-garde- all styles he has covered in his own inimitable style.

There was, unsurprisingly, a section of music fans who hated him- he once got his nose broken by a Bowie fan! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wasn't his most shocking lyric compared to the stuff that came later.

"And I'm gonna SUCK you!" :eek::D;)
    Oh I know that - what song is it from Broken?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I know that - what song is it from Broken?

Jeepster :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeepster :D
    Doh, of course! I'm going to listen to an old T. Rex tape I made years ago - if you want I'll post the track listing; it's all my faves. There's bound to be some stuff to chew over, as in what your fave T. Rex songs are as opposed to mine.

It only goes as far in time as Zinc though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh, of course! I'm going to listen to an old T. Rex tape I made years ago - if you want I'll post the track listing; it's all my faves. There's bound to be some stuff to chew over, as in what your fave T. Rex songs are as opposed to mine.

It only goes as far in time as Zinc though.

Post it Musty! Any rare tracks on there like b-sides?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Post it Musty! Any rare tracks on there like b-sides?
    Not mega rarities - B sides like Jitterbug Love, which I love.

I'll post it tomorrow. I used to listen to that tape all the time :D

90 minutes of excellence :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not mega rarities - B sides like Jitterbug Love, which I love.

I'll post it tomorrow. I used to listen to that tape all the time :D

90 minutes of excellence :cool:

Jitterbug Love= :cool:

I love the way Marc could make old rock'n'roll riffs sound so contemporary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jitterbug Love= :cool:

I love the way Marc could make old rock'n'roll riffs sound so contemporary.
    He was unique. I don't feel he gets enough credit. No one carried on his type of music because he was so unique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was unique. I don't feel he gets enough credit. No one carried on his type of music because he was so unique.

He was so many musicians rolled into one: Elvis meets Bowie with more than a dash of Prince, maybe a tiny bit of Zappa, a lot of Hendrix, Beatles, a touch of Jagger and some Syd Barrett to top it all.

Well that's what he seems like a composite of to me. And we can't forget the Bobby Dylan! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was so many musicians rolled into one: Elvis meets Bowie with more than a dash of Prince, maybe a tiny bit of Zappa, a lot of Hendrix, Beatles, a touch of Jagger and some Syd Barrett to top it all.

Well that's what he seems like a composite of to me. And we can't forget the Bobby Dylan! :D
    All the above, but something very original too. No one ever topped him for images in songs. His lyrics are so out of this world.

Morrissey's a big fan; when I saw him at Wembley the songs played before he came on stage were all his own choices. Metal Guru was one of them :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the above, but something very original too. No one ever topped him for images in songs. His lyrics are so out of this world.

Morrissey's a big fan; when I saw him at Wembley the songs played before he came on stage were all his own choices. Metal Guru was one of them :cool:

I know of Moz's fandom.

Other bands/artists which are fans include:

Oasis (obviously)
    REM
    Ian Brown
    Many others, I can't think of any more right now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know of Moz's fandom.

Other bands/artists which are fans include:

Oasis (obviously)
    REM
    Ian Brown
    Many others, I can't think of any more right now
    I remember at the time it was T. Rex v Slade, but I always preferred T. Rex :D I liked Slade and their music developed quite a bit. T. Rex at their peak were the ultimate pop - rock band for me though.

No other act of the time conjured up such strong imagery in songs that were commercial enough to top the charts. With the possible exception of David Bowie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember at the time it was T. Rex v Slade, but I always preferred T. Rex :D I liked Slade and their music developed quite a bit. T. Rex at their peak were the ultimate pop - rock band for me though.

They did the 20th Century Boy intro on Never Mind the Buzzcocks the other week and a young indie guest got it, while if you asked a typical young person to name a Slade song which wasn't Cum on Feel the Noize or Merry Xmas Everybody, they'd probably be stumped. It seems that more young people today prefer Marc to Slade, due to his music's closeness to (dare I say it) some indie (think the Fratellis) :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Cosmic Dancer, Get It On and Rip Off the most. It is a shame that Marc doesn't get enough recognition since to me he was an exciting rockstar but he still seemed to be a nice and polite person (most rock stars nowadays either lack the exciting component or the polite one). I'm sure if he hadn't died he would have a lot more recognition today.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Now, now...

Some of us love BOTH Marc and Slade.

The latter did some great stuff in their later career, as their popularity peaked then tailed off a bit ie 1974/5-early 80's. They went from soul/r&b to heavy metal to synth-rock, then back to rock and roll. Some very fine albums between 1974-84, and some good ones from 84-91.

And 'How Does It Feel' is just a great song with a capital G...if Lennon/McCartney had written it, it would be rightly hailed as one of the great British pop songs, but sadly it tends to be forgotten...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did the 20th Century Boy intro on Never Mind the Buzzcocks the other week and a young indie guest got it, while if you asked a typical young person to name a Slade song which wasn't Cum on Feel the Noize or Merry Xmas Everybody, they'd probably be stumped. It seems that more young people today prefer Marc to Slade, due to his music's closeness to (dare I say it) some indie (think the Fratellis) :o
    Yeah, I think it's more suited to today's music. Slade were much more simplistic lyrically, but they did some great tracks. When I heard their single Gudbye T'Jane, that's when I thought 'hang on, Slade are pretty good'. I bought that and their next three albums. How Does It Feel? was a late single that had a very strong Beatles feel to it. Their fans deserted them when their music changed sadly.

By 1976 both bands had lost the glory days though.