Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    We've been discussing that for years.

Knowing our luck, all the episodes that do still remain and that's the one probably gone for good :D

I really would love to see it though. I enjoy Hartnell's performances, hearing him on DMP he is amazing.

Marco Polo is the most likely to be found as lots of copies were made.

DMP is great but Hartnell stumbled his lines a fair bit. I just watched Volcano and it was painful at times.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    Marco Polo is the most likely to be found as lots of copies were made.

DMP is great but Hartnell stumbled his lines a fair bit. I just watched Volcano and it was painful at times.

I think it's cause I love the audio story.

The villain Mavic Chen is great along with the Daleks, plus the Time Meddler Monk :D

Lets hope 2015 see's some Doctor Who discoveries :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I think it's cause I love the audio story.

The villain Mavic Chen is great along with the Daleks, plus the Time Meddler Monk :D

Lets hope 2015 see's some Doctor Who discoveries :)

I'm watching the Loose Cannon reconstruction. Basically it's the audio, with the screencaps, surviving footage and a little bit of animation (Dalek "speaking" lights, static on the monitor etc.). They are all very good indeed. With DMP they didn't do episodes 2, 5 and 10 as they exist, so you need to buy the Lost in Time boxset to see those.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    As has been suggested before, IF he has more missing episodes which scenario would you prefer?

1). An announcement that "we have eight previously missing episodes which have been restored and cleaned up and are ready to be released to the public", or:

2) An announcement that "We have eight previously missing episodes, we are working to restore them and a further announcement will follow, followed by "these episodes are actually too badly damaged to be of any use".

Personally if he had more episodes which couldn't be used I'd prefer him to keep quiet and not to know that he ever had them to begin with.

It would be only a week at most to check and confirm that the episodes were in good condition even if their were 90.
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tlotoxl wrote: »
    It would be only a week at most to check and confirm that the episodes were in good condition even if their were 90.

One would think that but to combat that the rumour included the fact that the 90 found episodes were part of a huuuuuuuuge haul of recoveries that all had to be checked and that Doctor Who wasn't a priority.

I think enough time has passed with no news of further recoveries (Doctor Who or otherwise) that it's probably safe to say that was made up ballcocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    One would think that but to combat that the rumour included the fact that the 90 found episodes were part of a huuuuuuuuge haul of recoveries that all had to be checked and that Doctor Who wasn't a priority.

I think enough time has passed with no news of further recoveries (Doctor Who or otherwise) that it's probably safe to say that was made up ballcocks.

I am 100% sure Marco Polo was found too. All the Web/Enemy rumours also had Marco Polo lumped alongside them, so why add it to the rumour when Web/Enemy is a pretty big on their own. I'm not sure why it was never released, we've all heard the "more money" rumours but I don't believe a Doctor Who fan would hold them to ransom. Either way I'm sure it's found as reliable sources had it put with Web/Enemy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I am 100% sure Marco Polo was found too. All the Web/Enemy rumours also had Marco Polo lumped alongside them, so why add it to the rumour when Web/Enemy is a pretty big on their own. I'm not sure why it was never released, we've all heard the "more money" rumours but I don't believe a Doctor Who fan would hold them to ransom. Either way I'm sure it's found as reliable sources had it put with Web/Enemy.

There was so much the same sources got wrong though. And when you consider the possibility that the rumours all came from the person that found the episodes then you can see why there are no guarantees that Marco Polo or anything else has been found.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    There was so much the same sources got wrong though. And when you consider the possibility that the rumours all came from the person that found the episodes then you can see why there are no guarantees that Marco Polo or anything else has been found.

Who knows, Morris behaviour is very odd if he doesn't have some kind of ace up his sleeve, so I still think there's more (and Marco would be the most likely as there were the most prints produced of it).

Morris presumably is going to want to sell us a book about the search in the end; I guess we'll find out sooner or later. Probably later. ;)
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,103
    Forum Member
    So I saw reports on Twitter that someone had "Web 3" for sale and it sold last night for an undisclosed sum. I think many had debunked it as being fake, which seems 99% likely as this person just happened to have the only missing Web episode that's a bit too co-incidental to me. Stranger things have happened though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    So I saw reports on Twitter that someone had "Web 3" for sale and it sold last night for an undisclosed sum. I think many had debunked it as being fake, which seems 99% likely as this person just happened to have the only missing Web episode that's a bit too co-incidental to me. Stranger things have happened though.

Private collectors are bound to have some missing Doctor Who. However, they will not part with them as they lose the rarity and value.

I imagine considering how popular the Dalek's where in the 60's, I can see all the Dalek stories existing. Just depends on where and how many is out there.

I hope the rumor is true :) I've not see the new Web episodes yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now of the school of thought that only Web and Enemy were found and everything else is a smokescreen. Power was widely tipped to be released at one point. The director died in February this year and if Power was sitting gathering dust in a haul of lost TV episodes as part of some bizarre game or tug-o-war instead of giving Barry (and the rest of us) the chance to see this again then it's nothing short of criminal in my eyes.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After Evil of the Daleks, Terry Nation withdrew the rights for the BBC to use the Daleks or market any Dalek stories. He wanted to launch them in their own series in America, which is why Evil has the Dalek civil war and "the final end".

Power and Evil were not marketed overseas much because of the contractual issue.

As Power is the first Troughton story, this had a negative effect on sales of a lot of the rest of the Troughton tales; this is why there are more missing Troughton episodes than Hartnell episodes.

You'd think that Dalekmania would boost sales of Dalek stories overseas, but actually Dalekmania led to Terry Nation wanting to do his own thing with the Daleks, so there were fewer overseas sales and (45yrs later) fewer places where these missing episodes can now be found.

(All of this is detailed in the book "Wiped". Apologies if I am paraphrasing).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Evil of the Daleks, Terry Nation withdrew the rights for the BBC to use the Daleks or market any Dalek stories. He wanted to launch them in their own series in America, which is why Evil has the Dalek civil war and "the final end".

Power and Evil were not marketed overseas much because of the contractual issue.

As Power is the first Troughton story, this had a negative effect on sales of a lot of the rest of the Troughton tales; this is why there are more missing Troughton episodes than Hartnell episodes.

You'd think that Dalekmania would boost sales of Dalek stories overseas, but actually Dalekmania led to Terry Nation wanting to do his own thing with the Daleks, so there were fewer overseas sales and (45yrs later) fewer places where these missing episodes can now be found.

(All of this is detailed in the book "Wiped". Apologies if I am paraphrasing).

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me. Urgh :(

Why Terry WHY!!! :D

Maybe the Cybermen stories then?? They where popular in the Troughton era so hopefully they're out there.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's one possible interpretation.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    So I saw reports on Twitter that someone had "Web 3" for sale and it sold last night for an undisclosed sum. I think many had debunked it as being fake, which seems 99% likely as this person just happened to have the only missing Web episode that's a bit too co-incidental to me.

Seems more likely as we know there's a missing Episode 3 to be accounted for from the set that was recovered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Seems more likely as we know there's a missing Episode 3 to be accounted for from the set that was recovered.

No doubt it's a fake but this was my logic. If all have been found bar one episode, then it stands to reason that one episode is more likely to be found as more copies of that would remain missing.

Anyway, with Web 3 I think it was found in Jos but was damaged / destroyed.
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I'm assuming this forum is pretty much dead?
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This thread is. It's even decomposing.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underwater Menace getting a half-animated DVD release later this year suggests to me that nothing more has been returned.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is. It's even decomposing.

There is that tensile smell of vinegar about the place...:)
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had high hopes that at least marco polo had been found but even that has gone quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still sure Marco Polo is found. It's nice it's quietened down though, gives those in the know the chance to get things sorted out of the public eye.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I had high hopes that at least marco polo had been found but even that has gone quiet.

While the realist in me does think that we've had alll the returns we're gonna get, I must admit I got a flutter of excitement when the DWM "Next Time" page listed Marco Polo among the contents.

Probably just a Fact Of Fiction... but then, it also lists Androids Of Tara as something covered, so who knows... :p
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, an extract from William Hartnell's previously missing Desert Island Discs seems to have turned up from somewhere recently...
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, an extract from William Hartnell's previously missing Desert Island Discs seems to have turned up from somewhere recently...

Exactly. There's footage, audio, and complete episodes still to be found, I'm sure.

There will always be rumours of new discoveries and until the day when the last missing episode is found then there will always be a need for a thread such as this.

Long Live the Missing Episodes thread!