Options

Steven Moffat is open to River Song and Jack Harkness return!

Comments

• Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd prefer new characters, new ideas, rather than bringing back characters we've already explored previously in past eras. Move forward with a new era, with its own identity.

Though if we are to have a return then having another adventure with Robin Hood, Perkins or a second heist with Saibra and Psi would be more of a fun return team up than River and Jack.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could live without River Song for another couple of seasons but would love to see Jack return. Shame he didn't have some time with 11!
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    No thank you , I cannot stand Song, she needs to stay in the damn library and never be let out, Jack on the other hand, I would love to see, but I am not sure he would fit in with 12. I would prefer a new Wales based series of TW, ( I can dream,lol)
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then Rory could come back - again and again and again.;-)
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've never seen how she came by her sonic screwdriver.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't River Song and Captain Jack meeting cause some kind of flirting singularity that could destroy the universe.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't River Song and Captain Jack meeting cause some kind of flirting singularity that could destroy the universe.

Hell of a way to go! :D
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love that maybe just a little flirt to wind the doctor up. Doctor knows she loves him and only him really. Plus he could need both of them if he is facing a big battle .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack is not my favourite character, but it's always nice to see old friends back. Doctor Who is one show that lasts 51 years and it is very important to connect eras and keep continuity.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If there's a story for either character, why not but in general new characters is the way to go.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I feel the show should focus on looking forward but I would not be adverse to seeing the characters again for Moffat's swansong - River was his creation after all, and Jack first appeared in a Moffat story.

If Series 9 is his last, it'd be a hell of a way to go. I'd have a two-part finale involving an assemblage of the universe's greatest time travellers, trying to stop a threat from the Weeping Angels...

Captain Jack: Series 9 would be a great time for him to make a comeback at any rate - marking the tenth year since the comeback of the show, he was the second companion-proper for Eccleston's Doctor. With Billie Piper already having returned several times, and Eccleston unlikely to be involved, I'd have Barrowman put on his long coat again and arrive via Vortex Manipulator again. It'd also be nice to know that his characters last scene in Doctor Who wasn't lamenting the death of his grandson in Children of Earth. It'd also give us a chance to ignore Miracle Day which I'm more than keen to do. It'd also be a chance to explore the 'two years' that Jack never remembered in his life potentially, if there was enough room in the story.

River Song: I really missed River in Series 8 though it's understandable the show is trying to move on to new things...as it should. But I'd have her back in a heartbeat, in a story involving a time-travelling assemblage at the very least!

Weeping Angels: They've not appeared since early in Series 7, and by the end of Series 9 it will have been a good few years since they were last seen. For the sake of a Moffat swansong I'd happily see them again in a decent story. Maybe tie their plot loosely into the ongoing Gallifrey plot. Just the odd mention, or maybe an affiliation with another Timelord they have going on? Keep them interesting, keep them scary but don't pull away from their basic tactics of time displacement.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Good post, Abomination. Lot of great points there.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Weeping Angels: They've not appeared since early in Series 7,

They were in Last years Christmas Special (at least briefly).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to see Captain Jack's reaction to the new Doctor's resemblance to John Frobisher.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please for the love of God just let River die.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    River has done her bit - let it go !! No more River Song PLEASE!!!

Captain Jack is different - I'd love to see him return, and get on with The Doctor's latest companion (male or female?).
    Jack is llke a breath of fresh air to the show! River's story is done and dusted!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Jack and River and would be happy to see either back.

But River's last appearance did feel like a goodbye.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River has done her bit - let it go !! No more River Song PLEASE!!!

Captain Jack is different - I'd love to see him return, and get on with The Doctor's latest companion (male or female?).
    Jack is llke a breath of fresh air to the show! River's story is done and dusted!
    I'd actually like to see what someone else (other than Moffat) could do with her.

That's not a dig on Moffat. Lots of aspects of Who have been given new life when handled by different writers.

Never say never. Something new and intriguing could come of it.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    We've never seen how she came by her sonic screwdriver.

We don't need to see it - we were told how she came about it. We were told quite a few times that episode that the Doctor gave it to her.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    What's the big deal? Didn't he always say something like "as long as there's a sufficiently good story that required a return almost any character could come back"?

Well, except the Rani.

Obviously.

And some characters he would need more persuading than others. :)
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    We don't need to see it - we were told how she came about it. We were told quite a few times that episode that the Doctor gave it to her.
    Maybe you don't feel you need to see it, but for many of us, it is a major point of her story and given that we have seen practically every other pivotal moment in her life it just feels like a missing piece of the puzzle not to have the scene fleshed out on screen. For me, given the backwards nature of their relationship and the fact that it was described on her first episode, her story will never feel it has gone full circle for me unless we see the scene in question.

The supposed goodbye in name was to a computer echo. the real river unwittingly said goodbye to 'her doctor' at derillium.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember when River walked by the window as Rory and Amy celebrated their wedding day. Maybe River could walk by The Doctor or get him to turn around, just for a moment.:D
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Remember when River walked by the window as Rory and Amy celebrated their wedding day. Maybe River could walk by The Doctor or get him to turn around, just for a moment.:D
    k9fan wrote: »
    Then Rory could come back - again and again and again.;-)

:):):)
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see Captain Jack's reaction to the new Doctor's resemblance to John Frobisher.

I'd be interested to see what RTD's plan was for having 2 Capaldi's in the Whoniverse pre-12.
    (Something which Moffat is aware of and said could still fit for the 12th Doctor too....)

Perhaps this can bring Jack back to the TARDIS, informing the Doctor his face is scattered throughout history, Bad Wolf style :D