Options

How were the Doctor Reveals Done in the Early days?

jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
As Matt and Peter were both announced in Tv events of sorts, i was just wondering if any of the older whovians could tell us how the reveal happened for Jon,Tom,Peter,Colin etc. as in those days there was no internet. im guess a newspaper article and a news report on the 6 o clock news :)

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tom,Peter and Colin were announced on BBC news.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember Peter, Colin and Sylvester being announced on the news, but no idea before that as was too young to remember Tom being announced. Assumed it was a press release that was picked up by the papers and then there was a photoshoot with the actor and later the costume reveal. (remember seeing a black and white photo in a tabloid of Colin in costume and thought it looked okay. But yeah, black and white is the key bit!)

Edit: Yep, it was all black and white in the olden times! My earliest memory of Who was 'Robot', and I only realised later that we didn't get a colour telly 'til 1976 so wouldn't have known Tom had a multi-coloured scarf! Eeeh, you youngsters with your colour TV's and ipeds and such like don't know your born. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember Peter, Colin and Sylvester being announced on the news, but no idea before that as was too young to remember Tom being announced. Assumed it was a press release that was picked up by the papers and then there was a photoshoot with the actor and later the costume reveal. (remember seeing a black and white photo in a tabloid of Colin in costume and thought it looked okay. But yeah, black and white is the key bit!)

Edit: Yep, it was all black and white in the olden times! My earliest memory of Who was 'Robot', and I only realised later that we didn't get a colour telly 'til 1976 so wouldn't have known Tom had a multi-coloured scarf! Eeeh, you youngsters with your colour TV's and ipeds and such like don't know your born. ;-)

Haha its werid coz back in them days if you missed the broadcast you couldnt watch it but now i can just series link it :) id have prefered to have watched Who back in those days.. no spoilers or filming reports :) now with all the social media, i can kind of get where the stories are going. :)
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    If I remember correctly, the fact that William Hartnell was leaving was certainly announced inthe papers as was the announcement of Troughton's casting. For some reason (old age perhaps?) I can't remember how Pertree's casting was made but I assume it was just in the papers. From Tom onwards new castings were announced on BBC news or on newsround and or on Blue Peter.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It was just news items, like the 6pm news mentioning that an X-Factor judge has quit or joined.

Between that and the first episode, later Doctors would appear on TV shows like Blue Peter or Saturday morning television.

With Moffat, it's become a circus.
  • Options
    kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Pertwee had a big photoshoot with various " big bads" - Including Daleks and Yeti IIRC. Odd as neither were in his first series

For The next change, I remember the news of Pertwee's departure was in a Friday newspaper with the announcement of Tom in the following Friday. Tom's photoshoot included the cybermen as it was also announced that they were returning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry im going on :) but im really intrested in how Who was done in the old days but where the Classic Doctors well known as actors before they landed the role? like with Peter C people know who he is because of The Thick of it

Again sorry if it sounds like im being nosey :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure others can go into more detail, but would say certainly Peter Davison was very high profile when cast as not only had he been a big hit in All Creatures Great and Small but he had both an ITV AND a BBC sitcom at the time of casting. Myself, I knew him more from Once Upon A Story, an ITV version of Jackanory. Yep, Sir Peter D was a busy lad at the time!
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry im going on but im really intrested in how Who was done in the old days but where the Classic Doctors well known as actors before they landed the role? like with Peter C people know who he is because of The Thick of it

Again sorry if it sounds like im being nosey

Hartnell was very well known from another long running series, The Army Game, and numerous films including Brighton Rock.
    Troughton was another fairly well known character actor, both on TV and in films, but less so perhaps than Hartnell.
    Pertwee was very well known for character parts on TV and in films, and for long running radio series.
    T.Baker was fairly unknown, working as a labourer at the time his casting was announced, but had already had fairly high profile roles in two huge films of the time, Nicholas and Alexandra (playing Rasputin) and a Sinbad film, playing the villain.
    Davison was a well-known British TV personality in All Creatures Great and Small, and some comedy roles.
    C.Baker was another fairly well known face from British TV, having played a villain in seventies TV series, The Brothers.
    McCoy was well known to children of the seventies and early eighties from characters he played in Vision On, Jigsaw, Tiswas and Eureka.