Ben and Jerrys overrated or just me?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I think this brand is overrated (and overpriced). It seems to be very popular everywhere. I think most of the flavours are too complicated and it tastes very fatty

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I make my own ice cream and sorbets.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Ben and Jerrys overrated or just me?

Just you overrated:)
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,992
    Forum Member
    They are overrated. Nice ice cream but no better than other premium brands. They keep the prices high so people think they are getting more of a luxury product. Rip off.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I much prefer Ben & Jerrys to Hagen Daz(unless its Bailey's) and only really ever buy if they're on offer in Tesco or Asda.
    My favourite is Half Baked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overrated.... Carte D'or is better. Especially their Creme Brûlée ice cream....
  • Oliver Loxton-POliver Loxton-P Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh really, thanks for that.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

Is there anything you don't make at home? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I love them, Cookie Dough for me!

Some reviews.

Ben & Jerry's Core Peanut Butter Me Up

http://kevssnackreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/ben-jerrys-core-peanut-butter-me-up.html

Ben & Jerry's Clever Cookies

http://kevssnackreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ben-jerrys-clever-cookies.html
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this brand is overrated (and overpriced). It seems to be very popular everywhere. I think most of the flavours are too complicated and it tastes very fatty

Agreed. I prefer Hagen Dazs. Similarly overpriced but better flavours imo.
  • Magic TorchMagic Torch Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haagen Dazs for me - more subtle flavours than Ben & Jerrys, plus, the quality of Haagen Dazs Ice Cream (in my opinion) is far superior than any other brand.

There is an American Cookery show called 'Barefoot Contessa' - whenever the show's host is making anything requiring Ice Cream, she stresses that a good quality Ice Cream should be used, then proceeds to take a tub of Vanilla Haagen Dazs out of her freezer :)
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    They keep the prices high so people think they are getting more of a luxury product. Rip off.

Pretty sure prices are high because it's an import. Ben & Jerry's isn't expensive at all here.

Here's a picture of Ben & Jerry's pints at Walmart:
    http://i.imgur.com/XZs6G8H.jpg

That's 2 pints for $6. That comes out to £1.93 a pint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the "Ben and Jerry" or the "Haggan Daz" love for ice cream as I've been fortunate to taste wonderful ice cream in my life. Equis, Lucca , Delaval , Doddington - well I guess everyone knows I'm talking from a Northern point of taste. I even do my own ice cream and it is to me bloody gorgeous - mind you I don't always get it right when I try a new recipe. I asked for help here not long ago . I gave up and started again if anyone is interested.
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imogen had it with Alexandra Kate for Pizza Hut dessert.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haagen Dazs for me - more subtle flavours than Ben & Jerrys, plus, the quality of Haagen Dazs Ice Cream (in my opinion) is far superior than any other brand.

There is an American Cookery show called 'Barefoot Contessa' - whenever the show's host is making anything requiring Ice Cream, she stresses that a good quality Ice Cream should be used, then proceeds to take a tub of Vanilla Haagen Dazs out of her freezer :)

Most American brands of ice cream are of high quality, even local or regional store brands. Ben & Jerry's has some unique flavors that you can't find in other brands. If that is what you want then what it costs doesn't really matter since it will not be available elsewhere. Haagen Dazs is good American ice cream but I don't see it as any better than cheaper brands I can get here in America.
  • BlueZane00BlueZane00 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I think Ben & Jerry's is alright though the full price can be a bit steep. Sometimes the supermarkets put them on offer and I find myself purchasing a few tubs.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's alright, I do like the Phish Food one. I very rarely buy ice cream though as I have an ice cream maker and I enjoy making it and experimenting with different flavours both sweet and savoury.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

What a surprise.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Pretty sure prices are high because it's an import. Ben & Jerry's isn't expensive at all here.

How many ml in an American pint?
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many ml in an American pint?

• Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always get the feeling people think they're being a bit alternative having Ben and Jerry's. Like with all the 'kooky' flavours and what not.
  • ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

So not much cheaper than here...it's always on offer somewhere at half price - around £2.25.

I'm not a big fan to be honest...the flavours we get here are quite bland and the ice cream isn't very good quality. Haagen Dazs is on a whole other level! :cool:
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I always get the feeling people think they're being a bit alternative having Ben and Jerry's. Like with all the 'kooky' flavours and what not.

Or.... For the overwhelming majority of people who buy it, they do it because they like the flavour?... I.e me.

Or am I only doing it to appear cool and out there? :rolleyes:

Says more about you if you really think that's why people buy it.... What on earth is there cool and kooky about ice cream? What is cool about buying some ice cream and enjoying it in the comfort of your own home? Do people buy it and then go around showing off their purchase? Honestly.... Any excuse for a dig at people eh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi do a cheapo rip off version which is nice. Called chunky monkey.

My favourite ice cream is Marks & Spencers peanut butter and salted caramel *dies*
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or.... For the overwhelming majority of people who buy it, they do it because they like the flavour?... I.e me.

Or am I only doing it to appear cool and out there? :rolleyes:

Says more about you if you really think that's why people buy it.... What on earth is there cool and kooky about ice cream? What is cool about buying some ice cream and enjoying it in the comfort of your own home? Do people buy it and then go around showing off their purchase? Honestly.... Any excuse for a dig at people eh?

You're definitely one who buys it to be 'out there'.

It's not big and it's not clever Elissa.
    Forum Member
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    Aldi do a cheapo rip off version which is nice. Called chunky monkey.

My favourite ice cream is Marks & Spencers peanut butter and salted caramel *dies*

My two favourite things in the world, will have to get some of that.