The iPhone has much better reception than Android phones?

GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
Forum Member
I've tried many, many Android phones and I am definitely staying with Android but something interesting I have noticed is that the iPhone has much better reception than Android phones?

For example, if I put an iPhone 4S right next to an HTC One M8, the iPhone gets a signal of -81dBm, whereas the M8 gets a signal of -91dBm.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the two phones on the same service provider? Are they both receiving from the same cell site? Are they both using the same frequency band? Have they been calibrated against a test instrument to see how accurately they measure the signal strength?

As you can see there are all sorts of variables in there that could easily make any comparison invalid.

Plus I suspect that the OS plays only a small part in this. If you could load Android onto the iPhone or iOS onto the HTC I suspect you would get similar readouts on each device whatever OS it is using. It's more the hardware in the phones that determines signal strength than the software.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 'dead' spot in my lounge where my previous iPhone 5 and Sony Xperia Z always lost reception on EE/3. I've now got a HTC One M8 and am able to sit in that spot and make and sustain a call with no problem at all.

To me that says the HTC One M8 has superior reception, at least on 1800/2100 mhz networks.

To say as a broad statement that the iPhone has better reception than all Android phones is a big over-generalisation.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    daveyfs wrote: »
    To say as a broad statement that the iPhone has better reception than all Android phones is a big over-generalisation.

That's perfectly fair enough :)

In my experience, iPhones have better reception than Android phones. But it's worth saying that I prefer Android as a platform hence I use it over iOS.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    That's perfectly fair enough :)

In my experience, iPhones have better reception than Android phones. But it's worth saying that I prefer Android as a platform hence I use it over iOS.

You cannot say iPhones have a better reception than Android phones and expect to be taken seriously. It's just so typical of this place to compare an iPhone "handset" to Android which is an operating system. It's like saying my computer is better than Windows 8.

It's makes no sense at all to anyone even slightly technically minded. You could say perhaps in your opinion iOS is better at receiving gsm/LTE or whatever than Android but the even that doesn't work.

You're also saying you've compared the 3 iPhones currently in production with the 5000 Different Android devices in production and found the iPhone to be the better. Which I strongly suspect you have not done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I compared an iPhone 5C and a Moto G, In 1 area of my house the iPhone had 2 bars while the Moto G none however try to make a call on the iPhone and the call fails.
    Forum Member
    In my experience, the HTC One M8 has worse reception than the iPhone 4S. The Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G3, Moto X, Moto G, Moto E also have worse reception than the iPhone 4S in my experience.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I disagree.

The posts above, especially the second one contain the reasons why I disagree. I've used plenty of phones which have had a stronger signal than an iPhone.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I disagree.

The posts above, especially the second one contain the reasons why I disagree. I've used plenty of phones which have had a stronger signal than an iPhone.

Can you name one please? I'm just looking for an Android phone with stronger signal than the iPhone.
    Forum Member
    Can you name one please? I'm just looking for an Android phone with stronger signal than the iPhone.

My LG G Pro 2 for one.

A lot of Motorola phones I've used have also had better signal, the Atrix and Atrix 2 were good.
    Forum Member
    My LG G Pro 2 for one.

A lot of Motorola phones I've used have also had better signal, the Atrix and Atrix 2 were good.

I'll take a look at then thanks :)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Nexus 5. Seemed to be better than my dads old 5S when we sat in Costa for coffee. His new galaxy S5 gets a signal where his 5S couldn't as well.
    Forum Member
    I'll take a look at then thanks :)

One thing that may be of interest to you is the blue tick phone list from Australian providers like telstra and optus.

If you Google blue tick phones then you should be able to find a list of them. Blue tick phones are phones that work/perform better in rural areas and in fringe coverage areas. Aussies trust the list as the phones have only been given a blue tick if they perform above a certain standard.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can some qualified research be posted to confirm what the OP has stated?
    Forum Member
    One thing that may be of interest to you is the blue tick phone list from Australian providers like telstra and optus.

If you Google blue tick phones then you should be able to find a list of them. Blue tick phones are phones that work/perform better in rural areas and in fringe coverage areas. Aussies trust the list as the phones have only been given a blue tick if they perform above a certain standard.

I'll take a look.

Thanks a lot :)
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Nexus 5. Seemed to be better than my dads old 5S when we sat in Costa for coffee. His new galaxy S5 gets a signal where his 5S couldn't as well.

Other thing is the physically larger phones can have more antennas within the case.

and looking at "bars" or "circles" is not a real measure, you have to use the dbm values, nice widget for Android I have on my Moto G and the iPhone gives them in Field Test mode.

iOS does an interesting evaluation of 'quality' as well as raw signal strength (since the 'Antennagate' furore), whereas all other phones just report strength - when deciding how many 'bars' to show.
  • Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I've tried many, many Android phones and I am definitely staying with Android but something interesting I have noticed is that the iPhone has much better reception than Android phones?

For example, if I put an iPhone 4S right next to an HTC One M8, the iPhone gets a signal of -81dBm, whereas the M8 gets a signal of -91dBm.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Well, I suspect about this but have you looked down the Android devices, does both the devices have the SIM card from the same provider? I have also seen that if you are using Prepaid connection then the signal tower is different, and while you use PostPaid connection the signal providers are different I think that may be the reason behind this mismatch and yes one more thing I wouldn't think that this -10dBm is going to make any difference.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand all the technical things like bDm etc but I do know that where I live which is a black spot for mobile phones - I get a better signal more often with my HTC One M8 than I ever did with my iPhones. Also wi-fi connectivity is more certain with my Android devices than they were on my iPads and iPhones.
  • daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I suspect about this but have you looked down the Android devices, does both the devices have the SIM card from the same provider? I have also seen that if you are using Prepaid connection then the signal tower is different, and while you use PostPaid connection the signal providers are different I think that may be the reason behind this mismatch and yes one more thing I wouldn't think that this -10dBm is going to make any difference.
    I see the poster is from New York? This may make sense in America but it doesn't here.
    Forum Member
    I see the poster is from New York? This may make sense in America but it doesn't here.

That's just what I was thinking.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,056
    Forum Member

You can figure it out though. Prepaid means.... prepaid (also known as pay as you go). Post Paid must mean 'contract', or pay monthly.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    You can figure it out though. Prepaid means.... prepaid (also known as pay as you go). Post Paid must mean 'contract', or pay monthly.

That's not what we meant.

The stuff about prepaid and postpaid accounts connecting to different towers and getting different reception isn't true in the UK.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,056
    Forum Member
    That's not what we meant.

The stuff about prepaid and postpaid accounts connecting to different towers and getting different reception isn't true in the UK.

I don't think its true in the US either though.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I don't think its true in the US either though.

I think there was truth in it a while ago in the UK, but now the networks wouldn't want the bad publicity given the volume of prepay/PAYG customers is higher than contract.
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    I think there was truth in it a while ago in the UK, but now the networks wouldn't want the bad publicity given the volume of prepay/PAYG customers is higher than contract.

The only thing I can think of is MVNOs getting lower priority on O2 masts but the masts they use aren't different.

:confused:
    Forum Member
    The only thing I can think of is MVNOs getting lower priority on O2 masts but the masts they use aren't different.

:confused:

That's correct. MVNO's are usually given a lower priority overall.