Gazza Makes Comeback

2»

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an illness whether he gets help and keeps off the booze for 12 months he will return to the bottle and will unfortunately and sadly end the way George Best did.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    Please, enlighten me..

It's not 'simply staying away' from something, that's just a question of willpower and control. Addiction takes that away, it's not some form of weakness.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Redknapp offered Gazza a coaching job at QPR? Is that serious?

Gazza could have been great at coaching young talent, as he had absolutely brilliant 'basics' and was great with the ball - somthing English players don't normally excel in. I just don't know if he's still able to do it.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looks like Sir John Gielgud
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »

Gazza could have been great at coaching young talent, as he had absolutely brilliant 'basics' and was great with the ball - somthing English players don't normally excel in. I just don't know if he's still able to do it.

No he didn't. I heard the interview, he said that he offered for him to come and train with his squad to keep fit/ give him a healthy distraction etc. He went on to say that he did not take him up on it and said it in quite a disparaging tone, I interpreted what he said to mean that Gascoigne did not want to help himself.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    No he didn't. I heard the interview, he said that he offered for him to come and train with his squad to keep fit/ give him a healthy distraction etc. He went on to say that he did not take him up on it and said it in quite a disparaging tone, I interpreted what he said to mean that Gascoigne did not want to help himself.

Or it could be that hanging around a football squad being part and parcel of what that entails and seeing what he missed out on and what he has lost in life could be bad for his mental health.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to be tasteless but seeing the photo on the front page of the Sun made me think that Paul Gascoigne is not much longer for this world.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah fair enough, I only saw the headline. I know Gazza once said that he had turned down a pundit job in the past, but I don't know how true that is.

Those pictures are awful. George Best never looked so bad even at his worst and he was more than a decade older than Paul then. I guess George Best was magnificently looking to start with, but still Paul aged TERRIBLY.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    I don't want to be tasteless but seeing the photo on the front page of the Sun made me think that Paul Gascoigne is not much longer for this world.

Sadly you are probably right, he will recover this time i think but if he carries on drinking which is almost a given, considering how ill he is with his mental health issues and his addictive personality then i personally give him 2 to 3 years tops and that is being on the generous side. It is sad to think that someone with so much talent and who had the world at his feet and had everything you could ever wish for will more than likely of drank himself to death by the age of 50.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really looks old and hagged in the pictures. I'm surprised he's still alive. It's such a shame.

Gary Linker has said " that he needs to help himself " - l suppose he's helped in the past and the problem is he's relapsed and keeps on doing it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28900636
    "I saw him about a month ago and I said 'I will pick you up in the mornings Gazza, come training with me. Do a little bit of work with the kids.'
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I'm surprised he's still alive.

You seem more a disappointed death junkie.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Sadly you are probably right, he will recover this time i think but if he carries on drinking which is almost a given, considering how ill he is with his mental health issues and his addictive personality then i personally give him 2 to 3 years tops and that is being on the generous side. It is sad to think that someone with so much talent and who had the world at his feet and had everything you could ever wish for will more than likely of drank himself to death by the age of 50.

The mental health 'issue' is moot. Alcohol causes depression and occasionally psychosis. It is debatable that they would occur in the same individual if they do not abuse alcohol (or drugs)
  • computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who do you think is more messed up. Ozzy Osbourne or Gazza?
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It's not 'simply staying away' from something, that's just a question of willpower and control. Addiction takes that away, it's not some form of weakness.

I'm sorry, but that's pretty much how I see it. With a mental illness, I'm sympathetic towards someone's internalised mental state being problematic. But an addicts issue is usually, and within this case, an external stimulus, that remains an inanimate object, that they must always reach out for - It never comes to them.

The primary treatment for addicts is the removal of their addiction: the substance & why the mind wants it.

Anyway, I don't really want to discuss this here. Its not really the place. So to keep this on topic. We can all agree, Gascoigne is destroying himself and needs help.