Options

STV HD Coming To Sky+ HD?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
Forum Member
✭✭
The Sky+ HD advertisement, "The World Cup In High Definition", currently playing on Sky Sports News, contains the following small print:

"World Cup HD coverage on ITV1 HD, STV HD and BBC HD available without subscription"

Fingers crossed this is correct, and that STV HD launches on Sky+ HD at the same time as DTT & Virgin Media...

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make sense.

Coronation Street is also going HD. Underbelly is probably HD if it was on FX.

Shame they won't show the FA Cup and make full use of the channel.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this has already been discussed at length in another thread, and to STV Director of Broadcast Services & Regulatory Affairs does not know why Sky have STV in the ad because as it stands STV are currently nowhere near launching on Sky.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    this has already been discussed at length in another thread, and to STV Director of Broadcast Services & Regulatory Affairs does not know why Sky have STV in the ad because as it stands STV are currently nowhere near launching on Sky.
    Launching on Sky and being available on a Sky box are two different things - as we remember with ITVHD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EPG testing for what appears to be STV HD has started today, will have video test within a few days :)
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On other channels>

10.935 GHz V
    SR:22000
    FEC:5/6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Come on. We heard it all with ITV1 HD.

It will come, delayed or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky still shouldn't be advertising a channel that doesn't currently exist though.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky still shouldn't be advertising a channel that doesn't currently exist though.

If they know for a fact that STV HD will be there for the WC I see no problem in advertising it in that context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    If they know for a fact that STV HD will be there for the WC I see no problem in advertising it in that context.

we'll see.
    STV are still denying any knowledge, and have told me via email that they have contacted sky to ask them to stop the advertisement.

whether what they say is true or not i can't say. all i can say is what they told me.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we'll see.
    STV are still denying any knowledge, and have told me via email that they have contacted sky to ask them to stop the advertisement.

whether what they say is true or not i can't say. all i can say is what they told me.

Bit strange that, considering it's actually in test mode!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did they not show the new SyFy HD logo miles before it was rebranded? Why should they not advertise it? It could be launching before the World Cup? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they not show the new SyFy HD logo miles before it was rebranded? Why should they not advertise it? It could be launching before the World Cup? :p

as i said, i'm just telling you what the Director of Broadcast Services & Regulatory Affairs told me via email (that they were not aware that sky were advertising stvhd and that they had contacted them to ask them to stop).

he also told me that they were concentrating on getting the channel on Freeview and Freesat, and that Sky wasn't in their thoughts at the moment (this of course could change at any point). that would expain why tests are now visible, doesn't necessarily mean that will be on the EPG though.

i'm in the stv region so of course want access to this, i'm just telling you what i've been told by stv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as i said, i'm just telling you what the Director of Broadcast Services & Regulatory Affairs told me via email (that they were not aware that sky were advertising stvhd and that they had contacted them to ask them to stop).

When was the email sent to you? As they haven't stopped and whereas before it was only on adverts broadcast by third party channels like C4, I understand it's now being mentioned on the Sky versions too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    When was the email sent to you? As they haven't stopped and whereas before it was only on adverts broadcast by third party channels like C4, I understand it's now being mentioned on the Sky versions too.

last night.... i emailed them again when i saw this post about the ad still running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last night.... i emailed them again when i saw this post about the ad still running.

Did you mention the reported tests on 10936V too?
  • Options
    kmmoorekmmoore Posts: 357
    Forum Member

Maybe you should e-mail him back and ask why STV HD are currently testing on the Sky platform then ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But they're advertising it in context of the World Cup, which doesn't currently exist yet either!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmmoore wrote: »
    Maybe you should e-mail him back and ask why STV HD are currently testing on the Sky platform then ?

are they testing on the sky platform, or is it just that the sky box can pick up the freesat test ?

and why don't you ask him yourself?
    his email address is bobby.hain@stv.tv.
    i get the sense you lot think i am making this up. feel free to email him and see what answer you get.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kmmoore wrote: »

They are not. They are testing on the SES Astra 28.8 deg satellite "platform". It just so happens that this "platform" carries Sky's programming (but also freesats). It is currently carrying STV SD's EPG data but that is probably just because they are relaying the SD channel (a fairly common early part of testing is to relay a feed from another of your channels) and is no gurantee that they intend to launch on Sky HD).

FWIW, I doubt that without Sky's Scottish HD base STV HD would be able to get enough advertising revenue to be viable. My guess is that Sky and STV are "in talks" and someone in Sky jumped the gun a little and will have had their knuckles rapped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    It is currently carrying STV SD's EPG data but that is probably just because they are relaying the SD channel (a fairly common early part of testing is to relay a feed from another of your channels) and is no gurantee that they intend to launch on Sky HD).

If you go to 3855 via 'other channels' and press i then select, the EPG programme info changes from 'DD, S' to 'HD,AD,C', to 'AD,DS,W,S'.

Exactly the same as the three ITV HD channels show, when accessed through other channels,

They did that when they were testing too and just the blue screen appeared.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this helps or confuses matters but i get the feeling that STV are hedging their bets about being able to launch STV HD via Sky or Freesat in time for the world cup.
    i.e. STV are waiting to see how the satelitte feed performs before committing.

I emailed STV Viewer Enquiries on the 23rd...

Original Message
    Sent: 23 May 2010 17:57
    To: STV Viewer Enquiries
    Subject: STV High Definition on SKY?

Hi,

I've read reports that STV plan to launch a High Definition service in
    time for the World Cup, but those reports only appear to refer to
    Freeview (digital terrestrial) and Virgin Media (digital cable).

For example:
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/171687-stv-sells-off-peal-and-d
    ean-for-1/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/21/stv-hd-service
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/04/21/stv-to-launch-hd-before-world-
    cup/

Can you clarify whether or not STV HD will be available to subscribers
    of SKY in time for the World Cup?

If the channel is not going to be made available to SKY subscribers in
    time for the World cup, are you able to give an indication when it might
    be?

Regards,

I got this reply on the 24th, i found it interesting that whilst i mentioned "World Cup" 3 times, STV never mentioned it at all in their reply.
    Read into that what you want. ;)
    from STV Viewer Enquiries <viewerenquiries@stv.tv>
    to <snip>
    date 24 May 2010 15:47
    subject RE: STV High Definition on SKY?

Dear Mr <snip>

Thank you for your email.

STV HD has been announced and will initially be available via Digital
    Terrestrial (DTT) HD and Virgin cable. As digital switchover progresses,
    the DTT service will become universally available though we appreciate
    this will take some time. However, STV will be part of the advance
    network, bringing HD on DTT to over half of Scottish homes served by the
    Black Hill transmitter immediately.

We absolutely want to have STV HD on satellite too and are working with
    Sky, Freesat and ITV Network with a view to the service being available
    soon. Hopefully we will be in a position to announce further
    developments shortly.

Thank you for your interest in STV HD - we are working hard to get the
    service up and running as soon as possible.

Kind Regards

stv Viewer Contact
    Tel: 0141 300 3704
    Email: yourview@stv.tv

hth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's just the same stock answer i originally got from STV before i got hold of someone higher up to give a personal "non stock" reply.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you care to share the "non stock" reply in verbatim because it didn't appear from an earlier post of yours today that he was even aware that STV were working with Sky at all.
    ...he also told me that they were concentrating on getting the channel on Freeview and Freesat, and that Sky wasn't in their thoughts at the moment (this of course could change at any point)...
    Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=40499828&postcount=13
  • Options
    BannsiderBannsider Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I find that STV and UTV are very unhelpful in their attitude to their customers.

This HD issue is just another example of ignorance trying to cover up incompetence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doddie wrote: »
    Would you care to share the "non stock" reply in verbatim because it didn't appear from an earlier post of yours today that he was even aware that STV were working with Sky at all.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=40499828&postcount=13

I posted his email addres. Why don't you email yourself for a response?

I'm not here to try and convince you either way. I was just posting what I was told.

I want stv hd now, but I think some people may be jumping the gun slightly.

Certainly the director at stv I was in contact with had no idea why sky had decided to advertise stv hd and said that they would be contacted to stop doing so.