Capital FM - Has it become the absolute dirge of the British Music Industry?

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to my local radio station which isn't bad, it mixes a few chart songs with oldies and I also listen to Gold.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    I suppose you know what you're getting when you listen to be fair. You'll get nothing different or challenging.

What did shock me was when Capital and the whole Global network banned One Direction songs for THREE months because one of the kids mistakenly thanked R1 instead of Capital at the Brits. :eek:

I'm not a 1D fan at all but what a mean spirited,selfish and petty thing to do. Indicates the values of the management there.

This was done to benefit rival boyband The Wanted (Global Talent connections) imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The who reason why Capital is so "repetitive" is because we want people to hear the biggest hits when they drive to work/home/go shopping. If we had a larger playlist then people would hear older non current songs which aren't a good reflection on the brand and our advertisers would prefer we avoid it.

Capital is The UK's No.1 Hit Music Station - people want to hear the hits, and that's what we deliver.

With over 7.1m listeners tuning in to the Capital Network every week, we must be doing something right.
  • LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their playlist consists of:

Domino
    LaserLight
    Mama Do The Hump
    Next To Me
    Starships
    Titanium
    Turn Me On
    We Found Love
    Where Have You Been
    Call My Name
    Chasing The Sun
    Lego House

over and over and over and over and over.....:eek:

These songs are so over played.
  • habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Crazy wrote: »
    The who reason why Capital is so "repetitive" is because we want people to hear the biggest hits when they drive to work/home/go shopping. If we had a larger playlist then people would hear older non current songs which aren't a good reflection on the brand and our advertisers would prefer we avoid it.

Capital is The UK's No.1 Hit Music Station - people want to hear the hits, and that's what we deliver.

With over 7.1m listeners tuning in to the Capital Network every week, we must be doing something right.

I dont know if you work for capital or not but i just want to thank you for the one direction ban! any chance on making it permanent? Also can you tell these weird alexandra burke fans that your not playing her new stuff because it is shite!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No they don't. I stopped listening to Heart because they play the same songs over and over again - they even play them at exactly the same time! It's ridiculous, my local station had a no repeat workday policy until it got over taken by Fart.. sorry I mean Heart.
  • LunarLegendLunarLegend Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you work for capital?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you work for capital?

Does it matter if I work for them or not?

I do some Casual work for Global when I can so kind of by the way.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do some Casual work for Global when I can so kind of by the way.

So you are slightly biased towards them then?;)

People who listen to the radio don't care about advertisers and what they want, they want to hear good music. Not the same three songs over and over again.
  • LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello TV Crazy! It's lovely to have someone connected to Global contributing to this thread and it's interesting the points you make.

Could you clarify who makes the decisions which songs are to be played and how many times they are to be played a day. Also whether you consider there is any conflict of interest in continuous playing of artists connected financially to Global. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello TV Crazy! It's lovely to have someone connected to Global contributing to this thread and it's interesting the points you make.

Could you clarify who makes the decisions which songs are to be played and how many times they are to be played a day. Also whether you consider there is any conflict of interest in continuous playing of artists connected financially to Global. :)

Hi LancashireLass2,

Ah unfortunately I don't work that side of Capital I'm afraid so won't be able to answer your questions.

I would imagine the decisions are made my the programme director of Capital.

Thanks

TV Crazy
  • LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replying TV Crazy. :) Thought we might be about to get some specific clarification there for a minute. :(;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they can now add to their list of accomplishments... ruining Alexandra's career. Idiots.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't we say this about most commercial radio though? I really think the rot set in back in the 90's. Many of them adopted policies of only playing manufactured major label pap and whatever cheesy dance tune was doing the rounds this week. I remember when I still cared about what was in the charts back then, and I'd always be dumbfounded as to why I'd see so much crap. You'd then realise the crap got in the charts because of the commercial radio stations. Oh and MTV, which generally on played videos on a basis of whether they had any hot babes in.

I think we are very, very, very lucky we have the BBC in this country and Radio 1. Sure it has its flaws. To put a name to that flaw: the wretched, vile, not interested in playing any music, painfully unfunny but ever totally in love with his own voice Chris Moyles, who is well past his sell by date they really need to dump (he‘d be perfect for Capital-take him please)! But at least they will occasionally play things on a basis of merit, due to the fact that they aren't responsible to advertisers and evil corporate overlords.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, when you're obviously a desperate brown-noser who would defend them no matter what.

As someone else said, listeners don't care about advertisers and the business side of things. They do care about good music - they just don't want to hear the same three songs every hour. What's invalid about their complaint?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These commercial stations which rotate recent Top 40 hits every 90 minutes or so are very popular. They're particularly big in America, and over there they tend to be more repetitive than Capital - the most played track can come round every 50 minutes.

Atlantic 252 brought this format to the UK/Ireland and was huge in the 1990s, it only suffered because it was on Long Wave so had crap quality against FM stations like (ironically) Capital, Kiss etc.

Here's a playlist from a Capital style station in New York: http://923now.cbslocal.com/playlist/ Rihanna's "Where Have You Been" has been played 16 times in 15 hours so far today! :eek:
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guess nothing changes;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBdsMglGUu4

there's a tower in the heart of london
    with a radio station right at the top
    they don't make the city beat
    they're making all the action stop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's a bit disingenuous. Capital doesn't just play the hits, it also makes the hits. If it only played the hits then it wouldn't play songs until after they'd charted, but that clearly isn't the case.

Radio is still the most influential medium for chart success and Capital is one of the largest stations in the country and what they playlist directly effects the charts. Which is why people have a problem with them playlisting such a narrow selection of songs (much narrower than Radio1) and playing them so frequently. Capital FM has a lot of power and trying to absolve any responsibility by saying 'well, it's just what people want to hear and we're successful so we must be right', isn't good enough. Especially when Capital FM is owned by Global, who also manage certain acts like The Wanted/Lawson who get heavy airplay on Capital.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is they seem to snub new songs whilst still playing the likes of Moves Like Jagger, Domino, Mama Do The Hump and Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) which have all been out since Christmas and have long since left the top 40.

We're into June and I still here Domino more than LaserLight or Mama Do The Hump over Traveller's Chant.
  • spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Nyota wrote: »
    I'm no 1D fan at all but that is shocking and just nasty. How on earth is something like that not some kind of breach of regulations/abuse of power?

Disgusting.

That was definitely nasty, and because of that, I totally boycotted Capital - and told everyone else to - even though I used to listen to them.
    When I had no Capital, I used Spotify, and my Mp3 player - and still got all of my 1D music :D
    Forum Member
    Crapital make even Heart sound good.

Nah... Heart apparently play "more music variety" - I listen to capital now because heart do NOT play any variety at all!
    Forum Member
    This was done to benefit rival boyband The Wanted (Global Talent connections) imo.

To be honest I don't care why they did it but it was nasty of them to do it. The governors of radio (even higher up than Global!!!) should have told Global NOT to do this crazy thing.

If Global, or anyone else to that fact, do ANYTHING like that again, I will be smashing all radios into oblivion and using MP3's or music streaming services instead.

Rant over.:D
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Just needs to move with the chart. CHR isn't about variety or who has the biggest playlist. That's the job of AC.
    Forum Member
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    I suppose you know what you're getting when you listen to be fair. You'll get nothing different or challenging.

What did shock me was when Capital and the whole Global network banned One Direction songs for THREE months because one of the kids mistakenly thanked R1 instead of Capital at the Brits. :eek:

I'm not a 1D fan at all but what a mean spirited,selfish and petty thing to do. Indicates the values of the management there.

I actually put a few comments up on my own Google+ profile about this - how on earth could they so such thing? Capital/Global were absolutely VILE in doing this; people such as OFCOM (or anyone else like that) should have stopped them from doing that.
    That was what made Capital FM the absolute dirge of the British Music Industry.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    spotify95 wrote: »
    I actually put a few comments up on my own Google+ profile about this - how on earth could they so such thing? Capital/Global were absolutely VILE in doing this; people such as OFCOM (or anyone else like that) should have stopped them from doing that.
    That was what made Capital FM the absolute dirge of the British Music Industry.

They didn't breach any rules so they wouldn't need to do anything. They don't have to play any particular artist, just as long as they meet the contemporary music quota.