Receptionist who put the call through

Comments

• fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hicken wrote: »
    By definition it wasn't harmless. It has caused terrible harm.

As somebody said earlier when you toy with people's lives and emotions you can set off events that are way beyond what you imagine. But they are still the consequences of your actions. You can't simply slice them away and call them a separate issue.

Absolutely...the second the call was made it was not an 'isolated prank'...it immediately implicated others, the results of which were never in a million years going to be anything but detrimental to those on the receiving end of the call.....be that a written/verbal or any other disciplinary measures.
    Just because the outcome was supposed to be 'funny' it doesn't change the outcome of how others react who did not find it so funny, however extreme it may appear.. I do not see how the actions of some and the reaction of others are isolated.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    The point is that this was a prank where you could telegraph awful consequences for a person who made a mistake... a mile off.

Ok you didn't know they were going to kill themselves but you knew there was a massive chance this person could lose their job and thus have their life seriously take a turn for the worse. That it was a prank that relied on somebody making a mistake, a mistake that could seriously impact on a persons life.

There's nothing wrong with pranks, however there is seriously something worrying about people who lack the ability to step outside of their own little universe and understand actions have consequences.

These DJs didn't and they are now facing the consequences of their actions... consequences that have come back and slapped them in the face. That's tough luck.

These two seemed very smug and way too pleased with themselves afterwards too as if they were absolutely relishing their worldwide fame.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The radio station should be called out too. I read elsewhere, that they have previously done some nasty, questionable shows too. But by firing these 2 DJ's the station is taking the blame off itself.
    What else should they have done, really..
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Closing their Twitter accounts is probably sensible.

Really?. The mark of a coward imo. They can dish it out, but not take it.

DJs doing prank phone calls. I bet no Brits would do that, apart from Ross, Brand ...

But not to a hospital, eh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The radio station should be called out too. I read elsewhere, that they have previously done some nasty, questionable shows too. But by firing these 2 DJ's the station is taking the blame off itself.

And making prank calls to hospitals, emergency lines, police etc is irresponsible and not the least bit funny. These people are working to help people better their lives, get help and get healthy, there is no need for the ridicule and "pranks"

ALL radio stations have an editor normally working on the show at the time, so the radio station needs to be held responsible as well as the two DJ's.

Though I still think that the radio station can't be held responsible ultimately for the actions of the Nurse
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely...the second the call was made it was not an 'isolated prank'...it immediately implicated others, the results of which were never in a million years going to be anything but detrimental to those on the receiving end of the call.....be that a written/verbal or any other disciplinary measures.
    The prank and it's outcome are wovan together

I agree with you on this. They continued to mock and promote the prank even after news of this womans death today hit the headlines. The radio station has previously been told off for pranks which have crossed the line, for this reason I think they should be fired and the station fined. Perhaps a donation to the ladies family but that might be thrown back at them.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what did the radio station do to an interview with a 14 year old? heard that mentioned on the news but gave no details
  • Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what did the radio station do to an interview with a 14 year old? heard that mentioned on the news but gave no details

Here are its gory details:
    Sandilands' lie detector stunt caused an outcry after the girl was strapped to a polygraph machine and quizzed by her mother about whether she was sexually active.

2Day FM has since taken The Kyle and Jackie O Show off air and Sandilands has been sacked from his role as a judge on the hit Network Ten reality talent show Australian Idol.

The mother volunteered to quiz her daughter, now aged 14, despite apparently already knowing she had been assaulted.

"I've already told you the story about this, and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny," said the girl. "Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old."

Sandilands, who presented the show with Jackie O'Neil, was accused of further insensitivity when he asked: "Right, and is that the only sexual experience you've had?"

O'Neil then stepped in to end the interview and she and Sandilands apologised on air, saying they did not know the girl had been raped

They don't seem to have learnt anything because it goes on to say:
    2Day FM said the show had been put "into recess" pending a review of the incident and the way it interacts with its audience. In a statement the station added that Sandilands was "unable to perform his on-air duties at this time"

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/03/kyle-sandilands-dj-australian-idol
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I've already told you the story about this, and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny," said the girl. "Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old."

Sandilands, who presented the show with Jackie O'Neil, was accused of further insensitivity when he asked: "Right, and is that the only sexual experience you've had?"

What was the mother thinking? let alone the radio hosts.:(
  • Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. It beggers belief, quite frankly:(
  • cheachea Posts: 7,827
    Forum Member
    The lady who put the call through might have been blamed for by other collegues....just a suspicion. The nurse who actually gave out the personal information probably blamed her for the disciplinary action she is probably receiving. This is pure speculation from me.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I do not think the pranksters are really to blame here, regardless if they broke the law in other respects.
    What should be investigated is what type of reprimand she received that would make someone take their own life. It was a mistake, not the end of the world. No stupid royal is worth someone being put under such pressure that they feel suicide is the way out.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sidsgirl wrote: »
    nanscombe wrote:

Really?. The mark of a coward imo. They can dish it out, but not take it.

DJs doing prank phone calls. I bet no Brits would do that, apart from Ross, Brand ...

But not to a hospital, eh!

Get your quoting right, where did the bit in bold come from? Not me.
    nanscombe wrote: »

I wonder how many threats of violence and death they received from self appointed, self-righteous Twitter users?

• pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, and I still believe that it was harmless. The prank call in isolation was silly, and funny mainly because the accents were so bad.

That the fallout was so tragic is a separate issue.
    I totally disagree with that.
    The victim (even had she not killed herself) was the nurse they spoke to. The outcome was only ever going to hurt her,be it with a dressing down or the sack. She would be forever known as "that nurse who..." and had fingers pointed at her.
    Pranks are not always funny,many are simply nasty. This one was cruel from the start & would never have impacted on the Royals ,but only on the real victim,the nurse.
    Shame on them,insensitive thoughtless morons.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beanybun wrote: »
    Quite; I assume those who are so quick to damn the dj's concerned for their (admittedly unfunny prank) would extend this approach to phonejacker? Or numerous other tv shows? What about the guy who died on Noel Edmonds house party?

There is nothing new about prank calls or Inadvisable stunts of one sort or another. The point is the outcome was so remote as to be unidentifiable at the time, so less culpability than Noel Edmonds, in my view. Do we all refuse to watch deal or no deal thanks to this?

And how many people on this forum have ordered a pizza to a hated neighbour or teacher, or played what with hindsight can now be seen to be a cruel prank on a schoolmate or friend?

Tragic of course, but also rather weird. Clearly, there was more going on in this unfortunate lady's life than we know about.

Well yes. I have no idea what went on in her life or mind over the past 2/3 days, no one does, and until there's further news on this (via her partner or colleagues perhaps), it seems strange that so many people are making assumptions about what it was exactly that drove her to tragically take her own life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I can believe the hospital hadn't issued disciplinary proceedings I think it was a case not yet rather than they weren't planning to. I suspect both nurses were pulled aside in the aftermath but it should have been a case of making their policy clearer. Not a single nurse was told "It isn't likely the Queen will call personally but maybe her assistants and these are their names...."

Ultimately the buck stopped with the first nurse, who at 5.30am waspropbably knackered and I got the impression English wasn't her first language. HUGE generalisation but many nurses are here on visas. It may have been a fear of losing her family's right to residency, as well as income as well as reputation ON TOP OF other problems. I would hate this to be THE reason she needed out but as many have said peopl commit suicides for various reasons. Who are we to judge when we should wondering where the help and support was?
  • cheachea Posts: 7,827
    Forum Member
    I also have a strong feeling that her collegues probably gave her stick. They probably ostracised her and blamed her for making the hospital look like fools.
  • pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Well yes. I have no idea what went on in her life or mind over the past 2 days, no one does, and until there's further news on this (via her partner or colleagues perhaps), it seems strange that so many people are making assumptions about what it was exactly that drove her to tragically take her own life.
    It doesn't matter what else was going on in her life. She was working full time in a decent job and was not on sick leave so was functioning fully. Even IF she was a woman on the edge,that call was what pushed her into the abyss.....therefore those who took part in it are to blame.
    They have been wallowing in happy-clappy fame over it for days and enjoying the hi-fiving & back-slapping for their jolly jape....relishing the fame it brought them & streaming the call. How do you think the nurse felt,knowing that it was there for everyone to listen ,not just a limited audience ,but day after day after day for any Tom ,Dick or Harry to access ? That would be devastating for anyone ,no matter how hard-faced they might be. She couldn't face it:( .....those sick people deserve every insult heaped on them. Not such a jolly jape now eh ?
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    I do not think the pranksters are really to blame here, regardless if they broke the law in other respects.
    What should be investigated is what type of reprimand she received that would make someone take their own life. It was a mistake, not the end of the world. No stupid royal is worth someone being put under such pressure that they feel suicide is the way out.

Wait, how can this all be turned around to be blamed on Kate?

The pranksters made a fool out of the nurse, and felt no regret in humiliating her. The station aired the call after the poor nurse had killed herself. The DJ was proud of his little prank that at that point might have cost the nurses job. Of course they are to blame.

And, as of now, the nurses weren't reprimanded, according to the hospital. This could easily be proven false by the nurse's family, they do most likely know what was said to her.
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »

I disagree and think they played a part, they certainly caused distress to others....they may not have anticipated this tragic outcome.....but it is an absolute certainty that for all the 'laughs' any one may have gotten out of this, it would have a detrimental effect on others.
    Those that played the prank clearly felt that inconsequential and worth it. I don't.

Breach of confidentiality is extremely serious and is viewed as misconduct.....the worse case scenario following an inquiry could lead to job loss and removal of registration from the NMC, of which a registered nurse must be on to work.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, it wasn't the nurse on the ward apparently but the nurse who initially answered and forwarded the call.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people want their 15 minutes of fame no matter what the cost.

Has it come out how many of the Oh So Responsible and Ethical tabloids were after her? There's no way on this earth they'd let something like that slip quietly away and they probably compounded the embarrassment and stress she was under.

RIP to the poor woman. Another victim of "the media".:(
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Wait, how can this all be turned around to be blamed on Kate?

The pranksters made a fool out of the nurse, and felt no regret in humiliating her. The station aired the call after the poor nurse had killed herself. The DJ was proud of his little prank that at that point might have cost the nurses job. Of course they are to blame.

And, as of now, the nurses weren't reprimanded, according to the hospital. This could easily be proven false by the nurse's family, they do most likely know what was said to her.

Where was I blaming Kate? I just said, she's just not worth all the fuss.
    It was an incredibly silly prank, it's amazing it worked, it's not something extremely elaborate,it would be incredibly far fetched for them to predict someone would take their own life because of it.

Are you saying the hospital did not open any sort of investigation related to this incident? And that the nurses wouldn't be called in relation to this? Of course they were reprimanded, it's too soon for an official reprimand, but be sure that they were made aware that what they did was extremely serious and may have consequences. My cousin is a nurse in a big private hospital, and the first thing she said was that this nurses would be fired, they would be disciplined, and no way in hell they would keep their job.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well current reports suggest the hospital hadn't given a strong reprimand officially to the nurse? Unless they are lying of course
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    well current reports suggest the hospital hadn't given a strong reprimand officially to the nurse? Unless they are lying of course

They are not lying, they felt bad for their staff who'd been duped.

The radio station said 'sorry' and didn't mean a word of it...they are the ones who are liars.

If they meant sorry they would not have been promoting the hoax on the front page of their website.